Sign in with
Your question

Console Wars

Last response: in Video Games
December 1, 2003 3:35:59 PM

Well, I dislike the X-Box.
I have been a long time Hard News reader, I have noticed the large amount of GameCube biasing, (Ex. No Articles) I am here to give my opinions about the Consoles and what I think about them. You can like me, you can hate me; but I will not back down on my point:

Tom's Hardware Guide has never covered or given any praise to my $99 wonder machine.

Now I will go over each of the three consoles, with my reasoning. I will start with my least favorite.

X-Box (Microsoft) X-Box, Microsoft, need I say more? This brick of blackness will take your soul along with all your hard earned cash and raw power that it says it has. No one knows exactly how much power the black box has, THEY clock it at 733 MHZ, but I would guess around 575 MHZ... think Direct X and a small version of a Microsoft OS running at all times. I am not going into the Video Card... not as good as the Flipper, that is all that I am going to say.

Playstation 2 (Sony) This system is the low end of the rung, mostly because of the early launch date. Good system still, with a very good library of games and that is what keeps it going, along with all the popularity. I own one.

GameCube (Nintendo) My favorite by far, Nintendo has a great league of games released and games still to come. One other reason that I buy this system is the low cost of the system and the greatness of the games. The ATI flipper is the best thing that could ever happen, along with the great loading times. If you want to know my favorite games on this system, please ask I will post them later. I own one.

Well, I would like your opinions!

Fear what has been, not what is to come.

More about : console wars

December 1, 2003 3:48:40 PM

Quote:

X-Box (Microsoft) X-Box, Microsoft, need I say more? This brick of blackness will take your soul along with all your hard earned cash and raw power that it says it has. No one knows exactly how much power the black box has, THEY clock it at 733 MHZ, but I would guess around 575 MHZ... think Direct X and a small version of a Microsoft OS running at all times. I am not going into the Video Card... not as good as the Flipper, that is all that I am going to say.

it has 733mhz, If you doubt that, load linux on it(like some here have) and it will tell you. and they have an ati contract for the xbox2 when it comes out in '06. BTW you said nothing of the games for this only dogged its hardware.

<A HREF="http://www.cameronwilliamson.com" target="_new">-={Apostalic Alcoholic.}=-</A>
December 1, 2003 4:00:14 PM

[R]it has 733mhz, If you doubt that, load linux on it(like some here have) and it will tell you. and they have an ati contract for the xbox2 when it comes out in '06. BTW you said nothing of the games for this only dogged its hardware. [/R]

It has 733 MHZ of raw power yes... but Direct X and the OS bogs it down... and no, ATI did not sign a contract with microsoft for the X-Box 2, they signed one with Nintendo. Nvida signed one with Microsoft.

My games that I like:

X-Box: Halo (Also for PC) Morrowind (Also for PC) NR: Experimental Fantasy... (Mabey)

PS2: FF10, FF10-2, all other square games, MGS, other good games.

GameCube: Metroid, Zelda, Mario, Super Smash Bros.many others that i do not have time for.

Fear what has been, not what is to come.
Related resources
December 1, 2003 4:38:38 PM

Quote:

Nvida signed one with Microsoft

<A HREF="http://nextbox.ccfx.net/specs.php" target="_new">research</A>
is a good thing man.
<A HREF="http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/mmedia/display/20031003043..." target="_new">another link confirming ati contract</A>

nvidia lost their contract with microsoft.

Quote:

It has 733 MHZ of raw power yes... but Direct X and the OS bogs it down

now youe just stating things that happen to everysystem. You dont think that ps2 and gamecube have stuff that bogs down their processor??? hmm? a lil niave i believe.

Not that i am a strong supporter of xbox or anything butjust stating the facts.

i own all three consoles now just got my GC three days ago.
its ok i like metroid on it.

as for xbox,
I like alot of their games actually;
and ps2 is still hanging in there with the competition even with its <A HREF="http://www.vasu2000.com/ps2/psx2info.htm" target="_new">295mhz</A> processor and have alot of good games.

<A HREF="http://www.cameronwilliamson.com" target="_new">-={Apostalic Alcoholic.}=-</A>
December 1, 2003 5:12:30 PM

I have to say I'm quite partial to the GameCube. It's cheap price and loads of just plaining fun games to play make it by far the best console availible PLUS it has monkey ball......I LOVE monkey ball. I would love to like the PS2 but they killed the final fantasy series with 10.......but I did get addicted to jak and daxter for a few days.....so like you said it makes up for it's lack of good graphics (not that their bad, just not on the same level as the GC and Xbox) with good games. And what can i say about the Xbox.......Well it has horrible controlers, and the only game i liked for it so far (soul caliber 2) is also on the game cube and PS2.
December 1, 2003 5:16:10 PM

i find the xbox controllers are quite comfortable.
gamecube controllers are alright i dont really like the little nipple joystick thing but they are ok;
and ps2 just has the old skool controller which evreyone is used to.

monkeyball is a good game and quite addictive.

how could you not like halo?

December 1, 2003 5:31:41 PM

Well, I do have research...
But that really isn't important at the moment. There are a whole bunch of good games comming out for the GameCube...
Final Fantasy, Metal Gear Solid (Drool) and many others... not to mention all of the other games comming out on the next Gen Nintendo.

One thing that makes me grin though... is the losses the X-Box has caused Microsoft. I could pull some figures but I am supposed to be working... hehe. Mabey later this evening.

Fear what has been, not what is to come.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Shadar on 12/01/03 02:33 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
December 1, 2003 5:40:05 PM

Quote:

not to mention all of the other games comming out on the next Gen Nintendo

again thats with every system.

yeah the xbox has had plenty of losses in its corner. You are right about that.

oh and sorry if i sounded a lil harsh man my bad. i was just saying they did get the contract.

December 1, 2003 10:00:49 PM

I personally own a PS2 and GC
I like PS2 better because of the amout of game titles out there.
especially those RPGs for PS2.
For GC, to tell the truth, the only reason i bought it was just for
the Biohazard series(AKA Resident Evil), after playing the remake
of the first Biohazard, I can't stand the graphic of silent hill
anymore. The graphic is just not compairable between PS2 and GC.
for XBox, its all about the hardware. for about the same price
as PS2/GC. Its defenetly have the greatest price ratio.
the high speed CPU, powerful graphic. and you get the "extra grande" console,
with a fat controller. Sure is the best value.
though the only game i ever going to play on a Xbox would be DOA beech volleyball.
Other game you can just simpally play on other plateforms. Halo is nice...
But original UT is better. Multiplayer online sports game can be done on PC too.
So Xbox is the last console I would consider to puchase

Trix are <font color=red>NOT JUST</font color=red> for kids
December 1, 2003 11:00:43 PM

i cant see myself playin a sports game on a PC personnally but thats my opinion

December 2, 2003 5:40:08 AM

*yawn*

Never heard this debate before...

Here's an idea: Pick a system based on the software library, not the clock speed.

I can think of several great games for each one of those systems, although the PS2 has overall the best library.

When it comes down to it, consoles are pretty cheap. Just get all three so you don't miss out on any good games.

<b>1.4 Ghz AMD T-Bird underclocked to 1 Ghz...just to be safe!</b>
December 2, 2003 10:08:24 AM

I hate playing fps on the console.....and halo was no differant. Plus they completely killed the game when they scrapped it for the mac, and made it solely for the xbox. The single playergame at times gets way too tedious, and you feel like your just repeating the same thing over and over. The perfect example of this was the level with the flood where you had to get the index for the library. That level just pissed me off. I WAS excited about the game when i first heard about it, andit was going to be coming out for mac, and then microsoft made them bring it out solely for the xbox, and then when they finally did brinf it to pc they made one of the worst ports i have ever seen. It only runs well on top of the line systems. And the thing that made it so great on the xbox (multiplayer) they killed hard core with it's TERRIBLE netcode.......so yeah....can't say i'm a big fan of halo.
December 2, 2003 6:51:24 PM

Quote:
Well, I do have research...
But that really isn't important at the moment. There are a whole bunch of good games comming out for the GameCube...

Interesting. You thought it was important until you were proven wrong. :smile:

I chose Gamecube for one reason: Zelda. I have a few other games (really enjoy Metroid: Prime), but anticipating a new Zelda game is what made me buy a GC.

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>
December 2, 2003 8:42:01 PM

cool to each his own right, and the multiplayer is a bad thing on xbox have you tried it yet???

December 2, 2003 11:27:37 PM

nonono, i was saying it IS a good thing on the xbox, and that's it's too bad they killed it on the pc...
December 6, 2003 1:47:31 AM

Ugh ugh *fanboy* ugh

My own beast: Athlon 2700xp+ (oc: 3200xp+ with 200fsb) , Radeon 9800pro (oc: 410/370) , 512mb ddr400. SO MUCH faster than my last computer (pIII 550......)
December 6, 2003 9:51:41 AM

And how the bloody hell did you come to that conclusion?

<font color=blue>"If you want the rainbow, you’ve gotta put up with the rain. Do you know which philosopher said that? Dolly Parton. And people say she’s just a big pair of tits.” - David Brent</font color=blue>
December 8, 2003 6:41:25 AM

Yeah, that's some twsied vision for him to jump to that conclusion.

<font color=blue>"If you want the rainbow, you’ve gotta put up with the rain. Do you know which philosopher said that? Dolly Parton. And people say she’s just a big pair of tits.” - David Brent</font color=blue>
December 8, 2003 9:46:59 AM

i guess i didnt dog it enough so im a fanboi.

so here goes..(lol)

Yes I have an xbox and i like it but here are a few things that i dislike about it.

It has all that power(compared to the rest) and doesnt adequately maske use of it, although in some games they are starting to utilize the graphics better.

the games arent as good as the games on ps2, the ones that are pretty good, most of them are on other consoles as well.

xbox live isnt really into its big swiong as most people would hope yet thats cuz they havent really made a copius of games that are compatible with it.

and finally it isnt a pc, and i prefer to play games on the pc.

December 8, 2003 11:21:58 AM

Nah, I ain't having it. *cough* fanboy *cough* :wink:

!