E-Machines Wireless Problem

Hello,
I've a M2352 that the wireless connect speed dropped to 1.0 Mbps from 11.0,
and it will not allow connection to the internet. Wireless signal strength
still good. Any thoughts on where to troubleshoot?
XP Home, Broadcom card.
Thanks,
Bill W

Bill Wolcott wrote:
> Hello,
> I've a M2352 that the wireless connect speed dropped to 1.0 Mbps from 11.0,
> and it will not allow connection to the internet. Wireless signal strength
> still good. Any thoughts on where to troubleshoot?
> XP Home, Broadcom card.
> Thanks,
> Bill W

Windows up to date on critical updates? Antivirus and firewall software
up to date and running in real time at all times? Have you scanned
the system for spyware (Spybot Search and Destroy and/or AdAware)?

Bill Wolcott wrote:
> Hello,
> I've a M2352 that the wireless connect speed dropped to 1.0 Mbps from
> 11.0, and it will not allow connection to the internet. Wireless
> signal strength still good. Any thoughts on where to troubleshoot?
> XP Home, Broadcom card.
> Thanks,
> Bill W

Always do the first troubleshooting step for connectivity problems:
remove power from your modem and the router for a minute, restart the
modem, and when it has booted, restart the router, restart the computer.
This often takes care of the problem.

Check the wireless router settings for the speed setting; it should be
1-5-11Mbps as default. Note that "good" and actual signal level can
have little relationship. I would open the connection so that you can
see the signal level bars, and move the laptop slowly to see if the
signal level can be increased. Rotate it, let it settle for 10-20
seconds. Keep all other wireless devices away from the computer and
router - telephones, cell phones both can interfere if close. Move the
modem away from the router also. You can also try rotating the router
if there are two antennas.

Thanks for the reply.
I've tried re-powering the router, no help there. My other laptops' wireless
connection continues to work with no problem, this leads me to believe the
problem lies within the e-machines laptop. It worked fine for the last three
months, then just quit.
Bill W

Bill Wolcott wrote:
> Thanks for the reply.
> I've tried re-powering the router, no help there. My other laptops'
> wireless connection continues to work with no problem, this leads me
> to believe the problem lies within the e-machines laptop. It worked
> fine for the last three months, then just quit.
> Bill W

>> Bill Wolcott wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>> I've a M2352 that the wireless connect speed dropped to 1.0 Mbps
>>> from 11.0, and it will not allow connection to the internet.
>>> Wireless
>>> signal strength still good. Any thoughts on where to troubleshoot?
>>> XP Home, Broadcom card.
>>> Thanks,
>>> Bill W
>>
>> Always do the first troubleshooting step for connectivity problems:
>> remove power from your modem and the router for a minute, restart
>> the modem, and when it has booted, restart the router, restart the
>> computer. This often takes care of the problem.
>>
>> Check the wireless router settings for the speed setting; it should
>> be 1-5-11Mbps as default. Note that "good" and actual signal level
>> can have little relationship. I would open the connection so that
>> you can see the signal level bars, and move the laptop slowly to see
>> if the signal level can be increased. Rotate it, let it settle for
>> 10-20 seconds. Keep all other wireless devices away from the
>> computer and router - telephones, cell phones both can interfere if
>> close. Move the modem away from the router also. You can also try
>> rotating the router if there are two antennas.

If you can access the mini-pci card, check that the antenna connections
are OK. Broadcast SSID - this is often the source of connection
problems and has few security implications.