Blizzard Launches WoW ''Starter Edition''

Status
Not open for further replies.

dimar

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
I love Warcraft Universe and lore and books and comics, and RTS games... But really dislike WoW games. Tried to play it about 4 times now, and everytime just quit after playing less than an hour. Does Blizzard have a solution for people like me??

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
The studio added that anyone who owns the original World of Warcraft, regardless of when they purchased the game, will automatically be able to access all of the content and features from The Burning Crusade expansion at no additional cost.
If you quit prior to BC (6 years ago), you can play the expansion that came out 5 years ago for free! Oh wait! That's only if you resub, though! LMAO. Pathetic...

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
It won't matter.
Everything in the game feels so used, and every new thing they implement just seems like something that should've been there all along, and thus is never appreaciated. The game is over. Really. They can keep adding content to keep a few million players happy, but most casual players will be bored by it anyway.

dco

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
This is a nice little benefit for new players but pretty stupid as this does nothing to sway long term players from quitting.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
It's clear that WoW had hit its peak long ago when it came to subscribers and once that happens there really is only one way to go and that down. In no way am I saying WoW is dead but its going to gradually lose players over time eventually coming down to the most hardcore and dedicated players. Servers will merge until there is one per region and soon after that it will shutdown for good. I've seen it happen before and even WoW isn't immune to such.

This is of course assuming they don't go free to play eventually. Which will expand its life but even then nothing lasts forever. Whether you love or hate WoW you have to admit it will be quite a event to see when the giant gets laid to rest.

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
The Burning Crusade expansion isn't good enough to convince people who quit pre-BC to come back. That xpac was pretty boring compared to the others.

The first timer has to buy the battle chest, Wraith of the lich king, Cataclysm, and one month play time totaling $108 or a game card totaling $122. This is no way to get new customers and will confuse customers on what they much buy. The latest expansion plus monthly cost should be the only things required for play.

hajila

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
Blizz understands that WoW is done. This move is just one of many designed to stop the hemorrhaging and maintain cash flow until Diablo III and more importantly Titan hit. They have said repeatedly that all of their real talent has been pulled from WoW to work exclusively on Titan. WoW will continue to backslide and be regurgitated content under the hands of interns and new hires at Blizz. That being said I still play not exclusively because of the game but because it allows me to interact in a fun way with my friends stationed all over the world.

macewrox

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2011
[citation][nom]hajila[/nom]Blizz understands that WoW is done. This move is just one of many designed to stop the hemorrhaging and maintain cash flow until Diablo III and more importantly Titan hit. They have said repeatedly that all of their real talent has been pulled from WoW to work exclusively on Titan. WoW will continue to backslide and be regurgitated content under the hands of interns and new hires at Blizz. That being said I still play not exclusively because of the game but because it allows me to interact in a fun way with my friends stationed all over the world.[/citation]

This. I'm just lookin forward to Titan.

heerobya

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2011
They already completely re-did nearly every aspect of the 1-60 game for "new players" that is a LOT more casual friendly with faster leveling, better zone design, more interesting and diverse quests, etc.

If anything the real stagnation is in the "end game" because no matter how many new dungeons and raids they add, it'll always be more of the same.

The really need to explore new, different styles/types of content beyond dungeons/raids and daily quests.

I am very surprised after all this time they have not added in any Warhammer like Public Quests or Rift like invasions/dynamic content.

They have completely and totally shied away from open-world PvP in favor of their battlegrounds and arena's and PvP event zones like Tol Barad, but to bring the veterans back and keep them playing, we need open world dynamic PvE and PvP content!

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]NuclearShadow[/nom]It's clear that WoW had hit its peak long ago when it came to subscribers and once that happens there really is only one way to go and that down. In no way am I saying WoW is dead but its going to gradually lose players over time eventually coming down to the most hardcore and dedicated players. Servers will merge until there is one per region and soon after that it will shutdown for good. I've seen it happen before and even WoW isn't immune to such.This is of course assuming they don't go free to play eventually. Which will expand its life but even then nothing lasts forever. Whether you love or hate WoW you have to admit it will be quite a event to see when the giant gets laid to rest.[/citation]

yep truer words were never spoken, Look at EQ , the game that started the MMO craze, it died and well it's sequel couldnt even last out. Who knows though , there were many inheirantly wrong things with EQ 2 ,but with blizard's record i could see a WoW 2 possibly even surpass WoW 1 in players.

however , i will yank my hair out if blizzard releases a WoW 2 before making a warcraft 4 RTS. (ie i cant really stand MMO's) and i hate teh fact that so many companies are jumping to moo's with IP's taht used to be RTS or single palyer RPG ( such as SW:ToR). sure muliplayer games are great , but the market is started to get flooded with games that focus too much on MP, especially MMO's .

i really miss the days where beter single player games were more numerous , oh well , at least i can look forward to Skyrim for single player rpg fun.

juiceman

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2006
Why is so important to be right? Why are so many persons pointing to the death of WOW, a game still being played by so many?

No matter how good a game or experience is, it will always get stale, after doing it for a while. WOW will not be dead until everyone who can play it has moved on, and there are still a lot of people who haven't tried it. With one caveat, it certainly won't be worth it to maintain the servers if the total number of users fall below a certain threshold.

yoda22r

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2011
It always amazes me that everytime a WoW article comes out so do the WoW haters. If you don't like it then don't play it, but don't try to convince everyone that wow is "dead" and "done" and is not a good game. It makes you look rather pathetic to post on a game you don't even like. Blizzard could lose half of its subscribers and STILL be 5-6 times more popular than the closest #2. When a valid competitor arrives then a discussion can be had about which is better and why, but there is obviosly no real competition at this time and Blizzards has the Facts to prove it.....all 11.4 MILLION of them

bryguy894

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2009
[citation][nom]macewrox[/nom]This. I'm just lookin forward to Titan.[/citation]

Whats the best source of information on the Titan project?

jn77

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
I played WoW on my 386 sx, 4mb ram and 60mb hard drive....... on mmy current system, this is not the game for me. They need a major over haul

lolyumadbro

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2011
[citation][nom]elbert[/nom]The first timer has to buy the battle chest, Wraith of the lich king, Cataclysm, and one month play time totaling $108 or a game card totaling $122. This is no way to get new customers and will confuse customers on what they much buy. The latest expansion plus monthly cost should be the only things required for play.[/citation]

The original game, first expansion, and 1 month of game time will cost you $19.99. Considering the amount of hours you put into the game for those first 2 releases, I'd say it's WELL worth it.

It's not like you have to buy all content on the first day.

Status
Not open for further replies.