Gateway laptops at Best Buy

Best Buy has several Gateway laptops (the 4520.4530,4535) but when searching
the Gateway web site, none of these are found. Why is that? Anyone with
these laptops...how are they?

Thanks
Bob
8 answers Last reply
More about gateway laptops

    Bob wrote:

    > Best Buy has several Gateway laptops (the 4520.4530,4535) but when
    > searching the Gateway web site, none of these are found. Why is that?

    It is routine for manufacturers of all kinds of products--computers,
    TVs, mattresses, whatever--to make certain models exclusively for
    specific sales outlets, even specific stores. No doubt the models you
    see in Best Buy are in a line that are being made just for retail or
    just for Best Buy, which is why they wouldn't show up on the website.
    (This is why so many stores that claim to match their competitors'
    prices never actually do so; when a customer tries to hold them to it,
    they require that the competitors' prices be on the exact same model
    number, which is impossible because they are the only stores which
    carry those models.)

    The M320 series on Gateways website is basically the same unit that is in
    Best Buy (the Celeron M/Pentium M models anyway). It has the same chassis,
    but is a different color scheme, silver/black rather than just black.

    "David Samuel Barr" <dsbarr@mindspring.com> wrote in message
    > Bob wrote:
    >>
    >> Best Buy has several Gateway laptops (the 4520.4530,4535) but when
    >> searching the Gateway web site, none of these are found. Why is that?
    >
    > It is routine for manufacturers of all kinds of products--computers,
    > TVs, mattresses, whatever--to make certain models exclusively for
    > specific sales outlets, even specific stores. No doubt the models you
    > see in Best Buy are in a line that are being made just for retail or
    > just for Best Buy, which is why they wouldn't show up on the website.
    > (This is why so many stores that claim to match their competitors'
    > prices never actually do so; when a customer tries to hold them to it,
    > they require that the competitors' prices be on the exact same model
    > number, which is impossible because they are the only stores which
    > carry those models.)

    Gateway has been selling some ODM products originally ordered with
    eMachines badges and design features as Gateways lately. The Athlon
    notebooks are pure eMachines, not Gateways(sic). Needless to say
    nothing interchanges.

    The desktops sold at Infest Buy and MicroCenter are the same deal.
    Guarantee the first time you need parts, the old standby third party
    GW vendors are going to be SOL.

    Of course they are defecating all over the brand-but they've been
    doing that since Weitzen came in.

    Likely for the same reason that Best Buy, Circuit City and others sell
    mostly identical models of many things with different model numbers -
    and for the same reason you find the same mattress for sale at multiple
    vendors with different model names -it makes it just about impossible to
    hold the retailer accountable for pricing (or competition-shop).

    Bob wrote:
    > Best Buy has several Gateway laptops (the 4520.4530,4535) but when searching
    > the Gateway web site, none of these are found. Why is that? Anyone with
    > these laptops...how are they?
    >

    > Thanks
    > Bob

    Before you buy--check ALL details with Best Buy. I purchased a desktop from
    them and what I found out:
    By the way I had called Gateway to inquire about price differences before I
    purchased. The response was the prices would be the same no matter where it
    was purchased. The only thing the salesperson said was that I couldn't
    configure it if I purchased in the store. The IMPRESSION I got was the
    retail outlet was basically the same as the Country store. She didn't say
    that exactly but said they closed the Country Stores because they bought
    Emachines and they were marketed in retail stores, so they just moved the
    Gateways to the stores.
    First of all, the tech support number is NOT toll free. It is a separate
    number for retail sales. They will not help you at the toll free number.
    (At the time they couldn't because they had no info on the system)
    You get no packing slip as such so no info on what is in your system, unless
    you call them at tech support. Basic only..what is printed on the box is
    what info you have. This is a problem for me as I usually update drivers
    etc. and no part numbers available.
    The serial numbers are different..start with letters rather than numbers, so
    Gateway online didn't recognize to get specs that way. (MIGHT be different
    now)
    Instructions in the box said to register at Gateway.com, but the system
    wasn't there. It is now however.
    I spent HOURS on the phone to tech, customer support, emachine(was referred
    there), long distance tech support etc.
    And the worst for me was the only restore option was a restore image that
    ONLY allowed returning the system to the factory config. No option to
    reinstall windows only and leave off the other trials etc you don't want.
    I called Gateway direct and was assured I would get the oem os disk if I
    ordered direct from Gateway. The system is supposed to be here the end of
    the week. Will let you know.
    I returned the one to Best Buy. I liked the machine, but not all the other
    details.
    I know this is long, but in my opinion, it was rather deceptive.
    Pam

    "Bob" <bobdawn1@verizon.net> wrote in message
    > Best Buy has several Gateway laptops (the 4520.4530,4535) but when
    > searching
    > the Gateway web site, none of these are found. Why is that? Anyone with
    > these laptops...how are they?
    >

    > Thanks
    > Bob

  6. im tyler a kid and im goinng to best buy to get a laptop my dad is going to :)
  7. Bob said:

    Best Buy has several Gateway laptops (the 4520.4530,4535) but when searching
    the Gateway web site, none of these are found. Why is that? Anyone with
    these laptops...how are they?

    Thanks
    Bob

    ok tom so im 9 thaks /tyler
  8. In the industry, it is known as "Private Label" - same product different label for different retailers.

Gateway Laptops Computers