Refurbished IBM c220p or Viewsonic P225FB-6

mark

Hello,
Any suggestions as to which of the two monitors I should buy:
A refurbished IBM c220p -- direct from an authorized IBM dealer - and
said to be in new condition with a one year warranty. Or a new
Viewsonic P225FB-6.

Basically, I want an Aperture Grill (for proper colors & contrast) for
Photoshop work, and I'll be color calibrating the monitor.

The only fear I have with the Viewsonic is that I've read that the
newer Viewsonics (the -5 and now the -6's) are made in China and are
not made as well as when they were made in Taiwan. And as such - may
not last either.

I wish I could buy a new IBM c220p - but I missed the boat now that
they are no longer made. However, refurbished units can be purchased
from authorized IBM representatives.

Thanks!
Mark
Orlando, FL

"" wrote:
> Hello,
> Any suggestions as to which of the two monitors I should buy:
> A refurbished IBM c220p -- direct from an authorized IBM
> dealer - and
> said to be in new condition with a one year warranty. Or a new
> Viewsonic P225FB-6.
>
> Basically, I want an Aperture Grill (for proper colors &
> contrast) for
> Photoshop work, and I'll be color calibrating the monitor.
>
> The only fear I have with the Viewsonic is that I've read that
> the
> newer Viewsonics (the -5 and now the -6's) are made in China
> and are
> not made as well as when they were made in Taiwan. And as such
> - may
> not last either.
>
> I wish I could buy a new IBM c220p - but I missed the boat now
> that
> they are no longer made. However, refurbished units can be
> purchased
> from authorized IBM representatives.
>
> Thanks!
> Mark
> Orlando, FL

I’m in the same boat as you--lookling for a new CRT to replace my
LaCie 19" (Diamondtron aperture grille tube). I’ve read from a couple
of sources that the new LaCies are not all that good (all they make
now are the 22"), and with few aperture grille CRTs left in the
marketplace (and seemingly only 22" at that), I was trying to find
some info on the P225FB ViewSonic when I ran across your post.

My primary concern with the refurbished IBM would be the tube. When
they tell you it’s "like new", does that mean they’ve replaced the
tube? The tube of course has the shortest life and begins going
downhill within a year or so. Because of this, I’d probably opt for
the new ViewSonic unless they can assure you the refurb has a new CRT.
Also be aware that many CRTs arrive defective. My LaCie took three
models to get an acceptable one, and the 17" ViewSonic I just bought
locally to use as a temp until I can get another aperture grille in
here took two units to get a good one. So, make sure where ever you
buy will keep trading units if necessary, or allow you to hook your
purchase up in-store for an on-the-spot evaluation--and even then some
problems may take a week or so to manifest, as happened with my second
LaCie replacement.

Ron Hildebrand

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/General-Refurbished-IBM-c220p-Viewsonic-P225FB-ftopict59661.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=303479