Old mobo and modern videocard

I am using Abit be6-2 mobo where is agp videocard slot, supports AGP 1X/2X
(Sideband)3.3V device. Can I use modern fast videocards with this mobo? What
is the best card for this mobo?
11 answers Last reply
More about mobo modern videocard

    No you can't. All new cards today use AGP 4x/8x. Using them in a 1x/2x
    slot could damage the card or the motherboard. Even if it did, your
    motherboard is too old to even use the card to its fullest potential.

    Darren

    "jarmo korpi" <jarmokorpiremovethis@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I am using Abit be6-2 mobo where is agp videocard slot, supports AGP 1X/2X
    > (Sideband)3.3V device. Can I use modern fast videocards with this mobo?
    What
    > is the best card for this mobo?

    Bull! Using a really old card in a new mobo may lead to damage. The reverse
    is not true.

    Don't place too much faith on AGP. Even at 8x it's still supplies only a
    fraction of the card's local memory bandwidth. Any game that actually needs
    AGP is gonna slow to a crawl, regardless of whether the slot transfers at 2x
    or 8x.

    The CPU is another thing. The fastest thing you can run on the venerable
    440BX is a 1 GHz Pentium III with a slocket adapter. This CPU will be a
    bottleneck for the latest cards. Something older like a GF4 Ti4200, however,
    will do nicely. The card should also tolerate 87 MHz AGP bus should you
    decide to overclock.

    --
    First of One
    Formula SAE Racing:

    "DarrenB03" <Unknown> wrote in message
    > No you can't. All new cards today use AGP 4x/8x. Using them in a 1x/2x
    > slot could damage the card or the motherboard. Even if it did, your
    > motherboard is too old to even use the card to its fullest potential.
    >
    > Darren

    Good reply. I just have to add that I'm running a 1.4 ghz Tualatin Celeron
    with 256k cache on a BX chipset board (Abit BH-6).

    Dave

    > Bull! Using a really old card in a new mobo may lead to damage. The
    reverse
    > is not true.
    >
    > Don't place too much faith on AGP. Even at 8x it's still supplies only a
    > fraction of the card's local memory bandwidth. Any game that actually
    needs
    > AGP is gonna slow to a crawl, regardless of whether the slot transfers at
    2x
    > or 8x.
    >
    > The CPU is another thing. The fastest thing you can run on the venerable
    > 440BX is a 1 GHz Pentium III with a slocket adapter. This CPU will be a
    > bottleneck for the latest cards. Something older like a GF4 Ti4200,
    however,
    > will do nicely. The card should also tolerate 87 MHz AGP bus should you
    > decide to overclock.
    >
    > --
    > First of One
    > Formula SAE Racing:
    > http://fsae.utoronto.ca/
    >

    > "DarrenB03" <Unknown> wrote in message
    > > No you can't. All new cards today use AGP 4x/8x. Using them in a 1x/2x
    > > slot could damage the card or the motherboard. Even if it did, your
    > > motherboard is too old to even use the card to its fullest potential.
    > >
    > > Darren

    lol,
    i've got a 1.2 ghz tualatin @ 1.5ghz with a fx5900 512 ram

    "DaveL" <dave1027@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > Good reply. I just have to add that I'm running a 1.4 ghz Tualatin
    Celeron
    > with 256k cache on a BX chipset board (Abit BH-6).
    >
    > Dave
    >

    > "First of One" <daxinfx@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > Bull! Using a really old card in a new mobo may lead to damage. The
    > reverse
    > > is not true.
    > >
    > > Don't place too much faith on AGP. Even at 8x it's still supplies only a
    > > fraction of the card's local memory bandwidth. Any game that actually
    > needs
    > > AGP is gonna slow to a crawl, regardless of whether the slot transfers
    at
    > 2x
    > > or 8x.
    > >
    > > The CPU is another thing. The fastest thing you can run on the venerable
    > > 440BX is a 1 GHz Pentium III with a slocket adapter. This CPU will be a
    > > bottleneck for the latest cards. Something older like a GF4 Ti4200,
    > however,
    > > will do nicely. The card should also tolerate 87 MHz AGP bus should you
    > > decide to overclock.
    > >
    > > --
    > > First of One
    > > Formula SAE Racing:
    > > http://fsae.utoronto.ca/
    > >

    > > "DarrenB03" <Unknown> wrote in message
    > > > No you can't. All new cards today use AGP 4x/8x. Using them in a
    1x/2x
    > > > slot could damage the card or the motherboard. Even if it did, your
    > > > motherboard is too old to even use the card to its fullest potential.
    > > >
    > > > Darren

    bx133

    > Good reply. I just have to add that I'm running a 1.4 ghz Tualatin
    Celeron
    > with 256k cache on a BX chipset board (Abit BH-6).

    Ah, the BH-6. That's one of the best motherboards ever made.

    doorman <no spam> wrote:

    > lol,
    > i've got a 1.2 ghz tualatin @ 1.5ghz with a fx5900 512 ram

    I have a 1.3Ghz Tualatin with a GF3 Ti500, runs ok.

    --
    Regards, Bob

    Later BX boards like the BH-6 supports the lower core and I/O (I think)
    voltages required by the Tualatin. The first-generation BE-6, owned by the
    original poster of this thread, does not, unfortunately.

    I used to own an Asus P3V4x, with the VIA Apollo Pro133A chipset. I also had
    a Slot-1 133-FSB Coppermine, quite a relic.

    --
    First of One
    Formula SAE Racing:

    "DaveL" <dave1027@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > Good reply. I just have to add that I'm running a 1.4 ghz Tualatin
    Celeron
    > with 256k cache on a BX chipset board (Abit BH-6).
    >
    > Dave

    Damn, your FSB is running at 166?

    --
    First of One
    Formula SAE Racing:

    "doorman" <no spam> wrote in message
    > lol,
    > i've got a 1.2 ghz tualatin @ 1.5ghz with a fx5900 512 ram

    Looks like 125 mhz to me.

    DaveL

    > Damn, your FSB is running at 166?
    >
    > --
    > First of One
    > Formula SAE Racing:
    > http://fsae.utoronto.ca/
    >

    > "doorman" <no spam> wrote in message
    > > lol,
    > > i've got a 1.2 ghz tualatin @ 1.5ghz with a fx5900 512 ram

    On Sun, 4 Apr 2004 11:29:11 +0300, "jarmo korpi"
    <jarmokorpiremovethis@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >I am using Abit be6-2 mobo where is agp videocard slot, supports AGP 1X/2X
    >(Sideband)3.3V device. Can I use modern fast videocards with this mobo? What
    >is the best card for this mobo?

    many of todays video cards will work on your old BX class mobo (Ive
    sold mine years ago - they are still working today).

    But it is an old board and adding a modern video card will be a waste
    as the mobo, AGP, memory, and CPU are all SLOW by modern standards.

    A GF3 is NOT maxed out by your BX board... Adding a $200 fx5900 would
    add little performance increase.

    Spend about $150~200 on an AMD 2500+ CPU ($90) with a VIA KT400 board
    ($60 - ASUS or MSI) and $40~100 for RAM (256~512mb)... the add your
    video card.

    A $100 video card on that NEW setup would do more than a $400 card on
    the older setup.

    When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

    Death to Palladium & WPA!!

Nvidia Devices Graphics