White lines on top of of the screen

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video (More info?)

I'm using a Philips 105S monitor, a 15'' CRT. I've been using it
daily for about 4 years. Recently it gives me a problem. After it is
turned on and used for about 10-15 minutes, white lines (not perfect
lines, more like snow or something) appear on the upper part of the
screen, they resemble screen corruption although it is possible to
see through it and work on the computer. The width of the corrupted
area is about an inch or maybe a little more.

They don't go away except if I turn the monitor off, let some time
(about 15 minutes) pass and turn it back on. I suspect it happens
when the monitors temperature reaches some point.

I tried the monitor on another computer and the same story happens.

What could it be? Has anyone seen this before?
6 answers Last reply
More about white lines screen
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video (More info?)

    On 23 Jun 2005 22:59:28 GMT, "Pink_isn't_well"
    <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

    >I'm using a Philips 105S monitor, a 15'' CRT. I've been using it
    >daily for about 4 years. Recently it gives me a problem. After it is
    >turned on and used for about 10-15 minutes, white lines (not perfect
    >lines, more like snow or something) appear on the upper part of the
    >screen, they resemble screen corruption although it is possible to
    >see through it and work on the computer. The width of the corrupted
    >area is about an inch or maybe a little more.
    >
    >They don't go away except if I turn the monitor off, let some time
    >(about 15 minutes) pass and turn it back on. I suspect it happens
    >when the monitors temperature reaches some point.
    >
    >I tried the monitor on another computer and the same story happens.
    >
    >What could it be? Has anyone seen this before?

    It may be a aged-onto-failure horizontal circuit capacitor.
    While the part itself may not be expensive, the time and
    expected (remaining) life of the monitor in combination with
    it's current value may not make it worth repairing.

    You (anyone) deserves better than an old 15" CRT these days.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video (More info?)

    > You (anyone) deserves better than an old 15" CRT these days.

    This statement doesn't necessarily apply to everyone !
    I have a 15" Compaq monitor on a machine running Windows 98 approx. 5 years
    old.

    I also own a laptop with a TFT screen ,approx. 2 years old. The CRT gives a
    much clearer picture and when my monitor fails I will search high and low
    for another 15" CRT . I believe they are still being made by some
    manufacturers.

    Mike.
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video (More info?)

    Moo wrote:

    >> You (anyone) deserves better than an old 15" CRT these days.
    >
    > This statement doesn't necessarily apply to everyone !
    > I have a 15" Compaq monitor on a machine running Windows 98
    > approx. 5 years old.
    >
    > I also own a laptop with a TFT screen ,approx. 2 years old. The
    > CRT gives a much clearer picture and when my monitor fails I
    > will search high and low for another 15" CRT . I believe they
    > are still being made by some manufacturers.

    Salvation Army. Goodwill. I can sell you one at a very reasonable
    price. I used to used an 8 inch b/w on the Kaypro, and the Osborne
    had something even smaller.

  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video (More info?)

    On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 21:33:14 +0100, "Moo"
    <fake_address@.com> wrote:

    >> You (anyone) deserves better than an old 15" CRT these days.
    >
    >This statement doesn't necessarily apply to everyone !
    >I have a 15" Compaq monitor on a machine running Windows 98 approx. 5 years
    >old.

    That's nice, and I still think you deserve a decent modern
    monitor. It is the primary user interface to the system.

    >I also own a laptop with a TFT screen ,approx. 2 years old. The CRT gives a
    >much clearer picture and when my monitor fails I will search high and low
    >for another 15" CRT . I believe they are still being made by some
    >manufacturers.

    That doesn't mean you need a _15"_ CRT though, they're
    mostly cheap junk these days. The small old tech is now
    mostly reserved for low-end products made in China et al.
    If you prefer a CRT so be it, but better to get a decent 17
    or 19" CRT if you really care about clearer pictures.

    There is no technical advantage to a 15" screen, unless you
    live in a small closet and anything bigger simply won't fit.
    They may not even be cheaper, I've bought 17" and 19"
    monitors for a bit under $70 in the past couple years. Not
    "good" monitors relatively speaking but you wouldn't get a
    good new 15" for that range either.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video (More info?)

    kony <spam@spam.com> wrote on Fri, 24 Jun 2005 00:10:00 GMT in
    alt.comp.hardware:

    > It may be a aged-onto-failure horizontal circuit capacitor.
    > While the part itself may not be expensive, the time and
    > expected (remaining) life of the monitor in combination with
    > it's current value may not make it worth repairing.

    Something weird happened. The problem hasn't presented itself again
    since I last posted here. I didn't change anything, except replacing
    my speakers. This had nothing to do with the monitor problem. It was
    because my old speakers weren't magnetically shielded and they would
    make annoying noises whenever my cellphone was being used.

    The problem was reproduced several times with the old speakers turned
    off though, and even away from them, with the monitor connected to
    another computer in another room.

    > You (anyone) deserves better than an old 15" CRT these days.

    I like my 15" CRT. I love it. It's not great for watching movies of
    course, but I don't like movies all that much.
  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video (More info?)

    The monitor is failing. Time to start shopping for a replacement.

    --
    DaveW

    "Pink_isn't_well" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > I'm using a Philips 105S monitor, a 15'' CRT. I've been using it
    > daily for about 4 years. Recently it gives me a problem. After it is
    > turned on and used for about 10-15 minutes, white lines (not perfect
    > lines, more like snow or something) appear on the upper part of the
    > screen, they resemble screen corruption although it is possible to
    > see through it and work on the computer. The width of the corrupted
    > area is about an inch or maybe a little more.
    >
    > They don't go away except if I turn the monitor off, let some time
    > (about 15 minutes) pass and turn it back on. I suspect it happens
    > when the monitors temperature reaches some point.
    >
    > I tried the monitor on another computer and the same story happens.
    >
    > What could it be? Has anyone seen this before?

Graphics Cards Hardware Monitors Graphics