ti4200 annoyances

Expert

I have an MSI KT6 Delta mainboard, AMD 2500+ chip, 768 megs of pc 2700 ram
and an MSI ti4200 128 meg card, which I bought new a month ago, full retail
box. I am having a couple of issues with it that maybe someone in her can
help me with.
I get what I could best describe as "traces" of colour across my screen,
especially after dragging a window. The traces appear as horizontal lines of
a primary colour, similar to this;---------. refreshing the screen removes
them.
The traces also appear on occasion in an open browser window or other
program window, in random fashion. I have a screen shot, if it would help
anyone to see the traces.

desktop shot; http://home.earthlink.net/~sticklad/photos/deskshot.jpg

As well during UT2003, I get some pretty strange graphics happening;
sometimes it's as if a "wall" appears, or some other "sheet" of graphics
comes across my view.

UT2003 shot; http://home.earthlink.net/~sticklad/photos/UT20032.jpg

I have tried numerous sets of drivers, from the Nvidia and MSI sites, but
they all produce the same result. I'm starting to wonder if I need to RMA
the card. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

RS

Expert

Just to add something else, I have a brand new Enermax 350 watt PS in the
machine too.

RS

Rusty wrote:
> I have an MSI KT6 Delta mainboard, AMD 2500+ chip, 768 megs of pc
> 2700 ram and an MSI ti4200 128 meg card, which I bought new a month
> ago, full retail box. I am having a couple of issues with it that
> maybe someone in her can help me with.
> I get what I could best describe as "traces" of colour across my
> screen, especially after dragging a window. The traces appear as
> horizontal lines of a primary colour, similar to this;---------.
> refreshing the screen removes them.
> The traces also appear on occasion in an open browser window or other
> program window, in random fashion. I have a screen shot, if it would
> help anyone to see the traces.
>
> desktop shot; http://home.earthlink.net/~sticklad/photos/deskshot.jpg
>

> As well during UT2003, I get some pretty strange graphics happening;
> sometimes it's as if a "wall" appears, or some other "sheet" of
> graphics comes across my view.
>
> UT2003 shot; http://home.earthlink.net/~sticklad/photos/UT20032.jpg
>

> I have tried numerous sets of drivers, from the Nvidia and MSI sites,
> but they all produce the same result. I'm starting to wonder if I
> need to RMA the card. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks
>
> RS

I could see the problem happening with a certain set of drivers, but if you
have tried a few different versions the card might be bad. Try using the
44.03's I use them with my 4200 and they work great. Good speed and stable.
You might also want to remove the card and clean the edge contacts with a
pencil erasor. Then put the card back and see if it makes a difference.

scooter

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2001

I used to have this problem as well. It turned out to be a problem with the
Bios of my KT4 MSI motherboard. Flashed the bios with new one from MSI
website and no problems. Also check and make sure your VIA drivers are up to
date

"Rusty" <rustyshacleford@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
> I have an MSI KT6 Delta mainboard, AMD 2500+ chip, 768 megs of pc 2700 ram
> and an MSI ti4200 128 meg card, which I bought new a month ago, full
retail
> box. I am having a couple of issues with it that maybe someone in her can
> help me with.
> I get what I could best describe as "traces" of colour across my screen,
> especially after dragging a window. The traces appear as horizontal lines
of
> a primary colour, similar to this;---------. refreshing the screen removes
> them.
> The traces also appear on occasion in an open browser window or other
> program window, in random fashion. I have a screen shot, if it would help
> anyone to see the traces.
>
> desktop shot; http://home.earthlink.net/~sticklad/photos/deskshot.jpg
>

> As well during UT2003, I get some pretty strange graphics happening;
> sometimes it's as if a "wall" appears, or some other "sheet" of graphics
> comes across my view.
>
> UT2003 shot; http://home.earthlink.net/~sticklad/photos/UT20032.jpg
>

> I have tried numerous sets of drivers, from the Nvidia and MSI sites, but
> they all produce the same result. I'm starting to wonder if I need to RMA
> the card. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks
>
> RS

Dino

when I had that issue in Medal of Honor with my MSI Ti4200...I uninstalled
it...went to safe mode ran driver cleaner and then installed 45.23 drivers.
From that point on that is all I have ran with that card. I moved it to the
kids system awhile ago and put the 45.23's in on a clean format and it runs
great.

Kitsune

Hi,

I've got these night something like that. I have an Asus TI4200 128MB,
512MB ram and Intel 2400 chip, in add of Win2k. Just today my ADSL
connection came and it was a great update, but when I've got the nvidia
driver 56.64, the traces come. Even in the BIOS!
When the resolution is set to 16 bits (and maybe in 8), there are the
traces, and not in 32 bits. Before the update, it worked well but after,
even with old drivers the traces are still there in 16 bits.
In games, sometimes I can see black pixels.

Is there a way to reset the card? Because it look like the new driver
has enabled a not supported option.

Rusty wrote:

> I have an MSI KT6 Delta mainboard, AMD 2500+ chip, 768 megs of pc 2700 ram
> and an MSI ti4200 128 meg card, which I bought new a month ago, full retail
> box. I am having a couple of issues with it that maybe someone in her can
> help me with.
> I get what I could best describe as "traces" of colour across my screen,
> especially after dragging a window. The traces appear as horizontal lines of
> a primary colour, similar to this;---------. refreshing the screen removes
> them.
> The traces also appear on occasion in an open browser window or other
> program window, in random fashion. I have a screen shot, if it would help
> anyone to see the traces.
>
> desktop shot; http://home.earthlink.net/~sticklad/photos/deskshot.jpg
>

> As well during UT2003, I get some pretty strange graphics happening;
> sometimes it's as if a "wall" appears, or some other "sheet" of graphics
> comes across my view.
>
> UT2003 shot; http://home.earthlink.net/~sticklad/photos/UT20032.jpg
>

> I have tried numerous sets of drivers, from the Nvidia and MSI sites, but
> they all produce the same result. I'm starting to wonder if I need to RMA
> the card. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks
>
> RS

Expert

Sigh...Ran driver cleaner in safe mode, installed the newest drivers, and I
already have the latest Via drivers and the latest bios...no joy, still
having issues....

RS

> Sigh...Ran driver cleaner in safe mode, installed the newest drivers, and
> already have the latest Via drivers and the latest bios...no joy, still
> having issues....
>
> RS

I had this same problem tonight (no changes to my system, just started
happening). I tried the analog output and had the same result. I
removed/reinstalled my card (PNY Ti4200) and changed back to DVI and the
artifacts were gone. Since I had the problem with both DVI and analog, I'm
guessing that it was reseating of the card that fixed it and not window's
reloading of the drivers.

Good Luck.

- Chuck

Expert

I contacted MSI, and they advised me to test the card in another machine. So
I did. Identical problems occur in that machine too. So, I'm sending it back
to MSI for an RMA replacement.

Thanks to all who helped me with this issue.

RS