Who remembers ViRGE? :)

Hi all

This is my first visit in here so please be gentle with me. :)

I have an old laptop that I am re-installing W98 on. Sometime in the
last five or six years I've managed to lose the set-up disk for the
display adaptor. Personally, I have no idea what is inside the thing as
it's only a vanilla-flavour laptop from a box-shifter. Currently, the
only thing I can get to work is the default VGA setting.

According to WinS3ID:

Chip ID: 8C03
SSven: 5333
SSdev: 8C03
HW loc: PCI 00/02/00
Chip name: ViRGE/M5+ w/ MV (280)
Instance: HKLM\Enum\PCI\VEN_5333&DEV_8C03&SUBSYS_8C035333&REV_03\BUS_0
Reg key: HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Class\Display\0000
Supported: PCI
Enabled:

and APCInfo gives me:

5333 S3 Inc *c03 ViRGE/MX+MV Dev = 2

I downloaded the drvgdx9x.exe from driverguide.com which they describe
as:

S3 Inc. ViRGE PCI
S3 Inc. ViRGE/DX/GX PCI
S3 Inc. ViRGE/VX PCI
S3 Inc. ViRGE M3/M5 PCI
S3 Inc. ViRGE GX2 PCI

and installed it but it made no difference. The .inf file is
S3virge.inf. There are five options listed:

ViRGE GX2 PCI
ViRGE M3/M5 PCI
ViRGE PCI
ViRGE/DX/GX PCI
ViRGE/VX PCI

and each one gives the same Update Driver Warning telling me that it is
not recommended to install the driver as it was not specifically written
for the selected hardware. I've also tried to install each one anyway
but 98 comes back and tells me that the machine is going to stay in VGA.

Could some kind guru advise.

TIA

Regards

Ian Jennings <spam@microwaredata.co.uk> wrote in

> Hi all
>
> This is my first visit in here so please be gentle with me. :)

I didn't need my asbestos underwear after all. :)

Found it. For archive purposes (the next time I screw up) the file name is
50311w9x.zip and it's on driverguide.com

HTH

I reccomend keeping this driver in a safe place ;)