What is best cell phone for VERY weak fringe area?

Last response: in Network Providers
August 13, 2005 6:29:34 PM

I am moving to a neighborhood that is very weak. All the neighbors
say they have the same problem: mostly no coverage at all.
I tried walking and driving around and there are a few areas where I
can get 1 or at best 2 bars. In my new home my Kyocera 2325 will not
work at all.

A mechanic came to my house and he could dial out using his
Audiovox 8900. Even it was spotty.

My question is: What is the absolute best cell phone that would
work in this weak area?

I plan to buy one on E Bay so I don't have the option to try
before I buy.

Thank you for your advice.
George C
Anonymous
August 13, 2005 6:29:35 PM

bad guy wrote:

> I am moving to a neighborhood that is very weak. All the neighbors
> say they have the same problem: mostly no coverage at all.
> I tried walking and driving around and there are a few areas where I
> can get 1 or at best 2 bars. In my new home my Kyocera 2325 will not
> work at all.
>
> A mechanic came to my house and he could dial out using his
> Audiovox 8900. Even it was spotty.
>
> My question is: What is the absolute best cell phone that would
> work in this weak area?
>
> I plan to buy one on E Bay so I don't have the option to try
> before I buy.

If you think about it, "the best cell phone" probably isn't going
to be available on eBay... Why would someone sell it?

Notan
August 13, 2005 6:29:35 PM

You probably are going to need an external antenna to get the boost you need
from occasional 1/2 bars to more consistent signal strength. I use one and
it is not that bad, other than you are tethered to the antenna wire.
Considering your circumstances, I doubt it will make much difference which
phone you get. All will probably disappoint you for unaided reliability in
your area.

-Frank

"bad guy" <guy@gov.net> wrote in message
>I am moving to a neighborhood that is very weak. All the neighbors
> say they have the same problem: mostly no coverage at all.
> I tried walking and driving around and there are a few areas where I
> can get 1 or at best 2 bars. In my new home my Kyocera 2325 will not
> work at all.
>
> A mechanic came to my house and he could dial out using his
> Audiovox 8900. Even it was spotty.
>
> My question is: What is the absolute best cell phone that would
> work in this weak area?
>
> I plan to buy one on E Bay so I don't have the option to try
> before I buy.
>
> Thank you for your advice.
> George C

Related resources
August 13, 2005 6:29:35 PM

bad guy wrote:

> I am moving to a neighborhood that is very weak. All the neighbors
> say they have the same problem: mostly no coverage at all.
> I tried walking and driving around and there are a few areas where I
> can get 1 or at best 2 bars. In my new home my Kyocera 2325 will not
> work at all.
>
> A mechanic came to my house and he could dial out using his
> Audiovox 8900. Even it was spotty.
>
> My question is: What is the absolute best cell phone that would
> work in this weak area?
>
> I plan to buy one on E Bay so I don't have the option to try
> before I buy.
>
> Thank you for your advice.
> George C

Our local verizon store has a 15 day trial. Ask and then try.
In our case a Nokeia 6015 was good as was a Moto V265 (6015 was a little
better).

August 13, 2005 6:29:36 PM

On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 09:00:03 -0600, "Frankster" <Frank@SPAM2TRASH.com>
wrote:

>You probably are going to need an external antenna to get the boost you need
>from occasional 1/2 bars to more consistent signal strength. I use one and
>it is not that bad, other than you are tethered to the antenna wire.

>>I am moving to a neighborhood that is very weak. All the neighbors
>> say they have the same problem: mostly no coverage at all.
>> I tried walking and driving around and there are a few areas where I
>> can get 1 or at best 2 bars. In my new home my Kyocera 2325 will not
>> work at all.

>> My question is: What is the absolute best cell phone that would
>> work in this weak area?

The external antenna route is one that is good; another is to look at
one of the "low" priced repeaters intended for home and small office
use. While I have no personal experience, one company that is
frequently mentioned is http://www.cellantenna.com/

(these are in the $500 range; it may not fit your need)
August 13, 2005 6:29:37 PM

> The external antenna route is one that is good; another is to look at
> one of the "low" priced repeaters intended for home and small office
> use. While I have no personal experience, one company that is
> frequently mentioned is http://www.cellantenna.com/
>
> (these are in the $500 range; it may not fit your need)

This will probably be my next step. I'm just waiting for the right moment
when I feel like putting $500 into it. But I know myself. I probably will,
one day. :)  Right now I'm making do with a $36 antenna.

-Frank
August 13, 2005 10:05:48 PM

On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 14:29:34 GMT, bad guy <guy@gov.net> wrote:

> My question is: What is the absolute best cell phone that would
>work in this weak area?

Late model Nokia phones.

- -
August 13, 2005 10:07:22 PM

On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 08:34:05 -0600, Notan <notan@ddress.com> wrote:

>If you think about it, "the best cell phone" probably isn't going
>to be available on eBay... Why would someone sell it?

They wanted a new phone or they switched carriers and could not use
the old phone on the new carrier among other reasons. Verizon people
may not realize this but some people change phones like they change
their underwear (which is hopefully frequently.)

- -
Anonymous
August 14, 2005 1:52:12 AM

Joseph wrote:

> On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 08:34:05 -0600, Notan <notan@ddress.com> wrote:
>
> >If you think about it, "the best cell phone" probably isn't going
> >to be available on eBay... Why would someone sell it?
>
> They wanted a new phone or they switched carriers and could not use
> the old phone on the new carrier among other reasons. Verizon people
> may not realize this but some people change phones like they change
> their underwear (which is hopefully frequently.)

I didn't even consider the "for shits and giggles" reason.

Notan
Anonymous
August 14, 2005 9:16:05 AM

>You probably are going to need an external antenna to get the boost you need
>from occasional 1/2 bars to more consistent signal strength. I use one and
>it is not that bad, other than you are tethered to the antenna wire.

What external antenna do you use? Are you satisfied with it?

George C
August 14, 2005 12:13:16 PM

I use the Wilson Trucker Antenna. It can be mounted anywhere since it does
not require a ground plan. I have it stuck in a bush (hidden inside) outside
of my garden level bedroom. Without it I get 0/1 bars in my garden level
room and all calls are dropped if I talk long enough. I can only get a call
out about 1/3rd of the time and 2/3rds of the incoming calls go direct to
voicemail. With the antenna I get 3 solid bars (4 is max on this phone) and
virtually 100 percent success on outgoing and incoming calls.

> >You probably are going to need an external antenna to get the boost you
> >need
>>from occasional 1/2 bars to more consistent signal strength. I use one and
>>it is not that bad, other than you are tethered to the antenna wire.
>
> What external antenna do you use? Are you satisfied with it?
>
> George C

Anonymous
August 14, 2005 1:33:54 PM

If you just want a really good phone and are not worried about internet
access then the best phone ever made was the Motorola Startac 7668. Its
receiver is super sensitive. You can purchase one off EBay for a very low
price.

-mij

"Joseph" <JoeOfSeattle@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 14:29:34 GMT, bad guy <guy@gov.net> wrote:
>
>> My question is: What is the absolute best cell phone that would
>>work in this weak area?
>
> Late model Nokia phones.
>
> - -

Anonymous
August 14, 2005 5:21:52 PM

Don't get me wrong, I love verizon, but be realistic. George's best bet
is to switch to a different carrier. Even the best phone will have
spotty service where he gets no service now. If you talk to any
representative with a brain cell and tell them you get no service at
your address they will cancel your line(s) without an early termination
fee.

On the other hand, I have owned several lg phones, two samsungs, a
kyocera, and a moto, and find my samsung a670 to get the best
reception with the antenna up, but the worst with the antenna down.

You could also trying going analog forced. If your phone doesnt do
analog now.
August 14, 2005 10:28:13 PM

He said...

> All the neighbors say they have the same problem:
> mostly no coverage at all.

There is no reason to believe that any other carrier is any better.

-Frank

<KyleDP123@lycos.com> wrote in message
> Don't get me wrong, I love verizon, but be realistic. George's best bet
> is to switch to a different carrier. Even the best phone will have
> spotty service where he gets no service now. If you talk to any
> representative with a brain cell and tell them you get no service at
> your address they will cancel your line(s) without an early termination
> fee.
>
> On the other hand, I have owned several lg phones, two samsungs, a
> kyocera, and a moto, and find my samsung a670 to get the best
> reception with the antenna up, but the worst with the antenna down.
>
> You could also trying going analog forced. If your phone doesnt do
> analog now.

Anonymous
August 15, 2005 2:55:40 AM

Excellent advise....except the 7868 is a non aGPS phone and will no longer
be allowed to be "esn changed" to any accounts. I do agree with the quality
of the phone and the reception. I used the 7868 and a 8767 (Silver
version/semi-color Screen) and loved the reception of both models.

ShackAttack

"Mij Adyaw" <mijadyaw@nospam.net> wrote in message
> If you just want a really good phone and are not worried about internet
> access then the best phone ever made was the Motorola Startac 7668. Its
> receiver is super sensitive. You can purchase one off EBay for a very low
> price.
>
> -mij
>
> "Joseph" <JoeOfSeattle@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 14:29:34 GMT, bad guy <guy@gov.net> wrote:
>>
>>> My question is: What is the absolute best cell phone that would
>>>work in this weak area?
>>
>> Late model Nokia phones.
>>
>> - -

Anonymous
August 15, 2005 3:49:47 PM

George's best bet
>is to switch to a different carrier. Even the best phone will have
>spotty service where he gets no service now.

When the house was being built I checked with the workmen who had
cellphones. The only company that got any reception was Verizon.
That's why I picked Verizon.

George
Anonymous
August 15, 2005 5:26:56 PM

>> If you just want a really good phone and are not worried about internet
>> access then the best phone ever made was the Motorola Startac 7668. Its
>> receiver is super sensitive. You can purchase one off EBay for a very low
>> price.

Problem on EBay: There are no 7668 listed. However, there are about
(70) 7868 listed.

Typing error? Perhaps you were referring to 7868 ?

Thanks for the help.
George
Anonymous
August 16, 2005 12:06:40 AM

On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 21:52:12 -0600, Notan <notan@ddress.com> chose to add
this to the great equation of life, the universe, and everything:

>Joseph wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 08:34:05 -0600, Notan <notan@ddress.com> wrote:
>>
>> >If you think about it, "the best cell phone" probably isn't going
>> >to be available on eBay... Why would someone sell it?
>>
>> They wanted a new phone or they switched carriers and could not use
>> the old phone on the new carrier among other reasons. Verizon people
>> may not realize this but some people change phones like they change
>> their underwear (which is hopefully frequently.)
>
>I didn't even consider the "for shits and giggles" reason.

Is that the result of tickling someone with diarrhea?

http://home.att.net/~dwstreeter
"Step one in preparing the turkey is to let it thaw (allow six to eight
years)." - Dave Barry
Anonymous
August 16, 2005 5:45:38 AM

You can still activate as a replacement phone on an existing account.

"ShackAttack" <shackattack6089@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Excellent advise....except the 7868 is a non aGPS phone and will no longer
> be allowed to be "esn changed" to any accounts. I do agree with the
> quality of the phone and the reception. I used the 7868 and a 8767
> (Silver version/semi-color Screen) and loved the reception of both
> models.
>
> ShackAttack
>
> "Mij Adyaw" <mijadyaw@nospam.net> wrote in message
>> If you just want a really good phone and are not worried about internet
>> access then the best phone ever made was the Motorola Startac 7668. Its
>> receiver is super sensitive. You can purchase one off EBay for a very low
>> price.
>>
>> -mij
>>
>> "Joseph" <JoeOfSeattle@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>>> Late model Nokia phones.
>>>
>>> - -

Anonymous
August 16, 2005 5:47:30 AM

My daughter has the same problem, and we tried everything. Finally the
Motorola E815 got a good digital signal.

"bad guy" <guy@gov.net> wrote in message
>I am moving to a neighborhood that is very weak. All the neighbors
> say they have the same problem: mostly no coverage at all.
> I tried walking and driving around and there are a few areas where I
> can get 1 or at best 2 bars. In my new home my Kyocera 2325 will not
> work at all.
>
> A mechanic came to my house and he could dial out using his
> Audiovox 8900. Even it was spotty.
>
> My question is: What is the absolute best cell phone that would
> work in this weak area?
>
> I plan to buy one on E Bay so I don't have the option to try
> before I buy.
>
> Thank you for your advice.
> George C

Anonymous
August 17, 2005 6:08:11 PM

>> I am moving to a neighborhood that is very weak. All the neighbors
>> say they have the same problem: mostly no coverage at all.

I bought a new Motorola V710 camera phone and it works pretty well.

I could dial out to my sons phone and leave messages on his answering
machine. He told me the messages were pretty bad and had a lot of
static. We're going to try again using phone to phone and see if it
is any better.

I'm going to buy a Wilson Trucker antenna and see if tha improves
it.

On another note:

I phoned Verizon to see what kind of deal I could get on a V710.
They quoted me $200 with a $50 rebate for an end price of $150.

I walked into a Verizon company store and asked what kind of price
I could get. The salesman showed me a wireless earset that used
Bluetooth technology and said the best price he could give me was
$250. I asked him if he could match the $150 price quoted by
Verizon and he said No.

I walked out of the store and phoned verizon and started to buy
the phone and asked if I could buy the phone from them and pick it up
at the Verizon store since I knew they had one in stock. The Verizon
buy told me to hand MY phone to the store salesman.

After some conversation over my phone the store buy said he could
get me the phone for $150.

Turns out he was bundling the $100 wireless earphone to try and
squeeze me for $250.

I ended up buying the phone and some accessories for $170.

I'm a senior citizen so maybe he thought he could pull a fast scam
on me. Prick.
August 19, 2005 1:10:36 PM

DonR. wrote:
> You can still activate as a replacement phone on an existing account.

Not since August 6th. I made the mistake of "upgrading" my StarTAC to
an LG vx6100. When I wanted to send the LG back they would let me put
the StarTAC back on
August 19, 2005 11:24:08 PM

"jt" <jeeptop2000@yahoo.com> wrote in

> Not since August 6th. I made the mistake of "upgrading" my StarTAC to
> an LG vx6100. When I wanted to send the LG back they would let me put
> the StarTAC back on

See the thread where an old AMPS bagphone was replaced, today, with a NEWer
AMPS bagphone. If you owned a radio station listened to by thousands, that
ol' trusty StarTAC would be humming merrily along on the company's towers
just like it used to.

Precisely my point back on the bagphone thread....You're just a nobody, and
treated by the company like one.

--
Larry
Anonymous

On 8/19/05 4:24 PM, in article Xns96B7C63DAAB6noone@63.223.7.253, "Larry"
wrote:

> "jt" <jeeptop2000@yahoo.com> wrote in
>
>> Not since August 6th. I made the mistake of "upgrading" my StarTAC to
>> an LG vx6100. When I wanted to send the LG back they would let me put
>> the StarTAC back on
>>

> See the thread where an old AMPS bagphone was replaced, today, with a NEWer
> AMPS bagphone. If you owned a radio station listened to by thousands, that
> ol' trusty StarTAC would be humming merrily along on the company's towers
> just like it used to.
>
> Precisely my point back on the bagphone thread....You're just a nobody, and
> treated by the company like one.

I can't agree - the poster isn't being treated like a nobody....he/she
simply doesn't qualify for the exception. I still have my old StarTac which
I've always kept as a "backup", but I'll now maintain another "backup", my
old v710 rather than DEMAND special treatment......

What makes so many so prone to demonize anything Verizon does that is either
a requirement laid upon them by their regulators OR a simple business
decision which any entity engaged in a competitive business has every right
to make....?

Every time I've had a difference with Verizon over a policy, promotion or
"rule", they've listened and always accommodated me for no better reason
than I was a good customer for a long time.....they always acted cheerfully,
with a smile and with what has always seemed to me to be a sincere desire to
be cooperative and helpful.

OTOH, as I've stated before, I've seen them be less than helpful to the
shrieking whiners who loudly DEMAND that Verizon make their personal whims
"The Rules" regardless of what might be in their contract. Being abusive got
them nothing - which is all they deserve based on their rude behavior....!

PC
August 20, 2005 11:38:14 AM

On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 19:24:08 -0400, Larry <noone@home.com> wrote:

>See the thread where an old AMPS bagphone was replaced, today, with a NEWer
>AMPS bagphone. If you owned a radio station listened to by thousands, that
>ol' trusty StarTAC would be humming merrily along on the company's towers
>just like it used to.

At least for a few minutes til the battery died.

- -
!