My ti 4660 lost 4000 points at 3dmark2001se. Why?

Hello everbody,

I hope someone will be able to help me about this problem
I apparently have with my ti4600.

first the system:
Pentium IV 2,5 Ghz,
motherboard P4PE,
512 MB ddram 333 Mhz,
geforce ti4600 (41.09 detonators)
Operating System Windows 2000

I was used to get about 12,500 points
at 3dmark2001SE, which was fine to me.

I had to reformat the hard disk and to
reinstall the OS so I took the chance to
upgrade the geforce drivers to 43.45 (Ok, I know
they are not very up to date, but I had them
available at the time). Big surprise, 3dmark2001SE
score shrinked to about 8.500. I'm sure
I had no antivirus, nor anything else running
on the PC during the test.

The only hardware change was actually moving from
an old 15" CRT monitor to a 17" TFT. But I'm sure
I set up the resolution to 1024 x 768 x 32 (which is
also the 3dmark2001SE default) when running the test.

I moved back to 41.09, with proper (I hope) uninstall
of 43.45, with no results. I also tried the newest 56.64,
but still with no improvement...

Rather strange, pretty demanding videogames such us
Star Wars KOTOR (plaied with high graphics details - but
no AA nor aniostropic), seems to run pretty smoothly at
1280 x 1024 more or less as before at 1024 x 768.

Hence, I do not know what to do/think.

Does anyone has any idea of what happened to the 4,000 points
missing?

Thanks a lot for any suggestion,

Daniele

On 5 Apr 2004 02:45:59 -0700, daniele_gunetti@yahoo.it (Daniele
Gunetti) wrote:

>Hello everbody,
>
>I hope someone will be able to help me about this problem
>I apparently have with my ti4600.
>
>first the system:
>Pentium IV 2,5 Ghz,
>motherboard P4PE,
>512 MB ddram 333 Mhz,
>geforce ti4600 (41.09 detonators)
>Operating System Windows 2000
>
>I was used to get about 12,500 points
>at 3dmark2001SE, which was fine to me.
>
>I had to reformat the hard disk and to
>reinstall the OS so I took the chance to
>upgrade the geforce drivers to 43.45 (Ok, I know
>they are not very up to date, but I had them
>available at the time). Big surprise, 3dmark2001SE
>score shrinked to about 8.500. I'm sure
>I had no antivirus, nor anything else running
>on the PC during the test.
>
>The only hardware change was actually moving from
>an old 15" CRT monitor to a 17" TFT. But I'm sure
>I set up the resolution to 1024 x 768 x 32 (which is
>also the 3dmark2001SE default) when running the test.
>
>I moved back to 41.09, with proper (I hope) uninstall
>of 43.45, with no results. I also tried the newest 56.64,
>but still with no improvement...
>
>Rather strange, pretty demanding videogames such us
>Star Wars KOTOR (plaied with high graphics details - but
>no AA nor aniostropic), seems to run pretty smoothly at
>1280 x 1024 more or less as before at 1024 x 768.
>
>Hence, I do not know what to do/think.
>
>Does anyone has any idea of what happened to the 4,000 points
>missing?
>
>Thanks a lot for any suggestion,
>
>Daniele

AA or AF on?

Joe

J.B. <J.B.@home.com> wrote in message news:<mft3705p7qmel9fn9nsuk4sk20eq25at88@4ax.com>...
> On 5 Apr 2004 02:45:59 -0700, daniele_gunetti@yahoo.it (Daniele
> Gunetti) wrote:

> >I had to reformat the hard disk and to
> >reinstall the OS so I took the chance to
> >upgrade the geforce drivers to 43.45 (Ok, I know
> >they are not very up to date, but I had them
> >available at the time). Big surprise, 3dmark2001SE
> >score shrinked to about 8.500. I'm sure
> >I had no antivirus, nor anything else running
> >on the PC during the test.
> >

> AA or AF on?
>
> Joe

Eh eh, come on Joe, of course not.
I was instead thinking to something damaged
on the 4600, but honestly I would not know how
to check it...

Daniele

"Daniele Gunetti" <daniele_gunetti@yahoo.it> wrote
> > If your games and benchmark programs are working as they should
> > (except slower)
> but this is what confuse me. Videogames seem playing smoothly
> even now that I run them at 1280 x 1024 (at least I'm unable to
> notice any difference w.r.t. when I ran them at 1024 x 768).
> If were not for that damn 3dmark2001 low score...

I noticed myself that 3DMark2001 ALWAYS gave higher
scores after second benchmark run. Strange, how does my
PC gain more horsepower between first and second runs?
No, I believe 3DMark is buggy piece of cr*p.

You could too as well wipe your *ss with it's scores and be
happy if the games are running smoothly. Or is 3DMark2001
most important main application you're using daily? :)

I think not. Let it go, forget the scores.

"Aki Peltola" <aape@POISTAgamma.nic.fi> wrote in message

> You could too as well wipe your *ss with it's scores and be
> happy if the games are running smoothly. Or is 3DMark2001
> most important main application you're using daily? :)
>
> I think not. Let it go, forget the scores.

Definitely I agree with you. It's just I want to be sure
I am getting the most from the card. What if I run
a new videogame and get a very low frame rate? Should
I assume the card is reaching its limits, or is it
not working properly for any unknown reason?

At the moment I'm not so worried
precisely because the game I was playing is running
smoothly even with a higher resolution. Unfortunately,
this does not imply the card is running properly at
its best...

Daniele

"Aki Peltola" <aape@POISTAgamma.nic.fi> wrote
> So go ahead, try each of the drivers and see what "suits"
> best for Your card... See ya after couple of months, in a
> strait-jacket :)

Hehe, well. I couldn't resist and made a test myself with the
few drivers I have in my "archives"...

Have been updating to the latest detonators as they are
released, at the moment 56.72 WHQL. Card is GF3 Ti200
and 3dMark2001 scored about 6500.

Cleaned those drivers from my system and jumped back to
30.82's... Ahemm, 7100 points. But otherwise those drivers
are useless, because they are uncompatible with Far Cry
and the graphics are totally messed up. I guess it's because
they lack DX9-support.

Then I tested 43.45's, 7000 points and Far Cry also works
OK. Seems to me that older the driver, the higher 3DMark2001
scores. So if somebody owning an older GF2/3/4 series card
wants the most out of their cards, I suggest trying 43.45's
which is the first driver set having DX9-support.

And oh, remember to turn VSYNC off using coolbit or
rivatuner...

"Aki Peltola" <aape@POISTAgamma.nic.fi> wrote in message

> *sigh* So it is necessary for you to get some numbers
> on the screen showing that your PC is running "at its best"?
> You become crazy if you start to think it in that way,
> there's at least a dozen of drivers for Nvidia-cards that
> presumably give different "scores" on each different
> Nvidia-card.
>
> So go ahead, try each of the drivers and see what "suits"
> best for Your card... See ya after couple of months, in a
> strait-jacket :)

Ehm, Aki, go back to my initial post, cause I think you're missing the point.
The problem is that "exactly" with the same configuration as before
(same OS, same drivers, same resolution, no AA , no AF, no V-SYNC),
the card is losing about 4,000 points w.r.t. the previous score.
Isn't that a little strange?

Daniele

"Daniele Gunetti" <daniele_gunetti@yahoo.it> wrote
> The problem is that "exactly" with the same configuration as before
> (same OS, same drivers, same resolution, no AA , no AF, no V-SYNC),
> the card is losing about 4,000 points w.r.t. the previous score.
> Isn't that a little strange?

This thread is cutted off from the beginning, so this stuff may
have been already told...

You have switched VSYNC off from the Nvidia's driver
properties (D3D)? Even if 3DMark2001 shows "VSYNC OFF",
it may be still on (lowering the scores).

And I suppose you have checked the AGP-settings from BIOS
and drivers are set to "Performance"-mode? Clock frequencies
are the same as before also?

If everything is JUST like before and points missing, quite strange
indeed. Perhaps you're recalling some 3DMark2000, "human
mistake" etc.? ;-)

"Aki Peltola" <aape@POISTAgamma.nic.fi> wrote in message

> You have switched VSYNC off from the Nvidia's driver
> properties (D3D)? Even if 3DMark2001 shows "VSYNC OFF",
> it may be still on (lowering the scores).
>
> And I suppose you have checked the AGP-settings from BIOS
> and drivers are set to "Performance"-mode? Clock frequencies
> are the same as before also?

I would reply "YES", but since the whole thing is driving me crazy
(well..., more or less :))), I will check *again* this evening
at home. I would really like discovering something I forgot
to check... I would feel rather stupid then, but at least I'd have
an explanation...

Actually I'm checking clock frequencies from within 3dmark2001,
so there might be a circular problem. Hi hi hi.

> If everything is JUST like before and points missing, quite strange
> indeed. Perhaps you're recalling some 3DMark2000, "human
> mistake" etc.? ;-)

Hmmm, I think I miss the point here...

Anyway I'll let you know if I solve anything.
Even if it was a human (that is mine) mistake.

Daniele

I can't help you but i get with xp pro 11800 3dmark2001se
MSI Kt3 ultra
amd xp2400 + Corsair pc2700 512mb ddr
Asus gf4 ti4400 128mb core 300mhz. mem 600mhz det.41.09
realtek ethernet card 2x
SB live 5.1 + 56k pci modem v92 trust
liteon dvd player + hp 9300i cd writer
floppy drive + maxtor120gb 8mb/7200rpm harddrive
Aopen H600 with 2 casefans + superflower 420w psu
WindowsXP Pro with all updates.

"Daniele Gunetti" <daniele_gunetti@yahoo.it> schreef in bericht
> Hello everbody,
>
> I hope someone will be able to help me about this problem
> I apparently have with my ti4600.
>
> first the system:
> Pentium IV 2,5 Ghz,
> motherboard P4PE,
> 512 MB ddram 333 Mhz,
> geforce ti4600 (41.09 detonators)
> Operating System Windows 2000
>
> I was used to get about 12,500 points
> at 3dmark2001SE, which was fine to me.
>
> I had to reformat the hard disk and to
> reinstall the OS so I took the chance to
> upgrade the geforce drivers to 43.45 (Ok, I know
> they are not very up to date, but I had them
> available at the time). Big surprise, 3dmark2001SE
> score shrinked to about 8.500. I'm sure
> I had no antivirus, nor anything else running
> on the PC during the test.
>
> The only hardware change was actually moving from
> an old 15" CRT monitor to a 17" TFT. But I'm sure
> I set up the resolution to 1024 x 768 x 32 (which is
> also the 3dmark2001SE default) when running the test.
>
> I moved back to 41.09, with proper (I hope) uninstall
> of 43.45, with no results. I also tried the newest 56.64,
> but still with no improvement...
>
> Rather strange, pretty demanding videogames such us
> Star Wars KOTOR (plaied with high graphics details - but
> no AA nor aniostropic), seems to run pretty smoothly at
> 1280 x 1024 more or less as before at 1024 x 768.
>
> Hence, I do not know what to do/think.
>
> Does anyone has any idea of what happened to the 4,000 points
> missing?
>
> Thanks a lot for any suggestion,
>
> Daniele

Should mention that it's with the default settings you get after first
install.
No fidling with any setting in 3dmark itself.

"Flow" <flowing@zonnet.nl> schreef in bericht
> I can't help you but i get with xp pro 11800 3dmark2001se
> MSI Kt3 ultra
> amd xp2400 + Corsair pc2700 512mb ddr
> Asus gf4 ti4400 128mb core 300mhz. mem 600mhz det.41.09
> realtek ethernet card 2x
> SB live 5.1 + 56k pci modem v92 trust
> liteon dvd player + hp 9300i cd writer
> floppy drive + maxtor120gb 8mb/7200rpm harddrive
> Aopen H600 with 2 casefans + superflower 420w psu
> WindowsXP Pro with all updates.
>
> "Daniele Gunetti" <daniele_gunetti@yahoo.it> schreef in bericht
> > Hello everbody,
> >
> > I hope someone will be able to help me about this problem
> > I apparently have with my ti4600.
> >
> > first the system:
> > Pentium IV 2,5 Ghz,
> > motherboard P4PE,
> > 512 MB ddram 333 Mhz,
> > geforce ti4600 (41.09 detonators)
> > Operating System Windows 2000
> >
> > I was used to get about 12,500 points
> > at 3dmark2001SE, which was fine to me.
> >
> > I had to reformat the hard disk and to
> > reinstall the OS so I took the chance to
> > upgrade the geforce drivers to 43.45 (Ok, I know
> > they are not very up to date, but I had them
> > available at the time). Big surprise, 3dmark2001SE
> > score shrinked to about 8.500. I'm sure
> > I had no antivirus, nor anything else running
> > on the PC during the test.
> >
> > The only hardware change was actually moving from
> > an old 15" CRT monitor to a 17" TFT. But I'm sure
> > I set up the resolution to 1024 x 768 x 32 (which is
> > also the 3dmark2001SE default) when running the test.
> >
> > I moved back to 41.09, with proper (I hope) uninstall
> > of 43.45, with no results. I also tried the newest 56.64,
> > but still with no improvement...
> >
> > Rather strange, pretty demanding videogames such us
> > Star Wars KOTOR (plaied with high graphics details - but
> > no AA nor aniostropic), seems to run pretty smoothly at
> > 1280 x 1024 more or less as before at 1024 x 768.
> >
> > Hence, I do not know what to do/think.
> >
> > Does anyone has any idea of what happened to the 4,000 points
> > missing?
> >
> > Thanks a lot for any suggestion,
> >
> > Daniele

"Daniele Gunetti" <daniele_gunetti@yahoo.it> wrote
> "Aki Peltola" <aape@POISTAgamma.nic.fi> wrote
> > If everything is JUST like before and points missing, quite strange
> > indeed. Perhaps you're recalling some 3DMark2000, "human
> > mistake" etc.? ;-)
> Hmmm, I think I miss the point here...

What a wonder, I don't get it myself either now I'm reading
it in full mental strenght :)

But what I meant was, that have you benchmarked with
3DMark2000 lately? It gives higher scores than 2001SE
and perhaps you're messed the scores between those two
apps...

If you notice no difference in teh games you play, then this is probably a
completely irrelevent posting.
"Daniele Gunetti" <daniele_gunetti@yahoo.it> wrote in message
> "Aki Peltola" <aape@POISTAgamma.nic.fi> wrote in message
> >
> > You have switched VSYNC off from the Nvidia's driver
> > properties (D3D)? Even if 3DMark2001 shows "VSYNC OFF",
> > it may be still on (lowering the scores).
> >
> > And I suppose you have checked the AGP-settings from BIOS
> > and drivers are set to "Performance"-mode? Clock frequencies
> > are the same as before also?
>
> I would reply "YES", but since the whole thing is driving me crazy
> (well..., more or less :))), I will check *again* this evening
> at home. I would really like discovering something I forgot
> to check... I would feel rather stupid then, but at least I'd have
> an explanation...
>
> Actually I'm checking clock frequencies from within 3dmark2001,
> so there might be a circular problem. Hi hi hi.
>

> > If everything is JUST like before and points missing, quite strange
> > indeed. Perhaps you're recalling some 3DMark2000, "human
> > mistake" etc.? ;-)
>
> Hmmm, I think I miss the point here...
>
> Anyway I'll let you know if I solve anything.
> Even if it was a human (that is mine) mistake.
>
> Daniele

"Aki Peltola" <aape@POISTAgamma.nic.fi> wrote in message

> > Hmmm, I think I miss the point here...
>
> What a wonder, I don't get it myself either now I'm reading
> it in full mental strenght :)

Ah, ok, then I'm not losing my English :))

> But what I meant was, that have you benchmarked with
> 3DMark2000 lately? It gives higher scores than 2001SE
> and perhaps you're messed the scores between those two
> apps...

Ok, nice try, but... on the PC I only had 3dmark2001,
I never used 3dmark2000. So the two scores (the good and
the bad one) come frome the same program, just reinstalled
after formatting the HD.

Thanks anyway for your suggestions Aki. I Think I will fumble
with the problem a little more and then I'll probably give up.
I will be content with the videogames running smoothly, until
doomIII comes out (ot is it the IV?) and I will blame the
missing 3dmark2001 points for not having the monsters
moving decently well on the screen...

Cheers, Daniele

"Flow" <flowing@zonnet.nl> wrote in message news:<K8Tec.8646$EV2.68935@amstwist00>...
> I can't help you but i get with xp pro 11800 3dmark2001se
> MSI Kt3 ultra
> amd xp2400 + Corsair pc2700 512mb ddr
> Asus gf4 ti4400 128mb core 300mhz. mem 600mhz det.41.09
> realtek ethernet card 2x
> SB live 5.1 + 56k pci modem v92 trust
> liteon dvd player + hp 9300i cd writer
> floppy drive + maxtor120gb 8mb/7200rpm harddrive
> Aopen H600 with 2 casefans + superflower 420w psu
> WindowsXP Pro with all updates.

hence, we have very similar systems, and the 3dmark2001se
are also pretty close. Mine was about 12500. "It was", alas,
since now is about 8500... As you recall in your second post,
with d3mark2001 defaults. Grrrrrr!!!

Daniele