Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

how do i enable direct3d acceleration?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
August 10, 2005 7:38:44 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video (More info?)

i already tried running the "directXdiagnostic tool," but the diplay
tab doesn’t let me "Test" direct3d acceleeration, it only lets me
"Test directdrax accelerartion"......

also, this message is shown on the bottom of the display tab.

-The system is using the generic video driver. Please install video
driver provided by the hardware manufacturer.-To test DirectDraw
functionality, click the "Test DirectDraw" button above.
-Direct3D functionality not available. You should verify that the
driver is a final version from the hardware manufacturer. (HOW?)

i needed to enable direct3d acceleration because the game Empire Earth
won’t start, and according to the error report thing that pops up,
(which sends me the microsoft crash analysis site)

this is the resolution that they had...

RESOLUTION
To resolve this issue:
1. Verify that your video adapter supports Direct 3D, and then verify
that you are using the most current drivers for your video adapter.
(ONCE AGAIN THE SAME MESSAGE, BUT HOW DO I DO IT?) For information
about how complete both of these tasks, view the documentation that is
included with your video adapter. If you are not using the most
current drivers for your video adapter, obtain and install newer
drivers from your video adapter manufacturer. After you do so, test to
determine if the issue is resolved. If the issue is resolved, skip the
remaining steps. If the issue is not resolved, continue to the next
step....



anyways, so i know i have to check something with direct3d, since i
did steps 2-5, and i know that direct3d isn’t supported by my
computer, but i still dont know how to "GET" direct3d
compatibility.....any help would be great!!!

thanks, Marco
[/b]

--
Posted using the http://www.hardwareforumz.com interface, at author's request
Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet standards
Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/General-enable-direct3d-a...
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=304327
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
August 10, 2005 7:38:47 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video (More info?)

"selarom88" wrote:
> i already tried running the "directXdiagnostic tool," but the
> diplay tab doesn't let me "Test" direct3d acceleeration, it
> only lets me "Test directdrax accelerartion"......
>
> also, this message is shown on the bottom of the display tab.
>
> -The system is using the generic video driver.
> Please install video driver provided by the hardware
> manufacturer.
-To test DirectDraw functionality,
> click the "Test DirectDraw" button above.
> -Direct3D functionality not available. You
> should verify that the driver is a final version from the
> hardware manufacturer.
(HOW?)
>
> i needed to enable direct3d acceleration because
> the game Empire Earth won't start, and according to the error
> report thing that pops up, (which sends me the microsoft crash
> analysis site)

>
> this is the resolution that they had...
>
> RESOLUTION
> To resolve this issue:
> 1. Verify that your video adapter supports Direct 3D,
> and then verify that you are using the most
> current drivers for your video adapter.
(ONCE
> AGAIN THE SAME MESSAGE, BUT HOW DO I DO IT?) For information
> about how complete both of these tasks, view the documentation
> that is included with your video adapter. If you are not using
> the most current drivers for your video adapter, obtain and
> install newer drivers from your video adapter manufacturer.
> After you do so, test to determine if the issue is resolved.
> If the issue is resolved, skip the remaining steps. If the
> issue is not resolved, continue to the next step....
>
>
>
> anyways, so i know i have to check something with direct3d,
> since i did steps 2-5, and i know that direct3d isn't
> supported by my computer, but i still dont know how to "GET"
> direct3d compatibility.....any help would be great!!!
>
> thanks, Marco
> [/b]

---also, my system information is as follows:

System:Microsoft Windows XP Home VErsion 2002

Computer: Intel(R) Penium(R) 4 CPU 1.50 GHz, 256 MB of RAM
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
August 14, 2005 1:21:57 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video (More info?)

selarom88:
> [...]
>i already tried running the "directXdiagnostic tool," but the
> diplay tab doesn’t let me "Test" direct3d acceleeration, it only
> lets me "Test directdrax accelerartion"......
> [...] but i still dont know how to "GET" direct3d
> compatibility.....any help would be great!!!

Without knowing what graphics card is in your PC, no one will know what's
wrong.

I guess that either you didn't install "real" drivers for it (the default
drivers Windows installs don't always support D3D), or you didn't install
DirectX. Or you graphics card doesn't support 3D at all (it might be one of
those old 2D-only cards, or it's an old 3D that doesn't work with modern
games).
Related resources
February 1, 2009 7:28:39 PM

If you run "dxdiag" from the start menu and go to the "display" tab,
you can see, that Direct3D Acceleration is disabled, but you are not given the
possibility to switch it back on ( as in Windows XP), this must be an error in Vista??

You have to switch the setting "under the hood".

From the start menu run "regedit" and open this key (click on the + signs):

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Direct3D\Drivers

Double click (on the right hand side) the text "SoftwareOnly" and change the value from "1" to "0"

Thats it! Close the regedit program again.

Be warned: Don't touch anything else in regedit, unless you know, what you are doing.

As a matter of fact, you will get a lot of warnings from Vista, NOT to do this,
but then again - Vista could have offered a better way to do it.
Vista DID allow some old game you wanted to run, to switch the setting off.

For Google:
Direct3D acceleration vista registry
February 1, 2009 7:45:40 PM

I'm sure they'd love this answer, but the topic is from 2005.
February 1, 2009 11:22:48 PM

danskeren's only post, so he signed up just to post that.

Fishy goings on in Tom's
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
June 16, 2010 2:38:03 PM

i did what you said
but the number i get is zero
what should i do
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
June 16, 2010 2:43:54 PM

what should i do danskeren?
a c 271 U Graphics card
June 16, 2010 2:47:35 PM

Quote:
what should i do danskeren?

His one and only post was over a year ago, suffice to say I don't think you are going to get an answer.
!