Next Generation. When?

Nic

I'm on a 5900 now - when wil next generation be out?

--

Nic

(remove all xyz from email address to reply)

Mid-April

"Nic" <emailxyznifo@tiscali.dk> wrote in message
> I'm on a 5900 now - when wil next generation be out?
>
> --
>
> Nic
>
> (remove all xyz from email address to reply)

"Nic" <emailxyznifo@tiscali.dk> wrote in message
> I'm on a 5900 now - when wil next generation be out?

Basically the current generation is very scalable. So in terms of features,
DX9 games can already be very impressive but at the moment, even 5950 Ultra
isn't going to do all the effects etc. at 60 fps with FSAA etc.

Boon

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2004

"Darkfalz" <darkfalz@microsoft.com> wrote in message
> "Nic" <emailxyznifo@tiscali.dk> wrote in message
> > I'm on a 5900 now - when wil next generation be out?
>
> Basically the current generation is very scalable. So in terms of
features,
> DX9 games can already be very impressive but at the moment, even 5950
Ultra
> isn't going to do all the effects etc. at 60 fps with FSAA etc.

and by the time a nvidia card can do dx9 games decently, dx10 will be
out.....

Boon

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2004

"boon" <boon@boonboon.boon> wrote in message

> and by the time a nvidia card can do dx9 games decently, dx10 will be
> out.....

and by the time a nvidia card can do dx10 games decently, dx11 will be
out....and on, and on, and ariston.

"boon" <boon@boonboon.boon> wrote in message news:<wF_9c.221$zd1.2330919@news-text.cableinet.net>...
> "Darkfalz" <darkfalz@microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > "Nic" <emailxyznifo@tiscali.dk> wrote in message
> > > I'm on a 5900 now - when wil next generation be out?
> >
> > Basically the current generation is very scalable. So in terms of
> features,
> > DX9 games can already be very impressive but at the moment, even 5950
> Ultra
> > isn't going to do all the effects etc. at 60 fps with FSAA etc.
> >
> and by the time a nvidia card can do dx9 games decently, dx10 will be
> out.....

Well we have seen it with the different waves of cards. I mean the Ati
Radeon 9x series are good in pixelshaders...but..it can better. I
guess that the reason why ati is better currently in DX9 is because of
that for ati... the specs of DX9 was the most important thing. The
card they made..just does that.

While Nvidia rather made a "between stage" card that does DX9 but...
not as primary thing. So we see today... OpenGL... nvidia wins.. DX9?
Ati wins!

And I guess OpenGL is... something for ati to look into. Not every
game is in DX9 :)

Approximately two months is what's being said.

--
DaveW

"Nic" <emailxyznifo@tiscali.dk> wrote in message
> I'm on a 5900 now - when wil next generation be out?
>
> --
>
> Nic
>
> (remove all xyz from email address to reply)

NaDa

"boon" <boon@boonboon.boon> wrote:
> "Darkfalz" <darkfalz@microsoft.com> wrote:
> > "Nic" <emailxyznifo@tiscali.dk> wrote:
> > > I'm on a 5900 now - when wil next generation be out?
> >
> > Basically the current generation is very scalable. So in terms of
> > features, DX9 games can already be very impressive but at the moment, even
> > 5950 Ultra isn't going to do all the effects etc. at 60 fps with FSAA etc.
> >
> and by the time a nvidia card can do dx9 games decently, dx10 will be
> out.....

It doesen't matter if DX10 comes out by the time modern graphics card
can handle smooth frame-rates for DX9, since the DX10 adapted games
will be kept in the labs for months. There's so many DX8 and DX9
cards out there that it will hold down the game designers and the
companies somewhat like it has in the past. Aside from "Halo" and
"Far Cry" there hasn't been that many DX9 games out there -- uh,
unless you call the pirated Russian "Doom 3" and "Half Life 2" as
such. The market is dominated by DX8 games; "Splinter Cell", "Max
Payne 2", "Call of Duty" and whatnot. If the designing team is
talented like Remedy, you can get excellent results with just DX8
implemented effects. I hope nVidia will look back at their FX
catalogue and release a similar "dollar-meets-performance" card in the
vain of old GeForce 3 Titanium 200, Titanium 4200 and XT5900. These
are the cards that stand in the tests of time as "Best Buy" products.
Every time they have released these type of cards, they've redeemed
themselves from my point of view. There's a G-spot right there up in
the 200 euro/dollar section that nVidia should had taken a closer look
last summer - they forgot it, and was I disappointed (?) -- hell yes!
The leap between 5600 Ultras and FX5900 models was too huge. It's a
gap that should be patched. If they don't, the competitors will, or
at least use it as an advantage.

On Mon, 29 Mar 2004 19:19:56 GMT, "boon" <boon@boonboon.boon> wrote:

>"Darkfalz" <darkfalz@microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> "Nic" <emailxyznifo@tiscali.dk> wrote in message
>> > I'm on a 5900 now - when wil next generation be out?
>>
>> Basically the current generation is very scalable. So in terms of
>features,
>> DX9 games can already be very impressive but at the moment, even 5950
>Ultra
>> isn't going to do all the effects etc. at 60 fps with FSAA etc.
>>
>and by the time a nvidia card can do dx9 games decently, dx10 will be
>out.....

Want to take some bets on that ? Glance over nVidia's
news releases last week and peruse the readme of the
Far Cry V1.1 patch.

John Lewis

Bean

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2001

"Nada" <nada_says@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> "boon" <boon@boonboon.boon> wrote:
> > >
> > > Basically the current generation is very scalable. So in terms of
> > > features, DX9 games can already be very impressive but at the moment,
even
> > > 5950 Ultra isn't going to do all the effects etc. at 60 fps with FSAA
etc.

> > and by the time a nvidia card can do dx9 games decently, dx10 will be
> > out.....
>
> It doesen't matter if DX10 comes out by the time modern graphics card
> can handle smooth frame-rates for DX9, since the DX10 adapted games
> will be kept in the labs for months. There's so many DX8 and DX9
> cards out there that it will hold down the game designers and the
> companies somewhat like it has in the past. Aside from "Halo" and
> "Far Cry" there hasn't been that many DX9 games out there -- uh,
> unless you call the pirated Russian "Doom 3" and "Half Life 2" as
> such. The market is dominated by DX8 games; "Splinter Cell", "Max
> Payne 2", "Call of Duty" and whatnot. If the designing team is
> talented like Remedy, you can get excellent results with just DX8
> implemented effects. I hope nVidia will look back at their FX
> catalogue and release a similar "dollar-meets-performance" card in the
> vain of old GeForce 3 Titanium 200, Titanium 4200 and XT5900. These
> are the cards that stand in the tests of time as "Best Buy" products.
> Every time they have released these type of cards, they've redeemed
> themselves from my point of view. There's a G-spot right there up in
> the 200 euro/dollar section that nVidia should had taken a closer look
> last summer - they forgot it, and was I disappointed (?) -- hell yes!
> The leap between 5600 Ultras and FX5900 models was too huge. It's a
> gap that should be patched. If they don't, the competitors will, or
> at least use it as an advantage.

Dont forget that Tombraider: Angel of Darkness (whatever the latest one is)
is also a DX9 game. Isnt Dues EX2 dx9 also?

NaDa

"Bean" <ncernig@sonic.net> wrote:
> Dont forget that Tombraider: Angel of Darkness (whatever the latest one is)
> is also a DX9 game. Isnt Dues EX2 dx9 also?

No, Deus Ex 2 isn't doesen't use DX9 shaders, but the game is
extremely lagging. I'll post some framerate results with GeForce 3 Ti
200, GeForce Titanium 4200 and GeForce FX 5900XT that I did while
testing the demo of that particular game.

Bean

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2001

Doesnt the game use normal mapping? i thought that was a feature in dx9.
Maybe im worng and its been there since dx8.

> "Bean" <ncernig@sonic.net> wrote:
> > Dont forget that Tombraider: Angel of Darkness (whatever the latest one
is)
> > is also a DX9 game. Isnt Dues EX2 dx9 also?
>

> No, Deus Ex 2 isn't doesen't use DX9 shaders, but the game is
> extremely lagging. I'll post some framerate results with GeForce 3 Ti
> 200, GeForce Titanium 4200 and GeForce FX 5900XT that I did while
> testing the demo of that particular game.

Bean

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2001

according to the required specs list it, requires dx9 to be on the machine,
http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/224171.asp

"Nada" <nada_says@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> "Bean" <ncernig@sonic.net> wrote:
> > Dont forget that Tombraider: Angel of Darkness (whatever the latest one
is)
> > is also a DX9 game. Isnt Dues EX2 dx9 also?
>

> No, Deus Ex 2 isn't doesen't use DX9 shaders, but the game is
> extremely lagging. I'll post some framerate results with GeForce 3 Ti
> 200, GeForce Titanium 4200 and GeForce FX 5900XT that I did while
> testing the demo of that particular game.

NaDa

"Bean" <ncernig@sonic.net> wrote:
> according to the required specs list it, requires dx9 to be on the machine,
> http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/224171.asp

Most new games do require DX9 to be installed even though the effects
on the game itself are standardized DX8 effects. However, DX7 cards
(GeForce 4 MX and GeForce 2, 1st generation Radeons) won't even be
able to start "Deus Ex 2". There's not too many "true" DX9 games out
there yet. But by the end of this year, there should be plenty of
them to make people considering an upgrade.

> "Nada" <nada_says@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > "Bean" <ncernig@sonic.net> wrote:
> > > Dont forget that Tombraider: Angel of Darkness (whatever the latest one
> > > is) is also a DX9 game. Isnt Dues EX2 dx9 also?
> >

> > No, Deus Ex 2 isn't doesen't use DX9 shaders, but the game is
> > extremely lagging. I'll post some framerate results with GeForce 3 Ti
> > 200, GeForce Titanium 4200 and GeForce FX 5900XT that I did while
> > testing the demo of that particular game.

On Mon, 29 Mar 2004 23:58:26 GMT, "DaveW" <none@zero.org> posted a message in
news:alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia which read:

> Approximately two months is what's being said.

Might as well replace my GeForce 2 Ultra with a 5900XT to get me through until
the new stuff comes out. My local computer shop has them for $199, but I
don't remember what brand they are. I wish nVidia would put out their own
brand instead of having just the chipset for others to manufacture.

Damaeus