What is Anisotropic Filtering and Antialiasing?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
April 4, 2004 6:44:50 PM

Alright i am planning to update from a g4 ti 4400 to a Radeon 9800 pro so i
can finally use Anisotropic Filtering and Antialiasing. So I would like to
know a bit about the 2. What does each one do? And if i enable what kind of
performance decrease will i get and what visual ewnhancements will i get? Im
running a p4 2.6ghz with 1 gig pc 3200 ram and soon to be Radeon 9800 pro.
So i think i should be able to use these 2 settings without too much
slowdown. Anyway thanks for your time :)
April 4, 2004 6:44:51 PM

Why not post this in the ATI group since this is an nvida group.... and I
think nvida is better then ATI personally :)

Anthony

"Chris" <chrisser32@rogers.com> wrote in message
> Alright i am planning to update from a g4 ti 4400 to a Radeon 9800 pro so
> can finally use Anisotropic Filtering and Antialiasing. So I would like to
> know a bit about the 2. What does each one do? And if i enable what kind
of
> performance decrease will i get and what visual ewnhancements will i get?
Im
> running a p4 2.6ghz with 1 gig pc 3200 ram and soon to be Radeon 9800 pro.
> So i think i should be able to use these 2 settings without too much
> slowdown. Anyway thanks for your time :)

April 4, 2004 7:21:51 PM

Chris wrote:
> Alright i am planning to update from a g4 ti 4400 to a Radeon 9800 pro so i
> can finally use Anisotropic Filtering and Antialiasing. So I would like to
> know a bit about the 2. What does each one do? And if i enable what kind of
> performance decrease will i get and what visual ewnhancements will i get? Im
> running a p4 2.6ghz with 1 gig pc 3200 ram and soon to be Radeon 9800 pro.
> So i think i should be able to use these 2 settings without too much
> slowdown. Anyway thanks for your time :)

first of all dont get the radeon pro, get as geforce fx 5700 non-ultra
or ultra. and they help sharpen the image how they work i dont know but
they do take up some performance, not to much. I have the 5700 ultra
and love it so will you and only 168 at newegg. (the eVGA)
Related resources
April 4, 2004 9:06:35 PM

what does it matter which group i post in... your saying nvidia cards dont
have these 2 features.....
"Anthony" <aevansjr3@cox.net> wrote in message
> Why not post this in the ATI group since this is an nvida group.... and I
> think nvida is better then ATI personally :)
>
> Anthony
>

> "Chris" <chrisser32@rogers.com> wrote in message
> > Alright i am planning to update from a g4 ti 4400 to a Radeon 9800 pro
so
> > can finally use Anisotropic Filtering and Antialiasing. So I would like
> > know a bit about the 2. What does each one do? And if i enable what kind
> of
> > performance decrease will i get and what visual ewnhancements will i
get?
> Im
> > running a p4 2.6ghz with 1 gig pc 3200 ram and soon to be Radeon 9800
pro.
> > So i think i should be able to use these 2 settings without too much
> > slowdown. Anyway thanks for your time :)

Anonymous
April 4, 2004 9:44:26 PM

"Chris" <chrisser32@rogers.com> wrote in message news:<CbVbc.120$3%81.116@news04.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com>...
> Alright i am planning to update from a g4 ti 4400 to a Radeon 9800 pro so i
> can finally use Anisotropic Filtering and Antialiasing. So I would like to
> know a bit about the 2. What does each one do? And if i enable what kind of
> performance decrease will i get and what visual ewnhancements will i get? Im
> running a p4 2.6ghz with 1 gig pc 3200 ram and soon to be Radeon 9800 pro.
> So i think i should be able to use these 2 settings without too much
> slowdown. Anyway thanks for your time :)

Anti aliasing removes "jaggies" the little edges you see around models
and corners...

Anisotropisch Filtering causes the far away textures to stay of good
quality, normally a few "meters" from the "person" the textures
degrade in quality, but aniso causes those bounderies to lay further.
Thus you can look further with good textures :-)

Of course both things do use a bit GPU power and also quite a bit of
memory bandtwidth. So most people use it to play those "light" games
like counterstrike with every one to make it look reasonable nice to
watch! It also works great in GTA: Vice City and so on!
April 5, 2004 2:21:17 AM

Ryan <ryan5001sk8@verizon.net> nie ma racji, ale pisze, ze:

> first of all dont get the radeon pro, get as geforce fx 5700 non-ultra
> or ultra. and they help sharpen the image how they work i dont know
> but they do take up some performance, not to much. I have the 5700
> ultra and love it so will you and only 168 at newegg. (the eVGA)

LOL... You claim that FX5700 Ultra is faster than R9800 Pro... Maybe you
just thought about R9600 Pro which is actually slower than FX5700 Ultra. :)

R9800 Pro is is a little bit faster than FX5900 Ultra, in some cases it may
be comparable with FX5950 Ultra... If you turn on FSAA and AF on R9800 Pro
it will be faster than any available NVIDIA card. :p

--
maniac
maniac(at)chello.pl

"Ryan" <ryan5001sk8@verizon.net> skrev i meddelandet
> Chris wrote:

> first of all dont get the radeon pro, get as geforce fx 5700 non-ultra
> or ultra. and they help sharpen the image how they work i dont know but
> they do take up some performance, not to much.

With other words, you are claiming that 5700 non-ultra/ultra is better card
then the one that he's about to buy (Radeon 9800Pro) ?!?!?!?
Anonymous
April 5, 2004 2:42:33 AM

"Chris" <chrisser32@rogers.com> skrev i meddelandet
> what does it matter which group i post in... your saying nvidia cards dont
> have these 2 features.....

nVidia cards do have those 2 features. In fact, even your "old" Ti4400 does
well with those features activated.
Some games have these options in their graph. settings (eg. Max Payne),
while in some games you have to set these manually in your graphic driver
settings (eg. Battlefield 1942, Call Of Duty). Anyway, you should never
tweak these two if they are avaiable to activate in the game itself (in that
case, they should be always turned off in graph. driver settings)

Anyway, to answer your question.
Antialiasing is a graphic rendering function that simply makes edges of
graphic sprites looking smoother.
If you for instance choose Antialiasing set to 2X, that means that all
images are being rendered 2 times, which of course means that it decreases
performance/frame rate. But with a good graph card (in some cases even a
powerful CPU is needed - depending on game engine), you shouldn't experience
any problems.

Anisoptric Filtering, when activated, makes some details in graphic, for
example water reflections, shadows, lightning effects etc., looking more
realistic then they already are.

Although I do like nVidia more then ATI, especially because of its more
stable drivers, I must still admit that Radeon cards are unbeatable when it
comes to AA and AF! To have a fairly good performance in games with AA / AF
activated, you need at least a GF 5700Ultra, although I wouldn't go lower
then a GF5900 nonUltra.
Your Radeon 9800PRO, will be, of course, faster then mentioned nVidia cards.
Anonymous
April 5, 2004 7:18:21 AM

Anyway, you should never
> tweak these two if they are avaiable to activate in the game itself (in
that
> case, they should be always turned off in graph. driver settings)

i find this most interesting what you say here. What happens if I put 4xAA
and 2xAF for example in the drivertab and leave it in the game on zero? Or i
put it in the game on 4xAA en 2xAF too? I am asking cause i never
experimented with it and nobody ever talks about it.What overrides
what....does it differ on games and drivers (I never use it cause i think my
Ti4200 is too slow to use it in the modern games i play) But since i am
going to buy a next-gen card soon it dies interest me.
Anonymous
April 5, 2004 7:18:22 AM

>What happens if I put 4xAA
>and 2xAF for example in the drivertab and leave it in the game on zero?

It will override the game settings.>Or i
>put it in the game on 4xAA en 2xAF too?

Some games have their own AA, which is not on the driver level...so setting it
on in the drivers will make it look even better. I have found that the drivers
seem to override the settings in most games. It does differ on games though.

I have a 4200 and I use AA and AF quite a bit on modern games. My card is
running 325/650 and I get around 14000 3Dmarks.
Anonymous
April 5, 2004 8:30:06 AM

"PRIVATE1964" <private1964@aol.com> schreef in bericht
> >What happens if I put 4xAA
> >and 2xAF for example in the drivertab and leave it in the game on zero?
>
> It will override the game settings.>Or i
> >put it in the game on 4xAA en 2xAF too?
>
> Some games have their own AA, which is not on the driver level...so
setting it
> on in the drivers will make it look even better. I have found that the
drivers
> seem to override the settings in most games. It does differ on games
though.

> I have a 4200 and I use AA and AF quite a bit on modern games. My card is
> running 325/650 and I get around 14000 3Dmarks.

TY for your answer.
Well i do use AA en 2xAF too in FS2004, and of course i can use it in
lighter games Tony Hawk or something (but i dont play those). In Desert
Combat, where the AA is definitely needed, it just isn't going to happen, i
find the sacrifice too much. I have mine clocked to 295/584 (Zalman cooled).
Another reason i didnt use it was that you had to change it in the driver
before shooting up a new game, a point now solved by the new 55.xx (Well
done nVidia).

btw Ati is going to implement something like that too, soon.
Anonymous
April 5, 2004 8:30:07 AM

>TY for your answer.
>Well i do use AA en 2xAF too in FS2004, and of course i can use it in
>lighter games Tony Hawk or something (but i dont play those). In Desert
>Combat, where the AA is definitely needed, it just isn't going to happen, i
>find the sacrifice too much. I have mine clocked to 295/584 (Zalman cooled).
>Another reason i didnt use it was that you had to change it in the driver
>before shooting up a new game, a point now solved by the new 55.xx (Well
>done nVidia).
>
>btw Ati is going to implement something like that too, soon.

Using AF with flight sims helps make the ground textures look better with less
shimmering. You really can't use AA with Desert Combat anyway because it causes
the text to get all messed up on Nvidia cards. I've tried it with AF also, but
it doesn't seem to do anything because I think the game already has some AF
built in.
I have been using a thing called atuner for a long time. It saves a profile for
each game and applies the profile when you start the game. It's can apply
Antialiasing, Anisotropic filtering and Vsync with each profile. It also has
other settings for Direct3d and Opengl which can be changed but not applied
automatically with a profile.

You should try using the 44.03's with your 4200, better performance and just as
stable as the newer drivers.
April 5, 2004 2:55:24 PM

Chris - the 9800pro is a very good card and at the moment great value for
money. AF is a step on from Trilinear filtering - it sharpens distant
textures and reduces the 'banding' you notice on floor/wall textures. Ever
switched form bilinear to trilinear filtering and noticed the differance ?
AF is more of the same.
AA is a slight 'blurring' of pixels to reduce the appearance of jagged edges
to diagonal lines - the problem for me is the whole image is blurred when
using AA not just the edges so you get blurred textures and blurred text
too.
Radeons do these features with less of a performance hit than Geforces but
whether you use those features is up to you.

!