TV Out. NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440. Black & White (again!) Ful..

Hi

Unfortunately when attempting to use my graphics cards TV-Out I only
receive a black and white image on my TV, yes its that old chestnut
again!
I've trawled Google and Usenet and tried every solution I've come
across, to no avail! Here's my specs:

TV
==
Sharp 51FS-51H
Pal 50/60 Hz Capability
21pin Audio/Video Connector (A/V-1) with S-Video Input
21pin Euro SCART Connector (RGB)

Graphics Card
=============
NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440
5.3.0.3

Cable
=====
Thor S-Video to Scart (directional from S-Video only)
http://www.maplin.co.uk/products/module.asp?CartID=040402221721432&moduleno=32060

The cable goes from my video card into my 21pin Audio/Video Connector
(A/V-1) with S-Video Input
Is XP Pro SP1.

In 'nView Display Mode' I have tried both Composite Video-Out and
S-Video-Out with Pal as the signal format.
If I switch to any of the NTSC options I still get a b & w picture, in
fact no matter what I do I always get an
image on the tv, it's just thats its always in b & W!

I've also tried TVTool 9.
Booting the PC with only the TV connected also results in b&w during
boot and beyond.

I'm certain at one point in the distance past I've had this working
using the same setup, just can't seem to do it this time...

Dave Wilding

Try using the 45.23 driver for stability with that older card.

--
DaveW

"David Wilding" <dave@davewilding.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> Unfortunately when attempting to use my graphics cards TV-Out I only
> receive a black and white image on my TV, yes its that old chestnut
> again!
> I've trawled Google and Usenet and tried every solution I've come
> across, to no avail! Here's my specs:
>
> TV
> ==
> Sharp 51FS-51H
> Pal 50/60 Hz Capability
> 21pin Audio/Video Connector (A/V-1) with S-Video Input
> 21pin Euro SCART Connector (RGB)
>
> Graphics Card
> =============
> NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440
> 5.3.0.3
>
> Cable
> =====
> Thor S-Video to Scart (directional from S-Video only)

http://www.maplin.co.uk/products/module.asp?CartID=040402221721432&moduleno=32060

> The cable goes from my video card into my 21pin Audio/Video Connector
> (A/V-1) with S-Video Input
> Is XP Pro SP1.
>
> In 'nView Display Mode' I have tried both Composite Video-Out and
> S-Video-Out with Pal as the signal format.
> If I switch to any of the NTSC options I still get a b & w picture, in
> fact no matter what I do I always get an
> image on the tv, it's just thats its always in b & W!
>
> I've also tried TVTool 9.
> Booting the PC with only the TV connected also results in b&w during
> boot and beyond.
>
> I'm certain at one point in the distance past I've had this working
> using the same setup, just can't seem to do it this time...

> Dave Wilding

David Wilding <dave@davewilding.co.uk> wrote:
> Unfortunately when attempting to use my graphics cards TV-Out I only
> receive a black and white image on my TV, yes its that old chestnut
> again!
> I've trawled Google and Usenet and tried every solution I've come
> across, to no avail! Here's my specs:

Does your TV out socket have 4, 7 or 9 pins? Did your card with a cable (eg.
my LeadTek A250 came with a cable to convert the VIVO connector to SVideo
and Composite connectors in and out).

This might sound stupid, but have you checked the cable is OK, and that
there isn't a pin bent at one end? It's possible that the part of the signal
is not reaching the TV. The SVideo signal is sent down 2 wires, composite
uses one. Normally if the signal is sent as composite then the SVideo signal
has only the luminance signal, resulting in a black and white SVideo output.
It's possible that you're only getting the luminance signal, so the
chrominance wire is broken or a pin at one/both ends is bent/missing. In
composite mode the card is still sending the SVideo luminance signal, so
your TV is only getting that again due to the composite signal being missed.

Also, most TVs tend to have AV1 as RGB, and AV2 as S-Video, and AV2 has to
be switched from Composite mode to SVideo mode manually. Have you tried
swapping the cable between the SCARTs? Have you cycled through the AV modes
on the TV using the remote?

Dan