quality of HP laptop display

I have just bought an HP nc6120 laptop and I am overall satisfied with it.

However, the quality of the display disappoints me, as it's noticeably worse
than my previous laptop: a Toshiba Satellite Pro, bought 3 years ago.

The images looks low-quality, like the range of colors would be limited.
This happens although the display settings are set to the maximum: 1024x728
32bit 16M colors

I would expect that notebook by a good brand (HP Compaq), would be at least
better than a 3 years old model.

At the end of this email, I reported the display and the video adapter specs
for both models.
Does anyone have comments on this?

Do these specs confirm a worst video quality of the HP model?

Or could it be a matter of not optimized settings?

Thanks a lot for any clarification!

Daniele

HP COMPAQ NC6120
=================

Display size
15.0-inch TFT XGA (1024 x 768 resolution and 16 M colors)
15.0-inch TFT SXGA+ (1400 x 1050 resolution and 16 M colors)

Display resolution
External video: 640 x 480, 800 x 600, 1024 x 768, 1280 x 1024, or 1600 x
1200 resolution (up to 100-Hz refresh rate dependent upon monitor
capability, resolution and color depth settings.

Video adapter description
Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 900 with up to 128-MB shared system
memory

TOSHIBA SATELLITE PRO 6100
=========================

DISPLAY:
a.. size : 14.1 "
a.. type : TFT colour display
a.. internal resolution : 1024 x 768
a.. dot pitch (HxV) : 0.279 x 0.279 mm
a.. typical contrast ratio : 150:1
a.. response rise/fall : 20/30 ms
a.. LCD brightness (AC adaptor, super bright) : 70
a.. LCD brightness (AC adaptor, bright) : 90
a.. LCD brightness (AC adaptor, semi bright) : 110
a.. LCD brightness (battery, super bright) : 5
a.. LCD brightness (battery, bright) : 10
a.. LCD brightness (battery, semi bright) : 30

GRAPHICS ADAPTOR:
a.. manufacturer : NVIDIA
a.. type : GeForce4T 420 Go
a.. memory : 16 MB
a.. memory type : DDR
a.. BitBlT : 256 bit
a.. bus clock speed : 66MHz x4
a.. 2D graphics accelerator : Yes
a.. 3D graphics accelerator : Yes
a.. open GL support : Yes
a.. direct 3D support : Yes
a.. motion compensation : Yes
a.. integrated TV encoder : Yes
a.. reduce TV out flicker : Yes
a.. multiple display support : Yes
a.. triangle setup : Yes
a.. connected bus : 4 x AGP bus
1 answer Last reply
More about quality laptop display

    "" wrote:
    > I have just bought an HP nc6120 laptop and I am overall
    > satisfied with it.
    >
    > However, the quality of the display disappoints me, as it's
    > noticeably worse
    > than my previous laptop: a Toshiba Satellite Pro, bought 3
    > years ago.
    >
    > The images looks low-quality, like the range of colors would
    > be limited.
    > This happens although the display settings are set to the
    > maximum: 1024x728
    > 32bit 16M colors
    >
    > I would expect that notebook by a good brand (HP Compaq),
    > would be at least
    > better than a 3 years old model.
    >
    > At the end of this email, I reported the display and the video
    > adapter specs
    > for both models.
    > Does anyone have comments on this?
    >

    > Do these specs confirm a worst video quality of the HP model?
    >
    > Or could it be a matter of not optimized settings?
    >

    > Thanks a lot for any clarification!
    >
    > Daniele
    >

    > HP COMPAQ NC6120
    > =================
    >
    > Display size
    > 15.0-inch TFT XGA (1024 x 768 resolution and 16 M colors)
    > 15.0-inch TFT SXGA+ (1400 x 1050 resolution and 16 M colors)
    >
    > Display resolution
    > External video: 640 x 480, 800 x 600, 1024 x 768, 1280 x
    > 1024, or 1600 x
    > 1200 resolution (up to 100-Hz refresh rate dependent upon
    > monitor
    > capability, resolution and color depth settings.
    >
    > Video adapter description
    > Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 900 with up to 128-MB
    > shared system
    > memory
    >

    > TOSHIBA SATELLITE PRO 6100
    > =========================
    >
    > DISPLAY:
    > a.. size : 14.1 "
    > a.. type : TFT colour display
    > a.. internal resolution : 1024 x 768
    > a.. dot pitch (HxV) : 0.279 x 0.279 mm
    > a.. typical contrast ratio : 150:1
    > a.. response rise/fall : 20/30 ms
    > a.. LCD brightness (AC adaptor, super bright) : 70
    > a.. LCD brightness (AC adaptor, bright) : 90
    > a.. LCD brightness (AC adaptor, semi bright) : 110
    > a.. LCD brightness (battery, super bright) : 5
    > a.. LCD brightness (battery, bright) : 10
    > a.. LCD brightness (battery, semi bright) : 30
    >
    > GRAPHICS ADAPTOR:
    > a.. manufacturer : NVIDIA
    > a.. type : GeForce4T 420 Go
    > a.. memory : 16 MB
    > a.. memory type : DDR
    > a.. BitBlT : 256 bit
    > a.. bus clock speed : 66MHz x4
    > a.. 2D graphics accelerator : Yes
    > a.. 3D graphics accelerator : Yes
    > a.. open GL support : Yes
    > a.. direct 3D support : Yes
    > a.. motion compensation : Yes
    > a.. integrated TV encoder : Yes
    > a.. reduce TV out flicker : Yes
    > a.. multiple display support : Yes
    > a.. triangle setup : Yes
    > a.. connected bus : 4 x AGP bus

    Dear Daniele,
    I solved a font clearness trouble.
    You have to change in Display Properties -> Appereance -> Effects ->
    "Use standard method to smooth edge of creen fonts".
    Using "Clear Type" method (by default in Xp Professional) I
    experienced a blurry definition of screen fonts.
    Standard Method is very very better.

    Ciao,

    Roberto

    PS: I first tried to upgrade monitor, adapter drivers, Intel Graphics
    media with no succesful results...

    Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/General-quality-HP-laptop-display-ftopict57153.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=298775

Graphics Cards Hewlett Packard Graphics Displays