Chunky lump on monitor cable

What is that chunky lump thing on a monitor cable?

For monitor extension cables, does it matter which end the lump goes -
either at the PC connection end, or at the connection point where it
links up with the main monitor cable?

Thanks, regards, dnw.
7 answers Last reply
More about chunky lump monitor cable

    > What is that chunky lump thing on a monitor cable?
    >
    > For monitor extension cables, does it matter which end the lump goes -
    > either at the PC connection end, or at the connection point where it
    > links up with the main monitor cable?

    My educated guess would be that it's some sort of protected splice where the
    connector is added to the cable.

    If it's an extension cable, it will have one male connector at one end and
    one female connector at the other end. Generally, the male connector from
    the monitor cable (or extension cable) fits in the female connector on the
    VGA. If it's a male-male DVI connection, the position of the lump/splice
    doesn't matter.

    - f_f

    It goes at the monitor end of the cable.

    --
    DaveW

    <dotnw@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > What is that chunky lump thing on a monitor cable?
    >
    > For monitor extension cables, does it matter which end the lump goes -
    > either at the PC connection end, or at the connection point where it
    > links up with the main monitor cable?
    >
    > Thanks, regards, dnw.

  3. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video (More info?)

    <dotnw@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > What is that chunky lump thing on a monitor cable?
    >
    > For monitor extension cables, does it matter which end the lump goes -
    > either at the PC connection end, or at the connection point where it
    > links up with the main monitor cable?
    >
    > Thanks, regards, dnw.

    Actually this was covered here a short while ago. The "lump" is a ferrite
    core
    intended to act as a low pass filter for common mode currents that might
    cause the system to not meet various agency limits for radiated and
    conducted
    high frequency (radio) emissions. You may find similar "lumps" on various
    other
    PC system interconnections, most likely on USB cables, for example.
    When you add an extension cable you are doing two things that are
    generally
    recommended against:
    1. Compromising the EMI design of the system, which may cause
    interference
    with radio types of receivers, and could end up causing you to have
    to disable
    the offending system. In the worse case an enforcement agency may
    actually
    seize the equipment, but I do not know of any specific cases where
    that has
    ever happened.
    2. Compromising the integrity of the signal path, which is quite likely
    to result
    in ghosting or other artifacts related to impedance discontinuities
    and
    signal path length. This does depend a lot on the original integrity
    and on
    how well the impedance of the extension cable matches the impedance
    of
    the original system transmission line.

    As to which end it should go, typically there is no choice when it comes
    extension cables. If your original configuration has the core at the display
    end,
    it is recommended to leave it at that end, and vice-versa. But in most cases
    any
    alteration of the designed configuration will exacerbate the first risk
    mentioned
    above, so the core location is pretty much moot in that instance.

    Regards,
    NGA
  4. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video (More info?)

    By using a monitor extension cable, I now have 2 lumps between my
    monitor and PC. Would it be better if I got rid of the extension cable
    and bought a longer monitor replacement cable, thus reducing the number
    of lumps in my cable back down to 1?

    (I can't see any problems with my current set-up - image quality wise.)

    Thanks, regards, dnw.
  5. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video (More info?)

    These devices are useful for trouble shooting, they protect PC equipment
    from monitor RF and you can get these filters that clamp on to cables (old
    trackpoint keyboards sometimes need these)
    > It goes at the monitor end of the cable.
    >
    > --
    > DaveW
    >

    > <dotnw@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > What is that chunky lump thing on a monitor cable?
    > >
    > > For monitor extension cables, does it matter which end the lump goes -
    > > either at the PC connection end, or at the connection point where it
    > > links up with the main monitor cable?
    > >
    > > Thanks, regards, dnw.

  6. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video (More info?)

    dotnw@hotmail.com wrote:
    > What is that chunky lump thing on a monitor cable?

    You've overdone it with the steroids, or your cable is suffering from a
    malignant tumour. Sorry.
  7. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video (More info?)

    > By using a monitor extension cable, I now have 2 lumps between my
    > monitor and PC. Would it be better if I got rid of the extension cable
    > and bought a longer monitor replacement cable, thus reducing the number
    > of lumps in my cable back down to 1?
    >
    > (I can't see any problems with my current set-up - image quality wise.)
    >
    > Thanks, regards, dnw.

    Definitely better from the standpoint of reducing the number of
    possible impedance discontinuities along the line (where the connectors
    are) - not important at all from the standpoint of reducing the lump factor,
    as they tend to operate at frequencies much higher than the pixel rates.
    The lumps (cores) should not be contributing any negative aspects to image
    quality.
    This *does* assume that what you can get in a longer cable will have
    good enough impedance characteristics to avoid or at least minimalize
    possible image degradation. Try to look for one that has a low a
    resistance value as possible for the "co-ax conductor" between the two
    ends, as that factor will tend to decrease the signal amplitude at your
    monitor end, likely resulting in lower luiminance output (assuming you
    are using analog "VGA", not DVI). If you can find an "active" type of
    extension (AKA KVM) you may be happier with the performance, but
    the cost will be higher, typically. But that way you can have the imput
    devices Kbd & Mouse) nearer the display (V).
    It still does not necessarily mitigate the other factors I mentioned to
    use a single long cable, compared to two (joined) shorter ones. As far
    as KVM operation, I have no personal experience, but at least some of
    them are active types, and user satisfaction reports are generally
    favorable.

    Regards,
    NGA

Graphics Cards Connection Monitors Cable Graphics