Upgrade advice needed

Hello group. I need to upgrade a computer for maximum memory and also
to add a decent (though affordable) video card or cards to be able to
play Half-Life 2 as well as import video from a camcorder for editing.

How do I determine what kind of memory I have installed, so I don't buy
the wrong kind to add to it?

Is there one video card I can get that will allow me to play Half-Life
2 *and* import camcorder data to edit or do I need two different cards
for each? And how do I know I can fit two video cards into my
motherboard / case?

Yeah, I'm pretty clueless on hardware issues...that's why I'm asking
for help!

Thanks.
2 answers Last reply
More about upgrade advice needed

    Autechre wrote:

    " How do I determine what kind of memory I have installed, so I don't
    buy the wrong kind to add to it? "

    Everest Home Edition will tell you your system spec.
    http://www.lavalys.com/products/overview.php?pid=1&lang=en

    " Is there one video card I can get that will allow me to play
    Half-Life 2 *and* import camcorder data to edit or do I need two
    different cards for each? "

    With a reasonable system you can easily get by with a card that has VIVO
    (Video-In Video-Out).

    " And how do I know I can fit two video cards into my motherboard /
    case? "

    Everest Home Edition should tell you what your motherboard is.
    Hopefully you have an AGP slot for the video card, and, if you do need a
    second card, it should easily fit into a spare PCI slot.

    > Is there one video card I can get that will allow me to play Half-Life
    > 2 *and* import camcorder data to edit or do I need two different cards
    > for each? And how do I know I can fit two video cards into my
    > motherboard / case?

    ATI All-In-Wonder. Nvidia Personal Cinema.

    Should be some good leads,

    f_F

Graphics Cards Hardware Video Graphics