Upgrading from Windows 7 Ultimate RC to Windows 7 Professional?

Malice187

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2008
Is it possible? If so, how do I accomplish it? I've tried searching Google, but haven't been able to find anything... Any help would be MUCH appreciated. I have my Windows 7 Pro upgrade disc sitting on my desk begging me to install it. I just don't know how to go about it.

knotknut

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2007

Malice187

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2008
By that do you mean I can do a fresh install with my upgrade disc? How exactly do I do that? If you could tell me or give me a link to the step by step method, I would love you forever.

@knotknut: Thanks for that info! I will try that if all else fails.

Malice187

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2008
So that means I'm pretty much screwed?

If I install it via Windows 7 Enterprise, can I get rid of Enterprise after the install? Also, I have 2 1TB HDD's in my rig. One is for my OS and non-important files, and the other is for my important files. Could I move all my files onto my one HDD, remove it, then do the install, and add my other HDD back in after I'm done? Will all my data be okay by doing it that way?

Thanks for all the help so far guys.

reconviperone1

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006
Wow, what a difference, i installed windows 7 pro after using windows 7rc(i did a clean install not a upgrade), funny thing happened, my motherboard drivers for p35 ds3l didnt work from the disc like they did in rc, freespace is not compatible(was in rc), office xp is not compatible(was in rc), and to make things worse, i tried to restore a bakup from syncback and i cant because a profile doesnt exist(no more free software for backup gonna go with acronis true image, so i restore to any computer), all in all it's bee pretty miserable.

Malice187

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2008
HOW DO YOU DO A CLEAN INSTALL? Can you do it with the Upgrade disc? Could someone explain it to me PLEASE? I'm sorry, but I'm relatively new to this and Google is turning up nothing for me. PLEASE HELP! :(

Malice187

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2008
Thank you for that. :)

I will try that. Should I disconnect my other HDD's first so I don't lose any of my data, or can I leave them hooked up? If I do disconnect them, after the install will it be easy to recover my files?

G