Guess Verizon does not like the little guy

Last response: in Network Providers
August 13, 2005 4:33:16 PM

My wife and I been Verizon customers since the old Bell Atlantic days. We
currently are on a 300 min family share plan for $55/mo. We use about 1000
min/mo but, since we both work and don't use our cell phones during working
hours, only 100-200 are peak min. The remainder are in network and off
peak.

I went into my local verizon store to see about using our new every 2 to
upgrade our phones ... that will work but I have to sign a contract for a
new plan. The fewest minutes available is 700 for $70 / mo. I don't really
want to spend another $180/yr for minutes we will never use. Guess Verizon
doesn't want the small user. Also, my current plan includes free calling to
Canada, the new plan is just USA. For now, we will forget about the upgrade
and keep our current phones and plan.

Anyone else in this same boat?

More about : guess verizon guy

Anonymous
August 13, 2005 4:33:17 PM

On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 12:33:16 -0400, "Allen Paul"
<apaul2@nospam.cox.net> wrote:

>Anyone else in this same boat?

We are coming to the end of our contract and we are on the old Fam
Share Plan that includes roaming and I was told by VZW that I can
renew my old plan and also get my wife a new phone under the new every
two offer...

Try calling customer service instead of talking to someone in their
stores...although the phone folks leave something to be desired I
think they are better than the staff found in VSW stores or kiosks.

Let us know what you find out...

--

Pegleg
U.S. Navy Retired

All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words:
freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
Sir Winston Churchill
August 13, 2005 4:33:17 PM

I think you called it about right. However, I would have phrased it more
like "I have the best plan for me already" rather than "Guess Verizon does
not like the little guy".

-Frank

"Allen Paul" <apaul2@nospam.cox.net> wrote in message
> My wife and I been Verizon customers since the old Bell Atlantic days. We
> currently are on a 300 min family share plan for $55/mo. We use about
> 1000
> min/mo but, since we both work and don't use our cell phones during
> working
> hours, only 100-200 are peak min. The remainder are in network and off
> peak.
>
> I went into my local verizon store to see about using our new every 2 to
> upgrade our phones ... that will work but I have to sign a contract for a
> new plan. The fewest minutes available is 700 for $70 / mo. I don't
> really
> want to spend another $180/yr for minutes we will never use. Guess
> Verizon
> doesn't want the small user. Also, my current plan includes free calling
> Canada, the new plan is just USA. For now, we will forget about the
> upgrade
> and keep our current phones and plan.
>
> Anyone else in this same boat?

August 13, 2005 8:34:22 PM

On 2005-08-13, Allen Paul <apaul2@nospam.cox.net> wrote:
> Anyone else in this same boat?

They desperately have been trying to get me to get a better plan.
Im on the AC300 plan for over 2 years now, probably 18 months since my
contract expired. I'm also using a discount because my company does
work for them, so i pull in a 23% discount on all services

I gt a call every 2-3 days telling me what great deals they have and
how I should upgrade and buy a new phone, and be roped in for 2 years

I point out that I use 7-10 minutes monthly of my 300 minute plan, and
they should be lucky that I dont just cancel and get a tracfone instead.

I called a while back to see if I could make any changes to my contract
to save money. The response I got back, was the rep mutter "The only way
you could any more monet would be if you just cancelled your service.

--
Sick of USENET postwhores? Trolls? Flamers?
Read the Killfile FAQ for Newsgroups to learn

"Allen Paul" <apaul2@nospam.cox.net> wrote in message
> My wife and I been Verizon customers since the old Bell Atlantic days. We
> currently are on a 300 min family share plan for $55/mo. We use about
1000
> min/mo but, since we both work and don't use our cell phones during
working
> hours, only 100-200 are peak min. The remainder are in network and off
> peak.
>
> I went into my local verizon store to see about using our new every 2 to
> upgrade our phones ... that will work but I have to sign a contract for a
> new plan. The fewest minutes available is 700 for $70 / mo. I don't
really
> want to spend another $180/yr for minutes we will never use. Guess
Verizon
> doesn't want the small user. Also, my current plan includes free calling
> Canada, the new plan is just USA. For now, we will forget about the
upgrade
> and keep our current phones and plan.
>
> Anyone else in this same boat?

The verizon corp stores seem to take this position. I have gone to other
outlets servicing verizon and they have told me that if you insist you can
upgrade your phone under the every 2 free program simply by extending your
existing service contract. I have not done that since I don't want all the
bells and whistles that come on the new phones.
Howard
Anonymous
August 13, 2005 8:47:49 PM

On 8/13/05 9:47 AM, in article
UupLe.1715$A%3.1232@newssvr33.news.prodigy.com, "Howard Nelson" wrote:

<snip>

> The verizon corp stores seem to take this position. I have gone to other
> outlets servicing verizon and they have told me that if you insist you can
> upgrade your phone under the every 2 free program simply by extending your
> existing service contract. I have not done that since I don't want all the
> bells and whistles that come on the new phones.
> Howard

You are correct......

I have been with Verizon since the early days when they were Airtouch here
in San Diego....

I have "upgraded" more times than I can count. The last time was a few days
ago when I shifted to a new Motorola e815 under "new every two".

I have ALWAYS insisted that by "new" or actually "extended" contract must
contain any and all provisions already in place. Verizon has always honored
that request - after I insisted, a matter of simply mentioning it, no
hassles, ever....

When I shifted to the e815, I "insisted" on retaining National Access, and,
was informed that not only did I keep everything I had, including NA, I
qualified for what they call the "premier package" that gives me EVDO access
as well for no charge other than MOUs.......

It's my opinion that the experience you have with Verizon, or any other
vendor selling anything, is directly proportional to your "attitude".....

I've watched any number of shrieking, arrogant no loads in the local store
demanding their "right" to determine what Verizon "must" provide them - I
wouldn't help them either, never mind the young kids who have to face those
morons every day.....

Too many who post here have "shot themselves in the foot" and need an
attitude check a lot more than Verizon needs to be "sued".....politeness
and a smile get you a lot more than arrogant snarling.....!

Parenthetically, some who post here would be well advised to take that same
position wrt to their posting style.....arrogance really is a turn off....!

PC
Anonymous
August 13, 2005 9:55:07 PM

wrote:
>I went into my local verizon store to see about using our new every 2 to
>upgrade our phones ... that will work but I have to sign a contract for a
>new plan. The fewest minutes available is 700 for $70 / mo.

That doesn't sound right to me. Did you look at the printed brochures to
see what the current plans are?

>I don't really
>want to spend another $180/yr for minutes we will never use. Guess Verizon
>doesn't want the small user. Also, my current plan includes free calling to
>Canada, the new plan is just USA.

That's right, you will lose your included long distance to Canada.

>For now, we will forget about the upgrade
>and keep our current phones and plan.

You can always get new phones, but you'll have to pay full price for them
unless you want a new calling plan and to lose your long distance to
Canada.

--
Bob Scheurle | "There's nobody getting
njtbob@X-verizon-X.net | rich writing software."

>>I went into my local verizon store to see about using our new every 2 to
>>upgrade our phones ... that will work but I have to sign a contract for a
>>new plan. The fewest minutes available is 700 for $70 / mo.
>
> That doesn't sound right to me. Did you look at the printed brochures to
> see what the current plans are?

These are the current plans. None under 700 minutes.

-Frank
Anonymous
August 13, 2005 9:55:09 PM

On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 12:04:38 -0600, "Frankster" <Frank@SPAM2TRASH.com>
wrote:

>These are the current plans. None under 700 minutes.

Once again...you can renew the plan you already have and do the new
every two phone upgrade.

--

Pegleg
U.S. Navy Retired
Support Our Troops

All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words:
freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
Sir Winston Churchill
Anonymous
August 13, 2005 9:55:10 PM

On 8/13/05 12:18 PM, in article cphsf11gmif748fj4bf99vovkkpjl69v9k@4ax.com,
"Pegleg" wrote:

> On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 12:04:38 -0600, "Frankster" <Frank@SPAM2TRASH.com>
> wrote:
>
>> These are the current plans. None under 700 minutes.
>
> Once again...you can renew the plan you already have and do the new
> every two phone upgrade.

Dead bang right!

As I said in an earlier message, it's more a matter of attitude than
anything else - treat the Verizon people with courtesy and respect and
that's what you'll get from them.....and you will almost always get the
benefit of being able to keep what you have......and extend same....!

PC
August 13, 2005 10:08:52 PM

> When I shifted to the e815, I "insisted" on retaining National Access,
> and,
> was informed that not only did I keep everything I had, including NA, I
> qualified for what they call the "premier package" that gives me EVDO
> access
> as well for no charge other than MOUs.......

I kept all that too when I upgraded NE2 to a 8000. I also have the "Premium
Network Access". What exactly is Premium Network Access? That is how it
shows on my on-line bill feature list.

BTW, I do get 60-80kbps speeds with my 8000 tethered to my laptop. The
funny thing is, no MOU (which I did have before too) and no kb charges. No
nothing. However, if I use my 8000 to connect to my own ISP I get billed
for MOU. Interesting eh...? Also, VCast is not available in my area yet.
Maybe that matters.

-Frank
Anonymous
August 13, 2005 10:08:53 PM

On 8/13/05 5:08 PM, in article
crqdnZ2dnZ2NVq_EnZ2dnQgWY9-dnZ2dRVn-y52dnZ0@giganews.com, "Frankster" wrote:

>> When I shifted to the e815, I "insisted" on retaining National Access,
>> and,
>> was informed that not only did I keep everything I had, including NA, I
>> qualified for what they call the "premier package" that gives me EVDO
>> access
>> as well for no charge other than MOUs.......
>
> I kept all that too when I upgraded NE2 to a 8000. I also have the "Premium
> Network Access". What exactly is Premium Network Access? That is how it
> shows on my on-line bill feature list.

It means that you get EVDO without additional charges, i.e., MOU only....

> BTW, I do get 60-80kbps speeds with my 8000 tethered to my laptop. The
> funny thing is, no MOU (which I did have before too) and no kb charges. No
> nothing. However, if I use my 8000 to connect to my own ISP I get billed
> for MOU. Interesting eh...? Also, VCast is not available in my area yet.
> Maybe that matters.

VCast doesn't matter to me....:)

Looks like your account is set up correctly in all other respects.....

PC

> -Frank

Anonymous
August 14, 2005 5:15:11 AM

Allen Paul wrote:
> My wife and I been Verizon customers since the old Bell Atlantic days. We
> currently are on a 300 min family share plan for $55/mo. We use about 1000
> min/mo but, since we both work and don't use our cell phones during working
> hours, only 100-200 are peak min. The remainder are in network and off
> peak.
>
> I went into my local verizon store to see about using our new every 2 to
> upgrade our phones ... that will work but I have to sign a contract for a
> new plan. The fewest minutes available is 700 for $70 / mo. I don't really
> want to spend another $180/yr for minutes we will never use. Guess Verizon
> doesn't want the small user. Also, my current plan includes free calling to
> Canada, the new plan is just USA. For now, we will forget about the upgrade
> and keep our current phones and plan.
>
> Anyone else in this same boat?

I have a four-phone family plan with America's Choice. Just a month
ago, I used NE2 to get a Blackberry at a discount. They extended my old
plan for two years rather than moving me to ACII. If they had changed
my plan, I would have had more minutes in the plan and the extra phones
would have been cheaper, which is apparently why they didn't even try to
sell me on ACII. (And I still get free roaming instead of no roaming, etc.)

--
Michael D. Sullivan
Bethesda, MD (USA)

On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 01:15:11 GMT, "Michael D. Sullivan"
<userid@camsul.example.invalid> wrote:

>Allen Paul wrote:
>> My wife and I been Verizon customers since the old Bell Atlantic days. We
>> currently are on a 300 min family share plan for $55/mo. We use about 1000
>> min/mo but, since we both work and don't use our cell phones during working
>> hours, only 100-200 are peak min. The remainder are in network and off
>> peak.
>>
>> I went into my local verizon store to see about using our new every 2 to
>> upgrade our phones ... that will work but I have to sign a contract for a
>> new plan. The fewest minutes available is 700 for $70 / mo. I don't really
>> want to spend another $180/yr for minutes we will never use. Guess Verizon
>> doesn't want the small user. Also, my current plan includes free calling to
>> Canada, the new plan is just USA. For now, we will forget about the upgrade
>> and keep our current phones and plan.
>>
>> Anyone else in this same boat?
>
>I have a four-phone family plan with America's Choice. Just a month
>ago, I used NE2 to get a Blackberry at a discount. They extended my old
>plan for two years rather than moving me to ACII. If they had changed
>my plan, I would have had more minutes in the plan and the extra phones
>would have been cheaper, which is apparently why they didn't even try to
>sell me on ACII. (And I still get free roaming instead of no roaming, etc.)

Funny, anytime I talked to CS or a store while trying to find out when
the E815 would be released they made it a point to mention how they
could save me money. I was completely aware of how I could save
money, and fully intended on doing so, when I upgraded my phone. They
always offer a text or pix plan when they see a couple messages having
been sent...
August 14, 2005 8:12:12 AM

How did you get the Premium Network Access? Dose it cost you extra. I also
have the 8000 and I am in the V Cast/EV DO network and the Premium Network
Access dose not show up on my account. I use my phone to hook up to the
internet and I use the mobile web and the V Cast services every day. I also
did not see National Access on my account. So I called VZW and they told me
that National Access could not be added to my account because it is not
compatible with the V-Cast - EV DO service/network. I have unlimited kB
usage on my account so I am not sure if that has any thing to do with it. If
the LG 8000 is National Access ready then why is VZW set up to where they
can not add it along with the V Cast and EV DO service/network?

"Frankster" <Frank@SPAM2TRASH.com> wrote in message
>> When I shifted to the e815, I "insisted" on retaining National Access,
>> and,
>> was informed that not only did I keep everything I had, including NA, I
>> qualified for what they call the "premier package" that gives me EVDO
>> access
>> as well for no charge other than MOUs.......
>
> I kept all that too when I upgraded NE2 to a 8000. I also have the
> "Premium Network Access". What exactly is Premium Network Access? That is
> how it shows on my on-line bill feature list.
>
> BTW, I do get 60-80kbps speeds with my 8000 tethered to my laptop. The
> funny thing is, no MOU (which I did have before too) and no kb charges. No
> nothing. However, if I use my 8000 to connect to my own ISP I get billed
> for MOU. Interesting eh...? Also, VCast is not available in my area yet.
> Maybe that matters.
>
> -Frank

August 14, 2005 12:08:49 PM

I don't know. I also have unlimited kb usage on my account and I do not have
any data plan. The only thing "extra" I have is "Mobil Web" for $5.00/mo.

-Frank

"Viper" <user@user.com> wrote in message
> How did you get the Premium Network Access? Dose it cost you extra. I also
> have the 8000 and I am in the V Cast/EV DO network and the Premium
> Network Access dose not show up on my account. I use my phone to hook up
> to the internet and I use the mobile web and the V Cast services every
> day. I also did not see National Access on my account. So I called VZW and
> they told me that National Access could not be added to my account because
> it is not compatible with the V-Cast - EV DO service/network. I have
> unlimited kB usage on my account so I am not sure if that has any thing to
> do with it. If the LG 8000 is National Access ready then why is VZW set up
> to where they can not add it along with the V Cast and EV DO
> service/network?
>
> "Frankster" <Frank@SPAM2TRASH.com> wrote in message
>>> When I shifted to the e815, I "insisted" on retaining National Access,
>>> and,
>>> was informed that not only did I keep everything I had, including NA, I
>>> qualified for what they call the "premier package" that gives me EVDO
>>> access
>>> as well for no charge other than MOUs.......
>>
>> I kept all that too when I upgraded NE2 to a 8000. I also have the
>> "Premium Network Access". What exactly is Premium Network Access? That is
>> how it shows on my on-line bill feature list.
>>
>> BTW, I do get 60-80kbps speeds with my 8000 tethered to my laptop. The
>> funny thing is, no MOU (which I did have before too) and no kb charges.
>> No nothing. However, if I use my 8000 to connect to my own ISP I get
>> billed for MOU. Interesting eh...? Also, VCast is not available in my
>> area yet. Maybe that matters.
>>
>> -Frank

August 14, 2005 7:09:15 PM

In article <EgpLe.749$A33.427@lakeread06>, apaul2@nospam.cox.net says...
> My wife and I been Verizon customers since the old Bell Atlantic days. We
> currently are on a 300 min family share plan for $55/mo. We use about 1000
> min/mo but, since we both work and don't use our cell phones during working
> hours, only 100-200 are peak min. The remainder are in network and off
> peak.
>
> I went into my local verizon store to see about using our new every 2 to
> upgrade our phones ... that will work but I have to sign a contract for a
> new plan. The fewest minutes available is 700 for $70 / mo. I don't really
> want to spend another $180/yr for minutes we will never use. Guess Verizon
> doesn't want the small user. Also, my current plan includes free calling to
> Canada, the new plan is just USA. For now, we will forget about the upgrade
> and keep our current phones and plan.
>
> Anyone else in this same boat?

The easiest way is to use Verizon website. There is option to "upgrade"
your cell phone. Shipping is free and in some cases they have special
discount for ordering online. I got my Motorola E815 completely for with
free shipping.

AP
!