gladiac gforce 3

Does the gladiac nvidia gforce 3 64mb support direct x 9b.?
sytem is abit nf7-s 160 SATA hdd 512 DDR400 , athlon 2500+
with nvidia 56.64 and 3.1 nforce drivers.+latest bios
we want to play games like doom3 .far cry unreal2004 etc.
will i have to get a faster card ??

any comments appreciated.

DaveL

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2001

Well the GF3 is DX8 compliant. It cannot display DX9 features. It can
still play DX9 games but will not show all of the eye candy. I heard
somewhere that DOOM3 will play on a GF3 but only at lower resolutions and
lower visual settings.

Dave

"T" <t@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> Does the gladiac nvidia gforce 3 64mb support direct x 9b.?
> sytem is abit nf7-s 160 SATA hdd 512 DDR400 , athlon 2500+
> with nvidia 56.64 and 3.1 nforce drivers.+latest bios
> we want to play games like doom3 .far cry unreal2004 etc.
> will i have to get a faster card ??
>
> any comments appreciated.

teqguy

DaveL wrote:

> Well the GF3 is DX8 compliant. It cannot display DX9 features. It
> can still play DX9 games but will not show all of the eye candy. I
> heard somewhere that DOOM3 will play on a GF3 but only at lower
> resolutions and lower visual settings.
>
> Dave
>

> "T" <t@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> > Does the gladiac nvidia gforce 3 64mb support direct x 9b.?
> > sytem is abit nf7-s 160 SATA hdd 512 DDR400 , athlon 2500+
> > with nvidia 56.64 and 3.1 nforce drivers.+latest bios
> > we want to play games like doom3 .far cry unreal2004 etc.
> > will i have to get a faster card ??
> >
> > any comments appreciated.

ID and Carmack have designed the DoomIII engine to be backwards
compatible.

If you have Halo or Splinter Cell, the minimum system requirements are
similar.

So if you can play those games, you should be fine to play Doom III at
at least 800x600x32 with no AA or any graphical enhancements.

Here are the minimum system requirements for Doom III and Halflife 2:

Pentium III 1 Ghz or similar/ Pentium 4 1.6 or higher recommended

256MB SDRAM / 512MB or higher recommended

64MB video card

DirectX 8.0 Compatible Sound Card

8X CDROM speed

At least 6GB hard drive space required
Installation should accumulate to +3GB after update patches, mods, and
game data.

A faster processor and more memory will benefit you more than a video
card in the long run.

It's good to sacrifice good graphics for all around good performance.

If you get a fast graphics card and use it on an adequate processor,
you'll only be using that graphics card when playing games... but the
rest of the time your system will still be just as slow as it was.

I remember seeing 31 fps at 640x480x32 on my GF3 running the leaked Doom III
alpha, with a built-in timedemo. This, for a game still early in the
development cycle.

--
First of One
Formula SAE Racing:

First of One wrote:

> I remember seeing 31 fps at 640x480x32 on my GF3 running the leaked
> Doom III alpha, with a built-in timedemo. This, for a game still
> early in the development cycle.

31 fps can quickly decline to 9 fps in areas with a lot of action.

I've seen some of the demos with up to 15+ monsters viewable on screen
at once. Considering each monster was rendered using about double the
amount of polygons used to create Lara Croft in Angel of Darkness, id
is really going to have to find some spectacular caching and texture
optimizations.

They better find a way to milk the AGP bus and video memory dry,
because there's no way in hell any processor optimizations will carry
them through.

The leaked version of DIII featured an older version of the engine, but
was still pretty impressive... if it weren't for the terrible
performance.

The game is done, Carmack and id are still working on the engine.

The scary part is, DIII features a multiplayer mode... :: lag ::

Of course, in fact it was worse than that, though it seemed like stuttering
rather than genuine slowdowns. Anyway, it was quite an early build; the AI
didn't even get implemented. Monsters would stand motionless until attacked.

When Doom III actually gets released, I'm sure a 9800Pro (or equivalent
GFFX) will be fairly affordable (as if its $250 price tag isn't good enough
already).

--

> 31 fps can quickly decline to 9 fps in areas with a lot of action.

"T" <t@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> Does the gladiac nvidia gforce 3 64mb support direct x 9b.?
> sytem is abit nf7-s 160 SATA hdd 512 DDR400 , athlon 2500+
> with nvidia 56.64 and 3.1 nforce drivers.+latest bios
> we want to play games like doom3 .far cry unreal2004 etc.
> will i have to get a faster card ??
>
> any comments appreciated.

not sure about others but Farcry DEMO ran fine on my budget PC (Duron 1.3,
512Mb DDR, Geforce 3) @ 800x600 low details - still looked very purty
tho...... JonMaC

teqguy

First of One wrote:

> Of course, in fact it was worse than that, though it seemed like
> stuttering rather than genuine slowdowns. Anyway, it was quite an
> early build; the AI didn't even get implemented. Monsters would stand
> motionless until attacked.
>
> When Doom III actually gets released, I'm sure a 9800Pro (or
> equivalent GFFX) will be fairly affordable (as if its $250 price tag
> isn't good enough already).

We're nearing the release of the NV40 and R420. ID might decide to
wait until those cards are released.

But most likely you'll see top of the line video cards being bundled
with it.

TRENDING THREADS