How do I get a DVI monitor/video-card connection to work?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
July 2, 2005 7:09:07 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video (More info?)

I have just built a new desktop machine with a Asus Extreme EN6600GT
video card that has both analog and digital outputs. My monitor (Eizo
L885) also accepts digital input so I wanted to connect the monitor to
the video card via the DVI connectors. I bought a cable at the store
marked "DVI-I dual link" but it doesn't seem to work. The video card
appears to be aware that there is a DVI monitor connection, but the
monitor says it's not receiving a signal.

Am I using the right cable? If so, what else might be wrong? Do I
have to tell the video card to switch to DVI output or something? The
analog connection works fine, but I'd like to try DVI since it is
supposedly even sharper than analog.
July 2, 2005 7:09:08 PM

"Mxsmanic" <mxsmanic@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I have just built a new desktop machine with a Asus Extreme EN6600GT
> video card that has both analog and digital outputs. My monitor (Eizo
> L885) also accepts digital input so I wanted to connect the monitor to
> the video card via the DVI connectors. I bought a cable at the store
> marked "DVI-I dual link" but it doesn't seem to work. The video card
> appears to be aware that there is a DVI monitor connection, but the
> monitor says it's not receiving a signal.
>
> Am I using the right cable? If so, what else might be wrong? Do I
> have to tell the video card to switch to DVI output or something? The
> analog connection works fine, but I'd like to try DVI since it is
> supposedly even sharper than analog.

go to graphics card settings and select the DVI out......
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
July 3, 2005 12:42:54 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video (More info?)

More to the point click on the drop down box & select the new monitor & then
tick the box "EXTEND WINDOWS ON TO ............... "

"Ted" <OnThe@Upbtinternet.com> wrote in message
news:D a65rk$pbe$1@nwrdmz02.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...

> "Mxsmanic" <mxsmanic@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>I have just built a new desktop machine with a Asus Extreme EN6600GT
>> video card that has both analog and digital outputs. My monitor (Eizo
>> L885) also accepts digital input so I wanted to connect the monitor to
>> the video card via the DVI connectors. I bought a cable at the store
>> marked "DVI-I dual link" but it doesn't seem to work. The video card
>> appears to be aware that there is a DVI monitor connection, but the
>> monitor says it's not receiving a signal.
>>
>> Am I using the right cable? If so, what else might be wrong? Do I
>> have to tell the video card to switch to DVI output or something? The
>> analog connection works fine, but I'd like to try DVI since it is
>> supposedly even sharper than analog.
>
> go to graphics card settings and select the DVI out......

a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
July 3, 2005 1:07:18 PM

Mxsmanic wrote:

> My monitor (Eizo L885) also accepts digital input ...

So it presumably has both DVI and HD15 connectors.
The DVI connector may be DVI-I, and thus contain
both digital and analog pins. So your monitor has
at least 2 analog inputs and one digital.

When it sees signals on multiple inputs at the same
time, it must have some strategy for selecting which
one to display. My LCD provides bezel buttons and
on-screen menus for doing so, including choices of
"DVI Digital" and "DVI Analog". What does RTFM of
the monitor manual tell you?

> ... so I wanted to connect the monitor to the
> video card via the DVI connectors.

And presumably use the digital connection, at the
LCD's native geometry.

> I bought a cable at the store marked
> "DVI-I dual link" but it doesn't seem to work.

If the monitor is using some automatic input selection
strategy, a DVI-I cable could confuse it, because it
contains both analog and digital signals, and your
card is likely emitting both signals.

The "dual link" was needless, as odds are 99.999312%
that both your card and monitor are single-link,
and unless you are running over 1920x1200, you're
running single-link regardless. No harm, however.

If there's anything odd about the missing factory
DVI cable, it might be that it was a DVI-D cable,
lacking analog pins. If the monitor doesn't provide
some user control over input selection, you may
be forced to use a DVI-D cable (or clip the analog
pins in the cable you bought).

a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
July 3, 2005 2:05:50 PM

"BruceM" <bruce@@hotmail.com> writes:

> More to the point click on the drop down box & select the new monitor & then
> tick the box "EXTEND WINDOWS ON TO ............... "

OK, I just tried it. Didn't seem to do anything. Maybe the cable is
wrong. The video card does notice the presence of the monitor on the
DVI cable, but the monitor displays nothing on the DVI input and
claims that the horizontal and vertical sync are zero. So maybe the
cable is wrong, or maybe there's something I have to configure, but I
think I've gone through a ton of menus by now.

I wish I could find the cable that came with the monitor. I'm not
sure where I put it, but obviously if I could find that I could
probably eliminate the possibility of a cable issue.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
July 3, 2005 7:11:07 PM

Fred is back writes:

> How do you know you should find the cable that came with the monitor?

Presumably the cable provided with the monitor is of the appropriate
type for carrying a digital signal from card to monitor. The more
generic cable I bought might be slightly different in some way.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
July 3, 2005 7:11:08 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video (More info?)

Mxsmanic <mxsmanic@gmail.com> wrote:

> Presumably the cable provided with the monitor is of the appropriate
> type for carrying a digital signal from card to monitor.

Try logging in as field, password support.

> The more generic cable I bought might be slightly different in some way.

You seem frustrated.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
July 3, 2005 7:58:18 PM

Fred is back writes:

> Try logging in as field, password support.

Logging into what?

> You seem frustrated.

Slightly. I'm mystified as to why I can't get the digital connection
to work. Since I have both a card and a monitor that support digital
video now, I'd like to try it.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
July 3, 2005 7:58:19 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video (More info?)

Mxsmanic <mxsmanic@gmail.com> wrote:

> Logging into what?

Why?

> Slightly.

Classic reading comprehension problem.

> I'm mystified as to why I can't get the digital connection to work.

You are not the only one who can't, you know.

> Since I have both a card and a monitor that support digital video now,
> I'd like to try it.

Really? You have both a card and a monitor that support digital video now?
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
July 3, 2005 9:38:05 PM

Fred is back writes:

> You are not the only one who can't, you know.

No doubt. An answer to my question would thus help many people, not
just me.

> You have both a card and a monitor that support digital video now?

Yes. Otherwise there wouldn't be any point in trying to get a digital
connection to work.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
July 4, 2005 1:41:08 AM

rjn writes:

> So it presumably has both DVI and HD15 connectors.
> The DVI connector may be DVI-I, and thus contain
> both digital and analog pins. So your monitor has
> at least 2 analog inputs and one digital.

Right, according to the manual.

> When it sees signals on multiple inputs at the same
> time, it must have some strategy for selecting which
> one to display. My LCD provides bezel buttons and
> on-screen menus for doing so, including choices of
> "DVI Digital" and "DVI Analog". What does RTFM of
> the monitor manual tell you?

That it normally gives priority to the DVI-I connection, and if there
is a signal present on that, it displays it. If no signal is present,
and there is a signal on the analog connection, it falls back to the
analog connection. Currently it displays the analog connection,
implying that it is receiving nothing over the DVI-I connection.

> And presumably use the digital connection, at the
> LCD's native geometry.

Right.

> If the monitor is using some automatic input selection
> strategy, a DVI-I cable could confuse it, because it
> contains both analog and digital signals, and your
> card is likely emitting both signals.

I can't find anything in the manual about a selection strategy if both
analog and digital signals are present on the _same_ DVI-I connector.
Additionally, if there were any signals, I should be able to manually
switch to that connector and see something, but when I do so, the
screen is blank. The monitor says it is receiving nothing over that
link.

> The "dual link" was needless, as odds are 99.999312%
> that both your card and monitor are single-link,
> and unless you are running over 1920x1200, you're
> running single-link regardless. No harm, however.

OK. That's just the kind of cable I was able to find at the store.

> If there's anything odd about the missing factory
> DVI cable, it might be that it was a DVI-D cable,
> lacking analog pins. If the monitor doesn't provide
> some user control over input selection, you may
> be forced to use a DVI-D cable (or clip the analog
> pins in the cable you bought).

But I don't seem to be getting _any_ signal over that connector.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
July 4, 2005 3:23:58 AM

> > If there's anything odd about the missing factory
> > DVI cable, it might be that it was a DVI-D cable,
> > lacking analog pins. If the monitor doesn't provide
> > some user control over input selection, you may
> > be forced to use a DVI-D cable (or clip the analog
> > pins in the cable you bought).
>
> But I don't seem to be getting _any_ signal over that connector.

Right, but the problem is that the card's DVI output may
have the digital output enabled, while the monitor is
looking for an analog input over its DVI-I input. Actually,
assuming your cable is DVI-I at both ends, then the
card must have a DVI-I output - because a DVI-I
plug won't mate with a DVI-D output (there's no place
for the analog pins). So it may be that enough is appearing
on the card's analog output (sync signals, say, but no valid
video, or vice-versa) to make the monitor "think" that it
should be using that connection, when in reality the
card is only providing a valid output via the digital side
of the connector. Hard to tell.

On the other hand, if you're happy with the results using
the analog interface, I wouldn't bother worrying about it
further.

Bob M.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
July 4, 2005 11:07:12 AM

Bob Myers writes:

> Right, but the problem is that the card's DVI output may
> have the digital output enabled, while the monitor is
> looking for an analog input over its DVI-I input.

I think the monitor looks for digital input over the DVI first, but
the manual doesn't clearly state either way.

> Actually,
> assuming your cable is DVI-I at both ends, then the
> card must have a DVI-I output - because a DVI-I
> plug won't mate with a DVI-D output (there's no place
> for the analog pins). So it may be that enough is appearing
> on the card's analog output (sync signals, say, but no valid
> video, or vice-versa) to make the monitor "think" that it
> should be using that connection, when in reality the
> card is only providing a valid output via the digital side
> of the connector. Hard to tell.

So how can I find out? Both card and monitor are rather poorly
documented.

> On the other hand, if you're happy with the results using
> the analog interface, I wouldn't bother worrying about it
> further.

Everyone one says DVI is vastly sharper, so I wanted to profit from it
if I can, since I supposedly have a card and monitor that both support
it now. When I look at the monitor under a magnifying glass, the
pixels seem to be very precisely aligned for the analog signal--it's
hard to imagine them being much better. But it would be nice to be
able to compare.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
July 5, 2005 5:48:34 AM

> Everyone one says DVI is vastly sharper, so I wanted to profit from it
> if I can, since I supposedly have a card and monitor that both support
> it now. When I look at the monitor under a magnifying glass, the
> pixels seem to be very precisely aligned for the analog signal--it's
> hard to imagine them being much better. But it would be nice to be
> able to compare.

LCDs are fixed-pixel devices; if the analog signal is correctly
sampled, and you don't see any blurring at the edges of
objects due to the sampling clock wandering around, the image
you see right now is as good as it will get.

Bob M.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
July 5, 2005 6:16:06 AM

Fred is back wrote:

> Mxsmanic <mxsmanic@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Logging into what?
>
> Why?
>
>> Slightly.
>
> Classic reading comprehension problem.
>
>> I'm mystified as to why I can't get the digital connection to work.
>
> You are not the only one who can't, you know.
>
>> Since I have both a card and a monitor that support digital video now,
>> I'd like to try it.
>
> Really? You have both a card and a monitor that support digital video now?

Uh, Eliza, <plonk>

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

Bob Myers writes:

> LCDs are fixed-pixel devices; if the analog signal is correctly
> sampled, and you don't see any blurring at the edges of
> objects due to the sampling clock wandering around, the image
> you see right now is as good as it will get.

Then why do so many people seem to rave about digital input? It does
seem to be very sharp as an analog image; the pixels all line up
perfectly, as far as I can tell.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
July 5, 2005 8:56:20 AM

Mxsmanic wrote:
> Bob Myers writes:
>

>>LCDs are fixed-pixel devices; if the analog signal is correctly
>>sampled, and you don't see any blurring at the edges of
>>objects due to the sampling clock wandering around, the image
>>you see right now is as good as it will get.
>

> Then why do so many people seem to rave about digital input? It does
> seem to be very sharp as an analog image; the pixels all line up
> perfectly, as far as I can tell.

Because there's never any question about alignment with digital nor can it
drift.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
July 5, 2005 8:56:21 AM

David Maynard wrote:

> Mxsmanic wrote:
>> Bob Myers writes:
>>

>>>LCDs are fixed-pixel devices; if the analog signal is correctly
>>>sampled, and you don't see any blurring at the edges of
>>>objects due to the sampling clock wandering around, the image
>>>you see right now is as good as it will get.
>>

>> Then why do so many people seem to rave about digital input? It does
>> seem to be very sharp as an analog image; the pixels all line up
>> perfectly, as far as I can tell.
>
> Because there's never any question about alignment with digital nor can it
> drift.

Oh? Play with Powerstrip and an LCD connected via DVI and you will find
that alignment is most assuredly at issue.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
July 5, 2005 9:32:18 PM

> Bob Myers writes:
>
> > LCDs are fixed-pixel devices; if the analog signal is correctly
> > sampled, and you don't see any blurring at the edges of
> > objects due to the sampling clock wandering around, the image
> > you see right now is as good as it will get.
>
> Then why do so many people seem to rave about digital input? It does
> seem to be very sharp as an analog image; the pixels all line up
> perfectly, as far as I can tell.

Part of it is simply that "digital" in general has been very successfully
marketed; there's a mindset of "if it's 'digital,' it must be better." And
in SOME cases, it is - if the analog "front end" of an LCD monitor
isn't doing a good job of generating a sampling clock for the timing
it sees, then the sampling of the video information can wander around
and lead to an unstable image (most often, you'll see little "flickers"
around the edges of objects or characters). But if the sampling of the
analog signal is done correctly, then the image produced will be
basically indistinguishable from that of the "digital" connection.

The real selling points of digital interfaces have little to do with image
quality (although in some cases there can be a difference - not always
in favor of the digital connection, but a difference), and much more
to do with the ability to more easily manipulate and protect the
information.

Bob M.
!