PC TV Tuner cards access to digitaql cable channels

One thing that is not clear to me yet after reading specs from various
TV Tuner cards is whether these cards can access the cable company's
channels above the analog 125 channels, whether they are HDTV
channels or not.

Some of these cards' specs seem to talk about being able to receive
HDTV channels broadcast through the air, which has nothing to do with
the numerous digital channels which are transmitted through the coax
cable, but are above channel 125.
Can anyone clear this up ?
If they cannot display these 125+ channels, why is this ?

On a Google search, this web site had a "PC TV" section which talked
about tuners, but I cannot find that section when accessing this web
site.

Aeneas
2 answers Last reply
More about tuner cards access digitaql cable channels

    "Aeneas" <mkbrown32@hotmail-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
    > One thing that is not clear to me yet after reading specs from various
    > TV Tuner cards is whether these cards can access the cable company's
    > channels above the analog 125 channels, whether they are HDTV
    > channels or not.
    >
    > Some of these cards' specs seem to talk about being able to receive
    > HDTV channels broadcast through the air, which has nothing to do with
    > the numerous digital channels which are transmitted through the coax
    > cable, but are above channel 125.
    > Can anyone clear this up ?
    > If they cannot display these 125+ channels, why is this ?
    >
    > On a Google search, this web site had a "PC TV" section which talked
    > about tuners, but I cannot find that section when accessing this web
    > site.

    No you need a cable or satellite box in between signal and tv tuner. The
    reason is because they are all encrypted digital channels and your tuner
    card can only see unencrypted analog signals. The only exception to this is
    the OTA HDTV channels which cards like the ATI HDTV Wonder is able to see
    because they are sent unencrypted.

    You might want to take a walk to www.thegreenbutton.com/community which has
    a lot of info.
    --
    Cari (MS-MVP)
    Printing & Imaging

    > Cariwrote:
    "Aeneas" <mkbrown32@hotmail-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in
    message
    > One thing that is not clear to me yet after reading specs from
    various
    > TV Tuner cards is whether these cards can access the cable
    company's
    > channels above the analog 125 channels, whether they are HDTV
    > channels or not.
    >
    > Some of these cards' specs seem to talk about being able to receive
    > HDTV channels broadcast through the air, which has nothing to do
    with
    > the numerous digital channels which are transmitted through the
    coax
    > cable, but are above channel 125.
    > Can anyone clear this up ?
    > If they cannot display these 125+ channels, why is this ?
    >
    > On a Google search, this web site had a "PC TV" section which
    talked
    > about tuners, but I cannot find that section when accessing this
    web
    > site.
    >
    > No you need a cable or satellite box in between signal and tv tuner.
    The
    reason is because they are all encrypted digital channels and your
    tuner
    card can only see unencrypted analog signals. The only exception to
    this is
    the OTA HDTV channels which cards like the ATI HDTV Wonder is able to
    see
    because they are sent unencrypted.

    You might want to take a walk to www.thegreenbutton.com/community
    which has
    a lot of info.
    --
    Cari (MS-MVP)
    Printing & Imaging
    Are you certain that all of the super-125 digital cable coax channels
    are encrypted ? Show me a URL which says this.
    Why would the cable companies be determined to prevent people from
    watching channels which are not premium channel ?

    Aeneas

Graphics Cards TV Tuner Cards Cable Graphics