Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Old mobo and modern videocard

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
Anonymous
April 4, 2004 3:29:11 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

I am using Abit be6-2 mobo where is agp videocard slot, supports AGP 1X/2X
(Sideband)3.3V device. Can I use modern fast videocards with this mobo? What
is the best card for this mobo?

More about : mobo modern videocard

Anonymous
April 4, 2004 4:51:26 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

No you can't. All new cards today use AGP 4x/8x. Using them in a 1x/2x
slot could damage the card or the motherboard. Even if it did, your
motherboard is too old to even use the card to its fullest potential.

Darren

"jarmo korpi" <jarmokorpiremovethis@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:406fc779$1_2@news.dnainternet.net...
> I am using Abit be6-2 mobo where is agp videocard slot, supports AGP 1X/2X
> (Sideband)3.3V device. Can I use modern fast videocards with this mobo?
What
> is the best card for this mobo?
>
>
Anonymous
April 4, 2004 10:22:03 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

Bull! Using a really old card in a new mobo may lead to damage. The reverse
is not true.

Don't place too much faith on AGP. Even at 8x it's still supplies only a
fraction of the card's local memory bandwidth. Any game that actually needs
AGP is gonna slow to a crawl, regardless of whether the slot transfers at 2x
or 8x.

The CPU is another thing. The fastest thing you can run on the venerable
440BX is a 1 GHz Pentium III with a slocket adapter. This CPU will be a
bottleneck for the latest cards. Something older like a GF4 Ti4200, however,
will do nicely. The card should also tolerate 87 MHz AGP bus should you
decide to overclock.

--
First of One
Formula SAE Racing:
http://fsae.utoronto.ca/


"DarrenB03" <Unknown> wrote in message
news:wYSdndgeT5qNoO3dRVn-sA@comcast.com...
> No you can't. All new cards today use AGP 4x/8x. Using them in a 1x/2x
> slot could damage the card or the motherboard. Even if it did, your
> motherboard is too old to even use the card to its fullest potential.
>
> Darren
Related resources
April 5, 2004 1:39:35 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

Good reply. I just have to add that I'm running a 1.4 ghz Tualatin Celeron
with 256k cache on a BX chipset board (Abit BH-6).

Dave


"First of One" <daxinfx@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:fnYbc.25955$RfJ.14731@twister01.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com...
> Bull! Using a really old card in a new mobo may lead to damage. The
reverse
> is not true.
>
> Don't place too much faith on AGP. Even at 8x it's still supplies only a
> fraction of the card's local memory bandwidth. Any game that actually
needs
> AGP is gonna slow to a crawl, regardless of whether the slot transfers at
2x
> or 8x.
>
> The CPU is another thing. The fastest thing you can run on the venerable
> 440BX is a 1 GHz Pentium III with a slocket adapter. This CPU will be a
> bottleneck for the latest cards. Something older like a GF4 Ti4200,
however,
> will do nicely. The card should also tolerate 87 MHz AGP bus should you
> decide to overclock.
>
> --
> First of One
> Formula SAE Racing:
> http://fsae.utoronto.ca/
>
>
> "DarrenB03" <Unknown> wrote in message
> news:wYSdndgeT5qNoO3dRVn-sA@comcast.com...
> > No you can't. All new cards today use AGP 4x/8x. Using them in a 1x/2x
> > slot could damage the card or the motherboard. Even if it did, your
> > motherboard is too old to even use the card to its fullest potential.
> >
> > Darren
>
>
Anonymous
April 6, 2004 12:07:54 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

lol,
i've got a 1.2 ghz tualatin @ 1.5ghz with a fx5900 512 ram




"DaveL" <dave1027@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:yaqdneauruLUFuzdRVn-hw@comcast.com...
> Good reply. I just have to add that I'm running a 1.4 ghz Tualatin
Celeron
> with 256k cache on a BX chipset board (Abit BH-6).
>
> Dave
>
>
> "First of One" <daxinfx@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:fnYbc.25955$RfJ.14731@twister01.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com...
> > Bull! Using a really old card in a new mobo may lead to damage. The
> reverse
> > is not true.
> >
> > Don't place too much faith on AGP. Even at 8x it's still supplies only a
> > fraction of the card's local memory bandwidth. Any game that actually
> needs
> > AGP is gonna slow to a crawl, regardless of whether the slot transfers
at
> 2x
> > or 8x.
> >
> > The CPU is another thing. The fastest thing you can run on the venerable
> > 440BX is a 1 GHz Pentium III with a slocket adapter. This CPU will be a
> > bottleneck for the latest cards. Something older like a GF4 Ti4200,
> however,
> > will do nicely. The card should also tolerate 87 MHz AGP bus should you
> > decide to overclock.
> >
> > --
> > First of One
> > Formula SAE Racing:
> > http://fsae.utoronto.ca/
> >
> >
> > "DarrenB03" <Unknown> wrote in message
> > news:wYSdndgeT5qNoO3dRVn-sA@comcast.com...
> > > No you can't. All new cards today use AGP 4x/8x. Using them in a
1x/2x
> > > slot could damage the card or the motherboard. Even if it did, your
> > > motherboard is too old to even use the card to its fullest potential.
> > >
> > > Darren
> >
> >
>
Anonymous
April 6, 2004 12:13:31 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

bx133
Anonymous
April 6, 2004 2:16:31 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

> Good reply. I just have to add that I'm running a 1.4 ghz Tualatin
Celeron
> with 256k cache on a BX chipset board (Abit BH-6).

Ah, the BH-6. That's one of the best motherboards ever made.
Anonymous
April 6, 2004 4:01:27 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

doorman <no spam> wrote:

> lol,
> i've got a 1.2 ghz tualatin @ 1.5ghz with a fx5900 512 ram

I have a 1.3Ghz Tualatin with a GF3 Ti500, runs ok.

--
Regards, Bob
Anonymous
April 9, 2004 8:37:14 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

Later BX boards like the BH-6 supports the lower core and I/O (I think)
voltages required by the Tualatin. The first-generation BE-6, owned by the
original poster of this thread, does not, unfortunately.

I used to own an Asus P3V4x, with the VIA Apollo Pro133A chipset. I also had
a Slot-1 133-FSB Coppermine, quite a relic.

--
First of One
Formula SAE Racing:
http://fsae.utoronto.ca/


"DaveL" <dave1027@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:yaqdneauruLUFuzdRVn-hw@comcast.com...
> Good reply. I just have to add that I'm running a 1.4 ghz Tualatin
Celeron
> with 256k cache on a BX chipset board (Abit BH-6).
>
> Dave
Anonymous
April 9, 2004 8:37:31 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

Damn, your FSB is running at 166?

--
First of One
Formula SAE Racing:
http://fsae.utoronto.ca/


"doorman" <no spam> wrote in message
news:1073t9l3nm1j7c0@corp.supernews.com...
> lol,
> i've got a 1.2 ghz tualatin @ 1.5ghz with a fx5900 512 ram
April 9, 2004 8:37:32 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

Looks like 125 mhz to me.

DaveL


"First of One" <daxinfx@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:fjAdc.52223$Bk31.43111@twister01.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com...
> Damn, your FSB is running at 166?
>
> --
> First of One
> Formula SAE Racing:
> http://fsae.utoronto.ca/
>
>
> "doorman" <no spam> wrote in message
> news:1073t9l3nm1j7c0@corp.supernews.com...
> > lol,
> > i've got a 1.2 ghz tualatin @ 1.5ghz with a fx5900 512 ram
>
>
Anonymous
April 16, 2004 3:21:04 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

On Sun, 4 Apr 2004 11:29:11 +0300, "jarmo korpi"
<jarmokorpiremovethis@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I am using Abit be6-2 mobo where is agp videocard slot, supports AGP 1X/2X
>(Sideband)3.3V device. Can I use modern fast videocards with this mobo? What
>is the best card for this mobo?

many of todays video cards will work on your old BX class mobo (Ive
sold mine years ago - they are still working today).

But it is an old board and adding a modern video card will be a waste
as the mobo, AGP, memory, and CPU are all SLOW by modern standards.

A GF3 is NOT maxed out by your BX board... Adding a $200 fx5900 would
add little performance increase.

Spend about $150~200 on an AMD 2500+ CPU ($90) with a VIA KT400 board
($60 - ASUS or MSI) and $40~100 for RAM (256~512mb)... the add your
video card.

A $100 video card on that NEW setup would do more than a $400 card on
the older setup.


--
Remember when real men used Real computers!?
When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!
!