New monitor cable, problem with picture

Hello group,

I'm having a problem and I don't really know how to describe it but
I'll give it a shot:

My monitor cable was bad (some of the pins broke out) so I bought a new
one. I plugged it in and the picture is worse than it was with the
broken cable. The picture looks like there is a "drop shadow" behind
everything. It's as if everything has a copy of itself about 5 pixels
down and 5 pixles to the right. I'm not sure what that's called and I
hope I explained it correctly.

Do I need to just go buy another monitor and have a trial and error
session? I downloaded the newest video card drivers, messed with the
resolution and refresh rates but nothing fixed it.

What am I missing?

<soxtrot@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello group,
>
> I'm having a problem and I don't really know how to describe it but
> I'll give it a shot:
>
> My monitor cable was bad (some of the pins broke out) so I bought a new
> one. I plugged it in and the picture is worse than it was with the
> broken cable. The picture looks like there is a "drop shadow" behind
> everything. It's as if everything has a copy of itself about 5 pixels
> down and 5 pixles to the right. I'm not sure what that's called and I
> hope I explained it correctly.
>
> Do I need to just go buy another monitor and have a trial and error
> session? I downloaded the newest video card drivers, messed with the
> resolution and refresh rates but nothing fixed it.
>
> What am I missing?

You appear to be seeing the classic symptoms of a cheap monitor
cable. The impedance isn't well controlled, so you are getting
reflections. I'd suggest buying a better cable. Make sure the
new one is a nice thick cable (no guarantee, but a good indicator)
with a ferrite bead (the black lump around the cable).

Good luck

--
Dan (Woj...) [dmaster](no space)[at](no space)[lucent](no space)[dot](no
space)[com]

"Dan Wojciechowski" <too.much@spam.com> wrote in message

> > Do I need to just go buy another monitor and have a trial and error
> > session? I downloaded the newest video card drivers, messed with the
> > resolution and refresh rates but nothing fixed it.
> >
> > What am I missing?
>
> You appear to be seeing the classic symptoms of a cheap monitor
> cable. The impedance isn't well controlled, so you are getting
> reflections. I'd suggest buying a better cable. Make sure the
> new one is a nice thick cable (no guarantee, but a good indicator)
> with a ferrite bead (the black lump around the cable).

"Nice thick cable" may be a good indicator; the presence
or absence of a ferrite on the cable has absolutely nothing to
do with this problem, except to whatever extent it may (or
may not) indicate a "better cable." You can certainly make
a very good cable assembly with no ferrite at all.

Bob M.