Flashing 5900 non Ultra to 5950U

nick

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hi all,

I'm reading all over the internet it's ok to flash my Leadtek 5900 non U to
a 5950U. The articles and posts I'm reading state that the hardware is the
same. However, I might be wrong here, but I get the impression that the
memory on the 5900 is 2.2ns and the 5950 is 2.0ns. Is this right, and if so,
is it a mistake to flash my 5900.
Any comments please.

NN

The best is probably to test first if you can overclock the card to 5950
specification without flashing the bios. Flashing is more like a
permanent overclock. On some cards, the voltage is also slightly
different between models therefore flashing the bios allows to reach
higher overcloking results.

Jean

"nick" <aaaaaaaa@aaaaa.com> skrev i en meddelelse
> Hi all,
>
> I'm reading all over the internet it's ok to flash my Leadtek 5900 non U
> a 5950U. The articles and posts I'm reading state that the hardware is the
> same. However, I might be wrong here, but I get the impression that the
> memory on the 5900 is 2.2ns and the 5950 is 2.0ns. Is this right, and if
so,
> is it a mistake to flash my 5900.
> Any comments please.
>
> NN

WHY do u wanna flash your card? Low FPS ???
Run 5900 benchmarks now. Then save your bios. Flash your card. Run 5900@5950
benchmarks again. Pls. post your results...

G.

Stephen

>WHY do u wanna flash your card? Low FPS ???
>Run 5900 benchmarks now. Then save your bios. Flash your card. Run 5900@5950
>benchmarks again. Pls. post your results...

My system :
Athlon XP2600+
L7S7SA2 motherboard (CPU@166, RAM@200)
512MB DDR400 RAM+heatsink (Kingston I think)
Windows XP SP1
DirectX 9
Leadtek A350 5900 128MB vid card
NVidia 53.03 drivers

3DMark2003 with 5900 BIOS and card running @ 475/950 was 5443
with 5950Ultra BIOS and card @ 497/994 was 5654.

However, I was getting "sparkles" on the texttures when running at
497/994, so I do not consider the 5654 to be a valid score. I haven't
tried running the card any faster with the 5900 BIOS. I don't really
need that extra 0.01fps.

Another disadvantage to using the 5950Ultra BIOS is the fact that I
lost my TV output. I went right back to the 5900 BIOS I started with.

Stephen

teqguy

The 5950U features a higher voltage supply to your GPU and fan.

This clears up some of the heat issues people were having, because
additional voltage to the fan makes it revolve at a higher RPM.

The slight boost in voltage that the GPU recieves is negligible, it
isn't entirely responsible for the higher overclock speeds.

The 5900 and 5950 both feature 2.2ns ram in their Nvidia reference
specs, but some manufacturers have been using Hynix ram, which is
specified at 2.0ns.

So if you have a 5950U and you're trying to update your BIOS, don't use
other video card manufacturer's BIOSes until you check them out.

If you modify the default bios clock speeds on a 5950's bios, you could
actually use it on a cheaper 5900SE card.

The 5900SE uses 2.8ns ram, but it's also $187 compared to $400. ; )

Jean Jasinczuk wrote:

> The best is probably to test first if you can overclock the card to
> 5950 specification without flashing the bios. Flashing is more like a
> permanent overclock. On some cards, the voltage is also slightly
> different between models therefore flashing the bios allows to reach
> higher overcloking results.
>
> Jean
>

> nick wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'm reading all over the internet it's ok to flash my Leadtek 5900
> > non U to a 5950U. The articles and posts I'm reading state that the
> > hardware is the same. However, I might be wrong here, but I get the
> > impression that the memory on the 5900 is 2.2ns and the 5950 is
> > 2.0ns. Is this right, and if so, is it a mistake to flash my 5900.
> > Any comments please.
> >
> > NN

nick

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"nick" <aaaaaaaa@aaaaa.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I'm reading all over the internet it's ok to flash my Leadtek 5900 non U
> a 5950U. The articles and posts I'm reading state that the hardware is the
> same. However, I might be wrong here, but I get the impression that the
> memory on the 5900 is 2.2ns and the 5950 is 2.0ns. Is this right, and if
so,
> is it a mistake to flash my 5900.
> Any comments please.
>
> NN
Many thanks for the input, guys. All useful info.
NN

teqguy

nick wrote:

> "nick" <aaaaaaaa@aaaaa.com> wrote in message
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'm reading all over the internet it's ok to flash my Leadtek 5900
> > non U
> > a 5950U. The articles and posts I'm reading state that the hardware
> > is the same. However, I might be wrong here, but I get the
> > impression that the memory on the 5900 is 2.2ns and the 5950 is
> > 2.0ns. Is this right, and if
> so,
> > is it a mistake to flash my 5900.
> > Any comments please.
> >
> > NN
> Many thanks for the input, guys. All useful info.
> NN

Guys, the 5900XT can be flashed to a 5950! I did it sucessfully,
except for the fact that my card was crashing terribly and giving me
artifacts. You just have to relax the clock speeds, because they're
set too high by default. But, it's just proof that it can be done.

If anyone knows how to do it without using the Nvidia X-bios Editor
(because it doesn't allow modification of the GPU/RAM clocks), I'd like
to know.

teqguy wrote:
> nick wrote:
>

>> "nick" <aaaaaaaa@aaaaa.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I'm reading all over the internet it's ok to flash my Leadtek 5900
>>> non U
>>> a 5950U. The articles and posts I'm reading state that the hardware
>>> is the same. However, I might be wrong here, but I get the
>>> impression that the memory on the 5900 is 2.2ns and the 5950 is
>>> 2.0ns. Is this right, and if
>> so,
>>> is it a mistake to flash my 5900.
>>> Any comments please.
>>>
>>> NN
>> Many thanks for the input, guys. All useful info.
>> NN
>

> Guys, the 5900XT can be flashed to a 5950! I did it sucessfully,
> except for the fact that my card was crashing terribly and giving me
> artifacts. You just have to relax the clock speeds, because they're
> set too high by default. But, it's just proof that it can be done.
>

> If anyone knows how to do it without using the Nvidia X-bios Editor
> (because it doesn't allow modification of the GPU/RAM clocks), I'd
> like to know.

Of course it can be done. That's a great example why not to flash an XT
though.