Out of Gaming for a while...looking for upgrade advice

Hey folks,

Bought my current machine in late 2002 and due to work pressures have
neglected my gaming significantly over the past 12 months, and technology
has passed me by. I'm looking to do a few upgrades. Current vital specs:

P4 2.0 Northwood
ASUS P4S533/333/133 series Mobo, VIA chipset
256 MB RAM
Leadtek Ti4200 w/128DDR
60 GB HDD

This was a pretty decent system when I bought it but seems to have fallen
off the pace right now. I don't have the cash for a whole new system but
I'd like to see what upgrades I can get away with reasonably cheaply. I've
gotten a decent enough quote from my local hardware guys who are offering:

- P4 2.4 GHZ northwood. Although the fellow said the new processor
wouldn't run to full spec on my current Mobo. Not sure if this is true, I'm
innately distrustful of sales folk. (no offence, but I've had a few bad
experiences in the past!).
- another 256 MB RAM
- Asus V9560, Geforce FX5600XT video card, 128 megs onboard memory.

I really have no idea about the video card. I'm willing to pay a decent
amount for one. When I bought the current Ti4200 I had the choice between
that and a GF4 MX, but chose the Ti on the grounds that it'd get much better
performance. Is that FX5600XT the 'MX' of the current generation of cards?
Or is there an ATI card I'd be better off picking up?

Basically I want to get an upgrade but avoid too much bottleneck anywhere in
the system. He's also quoted me in case I want a whole new motherboard and
chip, but I'd be leery before doing that.

Any advice is very much appreciated. This group has saved my butt in the
past and I'm grateful for it.

Andrew Muir

yea you do have the cash you just dojt know it yet lol.
ok first you are ok for today games with you curent sys.
but for the new games comig out y9u want a new sys.
ok the cheap way is get a barton 2500+ and overclock it at 3200+ for $78
from new egg
but then you need a new board ok cheap one but a good one biostar m7ncd pro
$66
now you need ram i would get 2 sticks of 256 ddr 3200 for what $95 or so
now the big pick of the day go with a ati 9700/8900 or a nvidia 5800/5900
what eer fits in you pocket book for arund $200.
now you have a damn good game sys

FIGHT BACK AGAINST SPAM!
http://mail.giantcompany.com

"Andrew Muir" <lgpiett@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hey folks,
>
> Bought my current machine in late 2002 and due to work pressures have
> neglected my gaming significantly over the past 12 months, and technology
> has passed me by. I'm looking to do a few upgrades. Current vital specs:
>
> P4 2.0 Northwood
> ASUS P4S533/333/133 series Mobo, VIA chipset
> 256 MB RAM
> Leadtek Ti4200 w/128DDR
> 60 GB HDD
>
> This was a pretty decent system when I bought it but seems to have fallen
> off the pace right now. I don't have the cash for a whole new system but
> I'd like to see what upgrades I can get away with reasonably cheaply.
I've
> gotten a decent enough quote from my local hardware guys who are offering:
>
> - P4 2.4 GHZ northwood. Although the fellow said the new processor
> wouldn't run to full spec on my current Mobo. Not sure if this is true,
I'm
> innately distrustful of sales folk. (no offence, but I've had a few bad
> experiences in the past!).
> - another 256 MB RAM
> - Asus V9560, Geforce FX5600XT video card, 128 megs onboard memory.
>
> I really have no idea about the video card. I'm willing to pay a decent
> amount for one. When I bought the current Ti4200 I had the choice between
> that and a GF4 MX, but chose the Ti on the grounds that it'd get much
better
> performance. Is that FX5600XT the 'MX' of the current generation of
cards?
> Or is there an ATI card I'd be better off picking up?
>
> Basically I want to get an upgrade but avoid too much bottleneck anywhere
in
> the system. He's also quoted me in case I want a whole new motherboard
and
> chip, but I'd be leery before doing that.
>
> Any advice is very much appreciated. This group has saved my butt in the
> past and I'm grateful for it.
>
> Andrew Muir

> - P4 2.4 GHZ northwood. Although the fellow said the new processor
> wouldn't run to full spec on my current Mobo. Not sure if this is true,
I'm
> innately distrustful of sales folk. (no offence, but I've had a few bad
> experiences in the past!).

A 2.4 won't be much of an upgrade over your 2.0. 2.4 requires 800 FSB, which
your m/b doesn't support.

You could get the 3.06 with HT that runs at 533 FSB, that would at least
make you see a marked improvement on what you have.

> - another 256 MB RAM

A very good idea. However, if you upgrade your m/b to support a P4C (800
FSB), you'll probably won't get get faster RAM and put it in dual channel
mode (two identical sticks).

> - Asus V9560, Geforce FX5600XT video card, 128 megs onboard memory.

Don't get a 5600 anything, they are ass, at the VERY least get a 5700,
preferably a 5700 Ultra or 5900 XT.

sleepy

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2001

Your current setup could play Far Cry respectably except for the RAM which
is cheap enough. New games are using shaders much more and that requires a
fast graphics card - CPU is much less important.
Get another 512mb of memory not 256 and if your feeling flush look around
for a 9800pro - they've been significantly reduced and will give your system
a real boost.

"Andrew Muir" <lgpiett@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hey folks,
>
> Bought my current machine in late 2002 and due to work pressures have
> neglected my gaming significantly over the past 12 months, and technology
> has passed me by. I'm looking to do a few upgrades. Current vital specs:
>
> P4 2.0 Northwood
> ASUS P4S533/333/133 series Mobo, VIA chipset
> 256 MB RAM
> Leadtek Ti4200 w/128DDR
> 60 GB HDD
>
> This was a pretty decent system when I bought it but seems to have fallen
> off the pace right now. I don't have the cash for a whole new system but
> I'd like to see what upgrades I can get away with reasonably cheaply.
I've
> gotten a decent enough quote from my local hardware guys who are offering:
>
> - P4 2.4 GHZ northwood. Although the fellow said the new processor
> wouldn't run to full spec on my current Mobo. Not sure if this is true,
I'm
> innately distrustful of sales folk. (no offence, but I've had a few bad
> experiences in the past!).
> - another 256 MB RAM
> - Asus V9560, Geforce FX5600XT video card, 128 megs onboard memory.
>
> I really have no idea about the video card. I'm willing to pay a decent
> amount for one. When I bought the current Ti4200 I had the choice between
> that and a GF4 MX, but chose the Ti on the grounds that it'd get much
better
> performance. Is that FX5600XT the 'MX' of the current generation of
cards?
> Or is there an ATI card I'd be better off picking up?
>
> Basically I want to get an upgrade but avoid too much bottleneck anywhere
in
> the system. He's also quoted me in case I want a whole new motherboard
and
> chip, but I'd be leery before doing that.
>
> Any advice is very much appreciated. This group has saved my butt in the
> past and I'm grateful for it.
>
> Andrew Muir

> ok the cheap way is get a barton 2500+ and overclock it at 3200+ for $78
> from new egg

Dude, that will probably be SLOWER than the P4 2.0 he has now (non
overclocked).

I'm thinking he shouldn't upgrade for another year or so. A current kick ass
system would only be roughly 50-90% better than the one he has now. That's a
lot of bucks to spend for such a mild upgrade.

On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 15:35:27 +1000, "Darkfalz"
<darkfalz@microsoft.com> wrote:

>> ok the cheap way is get a barton 2500+ and overclock it at 3200+ for $78
>> from new egg
>
>Dude, that will probably be SLOWER than the P4 2.0 he has now (non
>overclocked).
>
>I'm thinking he shouldn't upgrade for another year or so. A current kick ass
>system would only be roughly 50-90% better than the one he has now. That's a
>lot of bucks to spend for such a mild upgrade.

SLOWER?!?!? where have you been? even at stock speeds the 2500+ would
kick the P4's butt. but an AMD64 setup would be a nice upgrade for a
little bit more money

"Darkfalz" <darkfalz@microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > - P4 2.4 GHZ northwood. Although the fellow said the new processor
> > wouldn't run to full spec on my current Mobo. Not sure if this is true,
> I'm
> > innately distrustful of sales folk. (no offence, but I've had a few bad
> > experiences in the past!).
>
> A 2.4 won't be much of an upgrade over your 2.0. 2.4 requires 800 FSB,
which
> your m/b doesn't support.

I didn't really think I would, sadly. I'm definitely going to get more RAM
no matter what I do. The only question is, given my funds, do I get a new
mobo+new chip or stick with the old mobo, slightly newer chip that doesn't
do much and the new card.

I'm kind of leaning toward the former, so I can get a 2.8 with 800 FSB on a
new motherboard and keep my Ti4200 for a few more months. Would the Ti4200
be a real drag on my system in that case? It still seems like a sturdy
enough videocard. I may even scout around for a cheap 4600.

> You could get the 3.06 with HT that runs at 533 FSB, that would at least
> make you see a marked improvement on what you have.

I'll take a look for one, ta.

Thanks for the advice.

Andrew Muir

"Andrew Muir" <lgpiett@hotmail.com> skrev i en meddelelse

> "Darkfalz" <darkfalz@microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > - P4 2.4 GHZ northwood. Although the fellow said the new processor
> > > wouldn't run to full spec on my current Mobo. Not sure if this is
true,
> > I'm
> > > innately distrustful of sales folk. (no offence, but I've had a few
bad
> > > experiences in the past!).
> >
> > A 2.4 won't be much of an upgrade over your 2.0. 2.4 requires 800 FSB,
> which
> > your m/b doesn't support.
>
> I didn't really think I would, sadly. I'm definitely going to get more
RAM
> no matter what I do. The only question is, given my funds, do I get a new
> mobo+new chip or stick with the old mobo, slightly newer chip that doesn't
> do much and the new card.
>
> I'm kind of leaning toward the former, so I can get a 2.8 with 800 FSB on
> new motherboard and keep my Ti4200 for a few more months. Would the
Ti4200
> be a real drag on my system in that case? It still seems like a sturdy
> enough videocard. I may even scout around for a cheap 4600.
>
> > You could get the 3.06 with HT that runs at 533 FSB, that would at least
> > make you see a marked improvement on what you have.
>
> I'll take a look for one, ta.
>
> Thanks for the advice.
>
> Andrew Muir

http://www.overclockers.com/tips1013/

I´d get some more ram, OC your CPU to 2.4-2.6ghz and your ram too. Find out
if your motherboard supports HT...otherwise a HT CPU would be a waste a
money.
In my oppinion your not far behind the 800FSB systems.
Then get a decent videocard depending on how much money you are willing to
spend. Today, I wouldn´t buy less than a FX5700 or ATI 9600(not SE) due to
the DX9 features.

G.

"Andrew Muir" <lgpiett@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hey folks,
>
> Bought my current machine in late 2002 and due to work pressures have
> neglected my gaming significantly over the past 12 months, and technology
> has passed me by. I'm looking to do a few upgrades. Current vital specs:
>
> P4 2.0 Northwood
> ASUS P4S533/333/133 series Mobo, VIA chipset

The board BIOS can be upgraded to support P4 2.8G.
Without the update it will support up to 2.5G.
Download the BIOS update from ASUS WEB site.

However there is no real need to replace the CPU

> 256 MB RAM

Add an extra 256MB.

> Leadtek Ti4200 w/128DDR

This card is not DX9 card, and might having trouble running new games, at
full power, however it is faster then many new FX series cards :-/

> 60 GB HDD

You can always add another HD if you run out of space. No need to have it
right now.

> This was a pretty decent system when I bought it but seems to have fallen
> off the pace right now. I don't have the cash for a whole new system but
> I'd like to see what upgrades I can get away with reasonably cheaply.
I've
> gotten a decent enough quote from my local hardware guys who are offering:
>
> - P4 2.4 GHZ northwood. Although the fellow said the new processor
> wouldn't run to full spec on my current Mobo. Not sure if this is true,
I'm
> innately distrustful of sales folk. (no offence, but I've had a few bad
> experiences in the past!).
> - another 256 MB RAM
> - Asus V9560, Geforce FX5600XT video card, 128 megs onboard memory.
>
> I really have no idea about the video card. I'm willing to pay a decent
> amount for one. When I bought the current Ti4200 I had the choice between
> that and a GF4 MX, but chose the Ti on the grounds that it'd get much
better
> performance. Is that FX5600XT the 'MX' of the current generation of
cards?
> Or is there an ATI card I'd be better off picking up?
>
> Basically I want to get an upgrade but avoid too much bottleneck anywhere
in
> the system. He's also quoted me in case I want a whole new motherboard
and
> chip, but I'd be leery before doing that.
>
> Any advice is very much appreciated. This group has saved my butt in the
> past and I'm grateful for it.
>
> Andrew Muir

On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 16:50:38 +1200, "Andrew Muir"
<lgpiett@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Hey folks,
>
>Bought my current machine in late 2002 and due to work pressures have
>neglected my gaming significantly over the past 12 months, and technology
>has passed me by. I'm looking to do a few upgrades. Current vital specs:
>
>P4 2.0 Northwood
>ASUS P4S533/333/133 series Mobo, VIA chipset
>256 MB RAM
>Leadtek Ti4200 w/128DDR
>60 GB HDD
>
>This was a pretty decent system when I bought it but seems to have fallen
>off the pace right now. I don't have the cash for a whole new system but
>I'd like to see what upgrades I can get away with reasonably cheaply. I've
>gotten a decent enough quote from my local hardware guys who are offering:
>
> - P4 2.4 GHZ northwood. Although the fellow said the new processor
>wouldn't run to full spec on my current Mobo. Not sure if this is true, I'm
>innately distrustful of sales folk. (no offence, but I've had a few bad
>experiences in the past!).
> - another 256 MB RAM
> - Asus V9560, Geforce FX5600XT video card, 128 megs onboard memory.
>
>I really have no idea about the video card. I'm willing to pay a decent
>amount for one. When I bought the current Ti4200 I had the choice between
>that and a GF4 MX, but chose the Ti on the grounds that it'd get much better
>performance. Is that FX5600XT the 'MX' of the current generation of cards?
>Or is there an ATI card I'd be better off picking up?
>
>Basically I want to get an upgrade but avoid too much bottleneck anywhere in
>the system. He's also quoted me in case I want a whole new motherboard and
>chip, but I'd be leery before doing that.
>
>Any advice is very much appreciated. This group has saved my butt in the
>past and I'm grateful for it.
>
>Andrew Muir

First off,, technology has not really past you by that much so don't
be in too much of a hurry to rush out and spend up large - Stop and
think first. Compromise between getting a worthwhile upgrade and not
going overboard and paying way too much...

Going from a P4 2.0 to a 2.4 Ghz CPU will gain you "Sweet Fanny Adams"
(not much at all).. Definitely get a new motherboard for many of the
higher speed CPU's and RAM around now but consider going up to around
the 3.0Ghz mark just to make the upgrade worthwhile and noticable. You
wont see much going to a 2.4Ghz..

PC3200 (200Mhz x2 = 400Mhz) RAM is next - get about 512 mbs minimum -
No real need to go to 1Gb as you wont notice much at all even with
Dual Data Channel enabled. It wouldn't hurt though, if you had some
spare cash, otherwise don't worry about the extra...

Now, video cards - You already have a GREAT video card in the Leadtek
Ti4200. I just moved up from one of those very cards and they are
simply a fantastic card,, so fantastic that you need to forget any
standard FX5600 because they wont keep up with that Ti4200 at all =>
No way...!!! If you feel the need to go to an FX card then go "at
least" to an FX5700 but I would recommend a 5900 to, once again,
really notice the upgrade... The FX5600 card is ok if you are coming
up from a lesser GeForce 2,, 3 or even a GeForce 4 MX card but not a
Ti4xxx card, as these still have a nasty reputation for beating the
pants off many of the FX cards around.. I found this out the hard way
and had to settle for a minimum of a Leadtek 360 FX5700 to actually
see any difference...

I think that, all said and done,, you will notice some increase from
you present PC specs if you update to a 3.0 Ghz as described above,
but don't expect the world of difference.. I too just completed an
upgrade similar to that... From an AMD XP2000+,, 512mb PC2100 RAM,,
Asus A7M266 m/b and Leadtek Ti4200 128mb - to an XP3000+,, 1Gb PC3200
RAM,, Gigabyte 7N400 m/b and a Leadtek FX5700,,, and it runs pretty
darned sweet right now but the older spec I upgraded from, still has a
bit of poke left in it. My brother now has the replaced bits in his PC
and comparing them side by side, they aren't too far apart... Of
course, things load up quite a bit faster and other apps run faster -
audio compression for example, but that's because of the extra grunt
of the CPU but when it comes to games and how seet they run, it boils
down to the video card, more or less, alone,, and without spending a
small wad of cash, you may not notice too much extra at all... Ti4200
cards are still widely respected as serious graphics capable, so pay
particular attention in this region if you are into games in a big
way..

On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 04:12:47 -0600, OverKlocker <nonya@biznez.net>
wrote:

>On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 15:35:27 +1000, "Darkfalz"
><darkfalz@microsoft.com> wrote:
>
>>> ok the cheap way is get a barton 2500+ and overclock it at 3200+ for $78
>>> from new egg
>>
>>Dude, that will probably be SLOWER than the P4 2.0 he has now (non
>>overclocked).
>>
>>I'm thinking he shouldn't upgrade for another year or so. A current kick ass
>>system would only be roughly 50-90% better than the one he has now. That's a
>>lot of bucks to spend for such a mild upgrade.
>>
>SLOWER?!?!? where have you been? even at stock speeds the 2500+ would
>kick the P4's butt. but an AMD64 setup would be a nice upgrade for a
>little bit more money

Got to agree with the statement directly above.. A P4 2.0 is no match
even for an XP2000. I have owned and/or used both and the P4 wont keep
up - believe me... I was shocked to see just how slow the P4 CPU's
between 1.5 and about 2.2 actually are.. Once you get up to the 2.6 or
2.8Ghz area with Pentiums, then it starts to swing in their favour but
before that - forget it...!!!

I was a Pentium man until a few years back and even though I now have
an XP3000,, I know they aren't quite as grunty all-round as a 3.0Ghz
Pentium but as for the price => Pentiums are right out of the picture
competely. I'll settle for that few percent slower all-round for a
huge price reduction...

I haven't seen the rest of the replies yet but I can see an argument
starting with this thread - Hehehehehe...!!!!!

>Nonsense.
>
>AMD is for people who can't afford the superior compatibility, stability and
>performance that Intel offers.

You couldn't be more wrong....
Based on your non-logic,, Intel Pentiums are for fools who don't care
about others taking their money from them with hugely over-priced
CPU's that do no more than add 1 plus 1,, just like any other CPU...

We all know that this is NOT necessarily true but then again, nor is
your statement...

The see-saw battle (or is it a game..???) between Intel and AMD will
swing from side to side, always,, with either side developing CPU's
sometimes better than the last one and/or with useles time wasting
enhancements simply to try to outdo the opposition and baffle the
potential mraket place (Us)... Looks like you have been "taken in" at
some point...