Safe to Override Recommended Refresh Rates? (Viewsonic G220)

Hi all,

I was wondering how safe it is to exceed the
recommended refresh rates on a monitor?
I currently have a Viewsonic G220fb with
an NVidia Ti4200 card, and overriding the
refresh rate of 75hz to 100hz via the
Nvidia control panel.

I'm finding that 100hz is worlds apart
from 75hz, or even 85hz in
terms of eyestrain. Therefore, even if the new refresh
rate takes half a year off the life of the monitor,
it'll be well worth it. However, if it's any more than
that, I'll have to consider bumping it back down.
Thanks in advance guys

Thanks for the help guys.

Bob M:
I'm using a resolution of 1280x1024.
Viewsonic's recommended refresh rate
for that res is 85hz, which is the highest
refresh rate shown in the 'list all modes'
dropdown list (in display properties).
Would this be the maximum refresh rate?
Let me know if I'm within bounds.
Thanks again

<psychopomp@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I was wondering how safe it is to exceed the
> recommended refresh rates on a monitor?
> I currently have a Viewsonic G220fb with
> an NVidia Ti4200 card, and overriding the
> refresh rate of 75hz to 100hz via the
> Nvidia control panel.

I believe this monitor is good for up to 110 kHz horizontal
and up to 180 Hz vertical; as long as the timing in question does
not exceed these limits, you should not be having any real
impact on the monitor itself. You didn't mention the pixel
format ("resolution") you're using, so I can't tell how close you
are to these frequency limits.

I don't, of course, speak for Viewsonic (or anyone else) in
terms of the recommended usage of their products.

Bob M.