video card with 185 watt ps.

What graphics card can I get that will support Directx 8.0 and works on
a pc with a 185 watt power supply. All the ones I can find that
reference a power supply say 250 watt. The salesman at Best Buy said the
ATI 9250 will work with a 185 watt power supply? That box didn't
identify a power supply and I can't find any reference on line.

You are out of luck. Modern video cards' power needs start at 250 real
watts. Time to upgrade your power supply unit.

--
DaveW

"Karl P Anderson" <jkanderson2@chartermi.net> wrote in message
> What graphics card can I get that will support Directx 8.0 and works on a
> pc with a 185 watt power supply. All the ones I can find that reference a
> power supply say 250 watt. The salesman at Best Buy said the ATI 9250 will
> work with a 185 watt power supply? That box didn't identify a power supply
> and I can't find any reference on line.

The cards that consume a lot of power have auxiliary power connectors.

The Radeon 9250 does not; it gets all of its power through the AGP slot.

I believe that the best Radeon card with no auxiliary power connector is the
9600. (It's a DX9 card. Aside from that, its general performance is
significantly better than that of a 9250, if that matters to you.) If you
buy it from a good online vendor (www.newegg.com), it's not much more
expensive than the 9250, which I think is basically a relabeled Radeon 8XXX
series product.

On the nVidia side, the Geforce 6200 also gets its power through the AGP
slot. I expect that is the best available card at the moment that needs no
auxiliary power. I'd recommend against the TC (Turbo Cache) models, but I
believe that TC does not exist in AGP versions.

There are other considerations: does your mainboard have an AGP 3.0 slot?
(That would support AGP 4X/8X.) I don't recall the details, but there are
several types of AGP slot, and you want to make sure that whatever card you
get is physically compatible.

Just curious: what sort of PC is it?

Regards,

Bob Knowlden

"Only fools are positive." (Groucho Marx)

"Karl P Anderson" <jkanderson2@chartermi.net> wrote in message
> What graphics card can I get that will support Directx 8.0 and works on a
> pc with a 185 watt power supply. All the ones I can find that reference a
> power supply say 250 watt. The salesman at Best Buy said the ATI 9250 will
> work with a 185 watt power supply? That box didn't identify a power supply
> and I can't find any reference on line.

Andy

The graphics chip
<http://www.atitech.ca/designpartners/media/images/R9250_board_lg.jpg>
has a passive heat sink on it, so it can't consume too much power. As
long as you don't have a high power CPU and a lot of other components
in your PC, I'd say that the 185 watt power supply is sufficient.

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 17:12:31 -0500, Karl P Anderson
<jkanderson2@chartermi.net> wrote:

>What graphics card can I get that will support Directx 8.0 and works on
> a pc with a 185 watt power supply. All the ones I can find that
>reference a power supply say 250 watt. The salesman at Best Buy said the
>ATI 9250 will work with a 185 watt power supply? That box didn't
>identify a power supply and I can't find any reference on line.

Bob,
I have an IBM Netvista 2292-35U. Original description: Intel Pentium 4
1.8GHz (256KB), 128MB, 40GB 7200RPM IDE HDD, PCI Microtower (4x5),
nVidia Vanta 32MB 4X AGP, 16x10x40x CD-RW, 56K modem, Intel 10/100
Ethernet, Windows XP Home. I have added a 120GB HD and will replace the
CD-RW with a CD-RW/DVD. I also added 512MB. So it looks like it will
support an AGP 4x/8x. I have heard the AGP's run hotter than a PCI card.
I don't do a lot of gameing, but I would like the better 3D graphics. 8^)

In article <kXjwe.293$Si3.228@fe06.lga>,
Karl P Anderson <jkanderson2@chartermi.net> wrote:
>What graphics card can I get that will support Directx 8.0 and works on
> a pc with a 185 watt power supply. All the ones I can find that
>reference a power supply say 250 watt. The salesman at Best Buy said the
>ATI 9250 will work with a 185 watt power supply? That box didn't
>identify a power supply and I can't find any reference on line.

The power specifications for PCs tend to be rather inflated.
I've used both an ATI 9600 and a 9600SE in 165 watt Athlon systems
without a problem, so the 9250 would almost certainly work. There
would be an issue only if you're using a really power hungry processor.
Most of the other components in a system only use a few watts.

I think that your system has an Intel 845 chispet, and a 4X AGP slot. My
memory is a little hazy on the AGP standards, but this may not be an AGP 3.0
slot. However, I think that most AGP 3.0 cards would be backwards
compatible.

Flipping through the various Geforce 6200 cards at Newegg, I see power
requirement specs ranging from 200W to 350W. (The latter is probably bogus -
350W ought to be adequate for a 6600GT, which uses auxiliary power.)

Another suggestion for a card: a used nVidia Geforce 4 series card, like a
4200 (not a 440MX). That would be a major improvement over a 32 MB Vanta
(basically a TNT2 with a halved memory bandwidth, if memory serves). Those
were very nice cards; I liked my old 4200 quite a lot. The GF4 series were
basically 4X AGP cards (some of the latter models supported 8X AGP, but they
were back-compatible).

> Bob,
> I have an IBM Netvista 2292-35U. Original description: Intel Pentium 4
> 1.8GHz (256KB), 128MB, 40GB 7200RPM IDE HDD, PCI Microtower (4x5), nVidia
> Vanta 32MB 4X AGP, 16x10x40x CD-RW, 56K modem, Intel 10/100 Ethernet,
> Windows XP Home. I have added a 120GB HD and will replace the CD-RW with a
> CD-RW/DVD. I also added 512MB. So it looks like it will support an AGP
> 4x/8x. I have heard the AGP's run hotter than a PCI card. I don't do a lot
> of gameing, but I would like the better 3D graphics. 8^)
>
> Bob Knowlden wrote:
(snip)

"DaveW" <none@zero.org> wrote in message news:tI6dnSj2IcsORVzfRVn-pA@comcast.com...
> You are out of luck. Modern video cards' power needs start at 250 real
> watts. Time to upgrade your power supply unit.

Of course not. Modern video cards come nowhere near 250 watts. Most probably
*peak* at roughly the same area as microprocessors: ~75 watts.
On top of that, the power supply rating is the *sum* of all outputs: 3.3v, 5v,
12v, -12v,
etc. Typically the 3.3v and 5v outputs are the bulk of the power, roughly 1/2 each.
However, the actual details are entirely dependent of the particular power supply.
If you go to www.newegg.com and look at the pictures of the cases/power supplies,
they are pretty good at displaying the labels with the power specs. You'll see that
a "300watt" power supply can have quite a wide range of 3.3v and 5v capabilities.

The "power supply requirements" are only a reeeeealy crude attempt by the
board makers to ensure some minimum level of 3.3v or 5v (depending on the
AGP version).

--
Dan (Woj...) [dmaster](no space)[at](no space)[lucent](no space)[dot](no
space)[com]

"" wrote:
> What graphics card can I get that will support Directx 8.0 and
> works on
> a pc with a 185 watt power supply. All the ones I can find
> that
> reference a power supply say 250 watt. The salesman at Best
> Buy said the
> ATI 9250 will work with a 185 watt power supply? That box
> didn't
> identify a power supply and I can't find any reference on
> line.

a power supply is like 20$CND, if you tryed running that on low power
it would cause great stress on the motherboard and probably end up
crashing on you. it sounds like your pc could handle a geforce 5xxx
AGP id look into that there like 70$CND now and really good 128MB
cards espesally for there price

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/General-video-card-185-watt-ps-ftopict58153.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=296067