Computer Monitor Problem

Hello,

I'm having a problem with my monitor and its drivers (or lack thereof).
I just reinstalled Windows XP, then tried to install a driver for my
monitor. After the installation, the computer restarted, then showed
me the windows startup screen, but then just stays blank. It seems
like it has booted up, but I just can't see what's going on. Is there
some way to revert back to the previous driver without needing to look
at the monitor?

Thanks.

bwilde@gmail.com writes:

> Hello,
>
> I'm having a problem with my monitor and its drivers (or lack thereof).
> I just reinstalled Windows XP, then tried to install a driver for my
> monitor. After the installation, the computer restarted, then showed
> me the windows startup screen, but then just stays blank. It seems
> like it has booted up, but I just can't see what's going on. Is there
> some way to revert back to the previous driver without needing to look
> at the monitor?

Boot the system and press F8 while it is booting. This will bring up
XP in safe mode, with only a very basic VGA video driver that will
work on any video card and any monitor. You can then try to figure
out what is wrong when you come up.

Normally, if the driver matches the card, any resolution you select
will be supported by the card. If you selected a high resolution and
the monitor won't handle it, though, the screen might come up blank.
Normally Windows asks you to confirm this within 15 seconds and
reverts to the previous setting if you don't, so it's hard to get into
this situation.

Do you get as far as the Windows logon screen or desktop before it
goes blank? What's the last thing you see on the screen before it
blanks out?

TRENDING THREADS