ADV SRVR Routing

G

I use Win2K Adv Srvr's ICS to connect the other two pc's to the internet. I want to use one of the other pc'c as a server that is on 24x7. Are there any programs out there that can help me with this? I know that I can use a router but can't afford one right now. Any suggestions?

Jesse
AIM = fessy86

sparks219

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2001
why don't you put Win2k ADS on the computer that is on 24x7?

I had good luck with Wingate, it let me run a quake server through my ICS connection :)

Good luck

Sparks

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
(If you can't afford a router, how did you afford adv-srv? =)

Are you connecting with nic cards, serial, or phone (modem)?
They all set up with ICS, but you have to set up the modems a little differently than the serial or nic.

G

Use the RRAS feature of ADV server, your box can act as a router/nat/ICS/VPN tons of ways to do it.

I think 95% of the people with ADV server either have the 120 day version or its hacked. I still giggle when i see people on here saying my ADV server is broke!!

G

Well, I am not that terribly strong in 2000 server yet...we all gotta start somewhere. It's not broken, but I would love to know how hard/easy it is to setup NAT...That is what I want to do...one pc be a counter strike server and the other a file server for concerts....any help with the Router setup would be appreciated as I am going to start trying now. thanks

crapple0

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Alright, this is how my schite works:

<A HREF="http://www.crapple0.com/network diagram/network diagram.gif" target="_new">http://www.crapple0.com/network diagram/network diagram.gif</A>

Both machines run Win2k Adv Server, although only Alcatraz HAS to run it. All I had to do was enable Internet Connection sharing on Alcatraz. If you don't know where it is, right click on Network Neighborhood, click Properties...then do properties on your LAN connection.

Oh, also, you'll need 2 network cards in your server.

~Crapple0

"the greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist"

G

I have mine set up the same way. Adding another network card to your server is alot cheaper then buyinh a router. Also if you have a cable modem and your leaving your server on 24/7 then you better install a firewall (really cheap, around $30.00 for a software version).

----------------------------------
I bought a pentium once!
Everybody makes mistakes..

crapple0

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
or you can get ZoneAlarm (www.zonelabs.com, i believe, or look it up on download.com), which is free for personal use.

~Crapple0

"the greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist"