Nvidia and board partners - are they on drugs?

How else to explain the rash of horrible video cards they are currently
spewing out? Slow cores, dog slow 5ns memory. What can they possible be
thinking?

It's fine to have a model of video card to fit each market segment. But
there are only about 3 real market segments.

1) the low end consumer segment - your basic set of video card functions
(i.e. FX5200).

2) the midrange segment - in addition to your basic functions it
includes an acceptable level of game performance (i.e. FX5700 Ultra or
FX5900XT). Important that this card be priced below the important $200
price level.

3) the high end - hard core gamer who wants maximum performance at any
cost

Really that's about it. There might be one or two models falling in each
segment. For example, the FX5200 Ultra would add some modest gaming
performance to the low end. The FX5900XT would be at the top of the
midrange end, offering very good game performance, at a reasonable
price. At the high end you have the very high priced and the insanely
high priced versions.

So any manufacturer who has a video card lineup of more than about six
cards is just confusing the consumer. And to have a whole boatload of
low end, poor performing cards, makes no sense whatever.

What I find interesting is retailers like Frys here in No. Calif. carry ONLY
low and high end cards; all you can find are FX5200s and 5950s. Nothing in
between, so you can spend $70 or $500. Totally nuts. I found a nice 5700
with 256MB of DDR online for $138 shipped.

"wgd" <wgd@nomail.com> wrote in message
> How else to explain the rash of horrible video cards they are currently
> spewing out? Slow cores, dog slow 5ns memory. What can they possible be
> thinking?
>
> It's fine to have a model of video card to fit each market segment. But
> there are only about 3 real market segments.
>
> 1) the low end consumer segment - your basic set of video card functions
> (i.e. FX5200).
>
> 2) the midrange segment - in addition to your basic functions it
> includes an acceptable level of game performance (i.e. FX5700 Ultra or
> FX5900XT). Important that this card be priced below the important $200
> price level.
>
> 3) the high end - hard core gamer who wants maximum performance at any
> cost
>
> Really that's about it. There might be one or two models falling in each
> segment. For example, the FX5200 Ultra would add some modest gaming
> performance to the low end. The FX5900XT would be at the top of the
> midrange end, offering very good game performance, at a reasonable
> price. At the high end you have the very high priced and the insanely
> high priced versions.
>
> So any manufacturer who has a video card lineup of more than about six
> cards is just confusing the consumer. And to have a whole boatload of
> low end, poor performing cards, makes no sense whatever.

NaDa

wgd <wgd@nomail.com> wrote:
> How else to explain the rash of horrible video cards they are currently
> spewing out? Slow cores, dog slow 5ns memory. What can they possible be
> thinking?

Jen-Hsun Huang and the marketing team are on sedatives as are the
majority of the graphics cards. I see no other reasoning. John
Carmack should send them a pirated Russian copy of Doom 3 to wake them
up.

> It's fine to have a model of video card to fit each market segment. But
> there are only about 3 real market segments.

Apparently, there's about ten of them in the low-end level.

> 1) the low end consumer segment - your basic set of video card functions
> (i.e. FX5200).

I understand this release, but oh boy do the regular non-hardcore
gamers get whacked in the head with the XTs, Ultras and Golden
Samples. Heck, even the hardware store keepers have their heads
buried in the sand like ostrichs.

> 2) the midrange segment - in addition to your basic functions it
> includes an acceptable level of game performance (i.e. FX5700 Ultra or
> FX5900XT). Important that this card be priced below the important $200
> price level.

This is how it used to be with GeForce 1, 2 and 3. And we could count
to one, two and three with low, mid and high. For some reason, this
simple structure is conservative marketing.

> 3) the high end - hard core gamer who wants maximum performance at any
> cost
>
> Really that's about it. There might be one or two models falling in each
> segment. For example, the FX5200 Ultra would add some modest gaming
> performance to the low end. The FX5900XT would be at the top of the
> midrange end, offering very good game performance, at a reasonable
> price. At the high end you have the very high priced and the insanely
> high priced versions.
>
> So any manufacturer who has a video card lineup of more than about six
> cards is just confusing the consumer. And to have a whole boatload of
> low end, poor performing cards, makes no sense whatever.

Gainward has the most ridiculously named products. It's enough to
make me cringe. Funny, but I was looking for T-shirt on the other
week to see if there were any XT-sized models. Then I remembered my
size is actually XL.

On 6 Apr 2004 01:52:54 -0700, nada_says@hotmail.com (Nada) wrote:

>wgd <wgd@nomail.com> wrote:
>> How else to explain the rash of horrible video cards they are currently
>> spewing out? Slow cores, dog slow 5ns memory. What can they possible be
>> thinking?
>
>Jen-Hsun Huang and the marketing team are on sedatives as are the
>majority of the graphics cards. I see no other reasoning.

$$ -revenue.

The people that haunt this newsgroup are the .001% knowledgeable
video-card purchasers. The remainder are the unwashed masses
that buy video cards on the basis of the capacity of their purses, the
pretty boxes or the salesman's recommendations.

Spend an hour or so idly observing video-card purchasers at your
local Fry's on a weekend. You may find it interesting.

John Lewis

john.dsl@verizon.net (John Lewis) wrote in message news:<4072e381.6541574@news.verizon.net>...
> On 6 Apr 2004 01:52:54 -0700, nada_says@hotmail.com (Nada) wrote:
>
> >wgd <wgd@nomail.com> wrote:
> >> How else to explain the rash of horrible video cards they are currently
> >> spewing out? Slow cores, dog slow 5ns memory. What can they possible be
> >> thinking?
> >
> >Jen-Hsun Huang and the marketing team are on sedatives as are the
> >majority of the graphics cards. I see no other reasoning.
>
> $$ -revenue.
>
> The people that haunt this newsgroup are the .001% knowledgeable
> video-card purchasers. The remainder are the unwashed masses
> that buy video cards on the basis of the capacity of their purses, the
> pretty boxes or the salesman's recommendations.
>
> Spend an hour or so idly observing video-card purchasers at your
> local Fry's on a weekend. You may find it interesting.
>
> John Lewis

Yup

Magic words like "FX series", "Directx9" and "256Mb memory" seems to
do wonders in buyers...

The salesmen saying "this card is fast enough for nowadays games and
coming games"

And the shiny box it comes in

Remember we are now talking about the FX5200 Non Ultra 256Mb.. a card
you wouldn't want to be found DEAD with. A card that if you buy it
nobody steals from you thinking "poor sod..such a cheap ass piece of
hardware...must be to poor to steal from"

Yup... only the top 10% of the buyers actually knows what it buys!

NaDa

john.dsl@verizon.net (John Lewis) wrote:
> On 6 Apr 2004 01:52:54 -0700, nada_says@hotmail.com (Nada) wrote:
>
> >wgd <wgd@nomail.com> wrote:
> >> How else to explain the rash of horrible video cards they are currently
> >> spewing out? Slow cores, dog slow 5ns memory. What can they possible be
> >> thinking?
> >
> >Jen-Hsun Huang and the marketing team are on sedatives as are the
> >majority of the graphics cards. I see no other reasoning.
>
> $$ -revenue.
>
> The people that haunt this newsgroup are the .001% knowledgeable
> video-card purchasers. The remainder are the unwashed masses
> that buy video cards on the basis of the capacity of their purses, the
> pretty boxes or the salesman's recommendations.
>
> Spend an hour or so idly observing video-card purchasers at your
> local Fry's on a weekend. You may find it interesting.
>
> John Lewis

There are those people who look at the numbers from a chronological
point of view. "Ti 4800 or FX5200 Ultra 256Mb? Hmmm...I think 5200
is more, and 256mbs is more than 128mbs, so I'll take this to my
grandson for his birthday. He will be so happy to play his violent
games."