Star Wars Galaxies Players File Suit Against Sony

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrmike_49

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
I'm getting REAL tired of seeing and hearing how companies abuse their users on the forums: censorship is rampant, almost total. Most mods are petty bureaucrats and would be tyrants (that's the kind of people who volunteer to be unpaid mods!). The postings are censored so as to "not offend" either your great grandma or your 8 year old kid. All in all, I've come to the conclusion that company owned game forums should be obsolete

G

SOE has always been horrible at caring about it's subscribers. They just don't care.

alikum

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2008
[citation][nom]mrmike_49[/nom]I'm getting REAL tired of seeing and hearing how companies abuse their users on the forums: censorship is rampant, almost total. Most mods are petty bureaucrats and would be tyrants (that's the kind of people who volunteer to be unpaid mods!). The postings are censored so as to "not offend" either your great grandma or your 8 year old kid. All in all, I've come to the conclusion that company owned game forums should be obsolete[/citation]
Wholeheartedly agree

yettyman

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
Well looking at it from their point of view. The subscriber base must not be large enough to justify supporting it so a company isn't going to risk losing money for a very low chance of making it.

Also forums on websites can do whatever they want. They run them, maintain them, and you don't have to use them. If they have rules that you don't want to follow or the mods tell you not to do something you don't really have a reason to complain.

iolas

Distinguished
May 16, 2010
People still want to play SWG? It hasn't been its brilliant self since the CU back in 2005. Frankly, after 2005, SWG has been trash.

hostel_bant

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011
No lawsuit has been filed. As drafter of the petition, and a spokesperson for those trying to save Star Wars Galaxies, there has been no talk whatsoever of any lawsuit being filed.

For those not familiar with our community, there are several irrationally negative people who are still upset at SOE and Lucas Arts over massive game changes implemented in 2005. It is my belief that a group of these like minded individuals, or as someone else suggested, an outside group, contacted various news sources in an effort to disparage the petitioning group.

Those person's engaged in actively trying to petition Star Wars Galaxies are very disheartened over this alleged lawsuit, as they feel it paints them in a bad light. We are committed to using every legal means at our disposal to lobby SOE and LA to keep this game open. The concept of taking legal action will only be considered as a last resort measure in the face of unlawful action.

For further comments, and to contact me for any further statements, please visit the petition website.
http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/saveswg/blog

fellfromgrace

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
Every online game that I know states they reserve the right to shut down servers and stop service anytime they want. It's doubtful there is even any lawsuits being filed but even if they are it's a waste of time and money.

Move on people.

The way the game sounds before Sony ruined it sounded absolutely amazing but it's never coming back.

Best bet now is to look for public servers. Hell if all you petitioners got together you could just found your own private server.

omac1a

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2010
At what point does a company stop supporting a game? If it's not making money then what's wrong with shutting it down? I loved LOST and would love to still see it on TV, but I'm not going to sue Bad Robot for not making any more episodes. As for banning people about the petition thing, that's kind of a dick move.

Aren't there any 'rogue' servers out there where people could migrate to?

G

Ok some people just...dont...get it
1) The forum is a privately owned forum. Owned mind you by SOE, they can legally establish ANY rules they want, including censorship. There are NO rights to freedom of speech on that forum. Players/people can start up any number of blogs and or fan based web sites and complain all they want as loud as they want. Their ability to protest is not hindered. Just because they arent allowed to do so in someone elses house is not infringement on their freedoms of speech.

2) Sue SOE all you want..it wont go anywhere, all the protesters up in arms and wanting to sue SOE for SWG being shut down is silly to say the least. SOE has no RIGHTS to keep the game open if LucasArts says NAY. Is everyone conveniently forgetting that SOE has a CONTRACT with LucasArts, and that LA has always maintained the right to pull that plug should they so desire. Guess what? They DESIRE! SOE has no recourse, hence suing SOE is a waste of time and effort since its LA that has pulled the plug on the rights to use their material. LA is under no OBLIGATION whatsoever to be FORCED to provide their content to people they dont want to have or to use it and to assume they should it ludicrous. Get over it people..its a trash game lauded by the rest of the gaming world as such. It doesnt BELONG to any of the players, it is the sole property of SOE who ONLY has the right to support it via agreement with LA. LA pulled their permission. End of story..game over.

"This isnt the game your looking for.....move along"

seller417

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2010
I would be interested in a free server...if anyone knows of one (with game play prior to '05) plz post a link. That game was really fun when it 1st launched.

Hatecrime69

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2008
there are still people playing after the whole 'combat upgrade' fiasco? You'd think they'd all be drooling over bioware's star wars mmo and not give a damn about sony's 'I don't care' attempt at a star wars mmo

bourgeoisdude

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
"Naturally the lawsuit won't stand up in court thanks to every single player agreeing to the company's end-user license agreement. Not only does the company have every right to close the MMORPG, but the right to kick troublemakers off its forums. Still, the lawsuit isn't surprising..."

What the crap is wrong with people nowadays! It's a bunch of adults acting like kids when their parents take their toys from them. I'm so tired of the "me" generation--it is literally making me sick to my stomach.

NO ONE promised it would last forever. It's their game and they can shut it down if they want to. And now players are surprised that after years of complaints about SWG from fans, mixed with the enthusiasm for the upcoming SWTOR, Sony "suddenly" announced they were dropping support for SWG?

Doodoodoodoo doodoodoodoo...

ProDigit10

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2010
That's what you're going to get when you're making everything online and cloud!
People end up having nothing in the end, while I at least still have a working CD ROM of a PC game I purchased 10 years ago!

G

Except, those forums aren't public, they are owned by the company and they can do whatever they want? Ignorant people complaining about censorship when they have no idea what they are talking about is what bothers me.

You want to bitch and moan about the game closing? Do it in private, doing so on SWG forums is basically going into someones house and telling them off, then when they kick you out, you try to sue them. Makes no sense.

learn2beajournalist

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011
There is no lawsuit. If you had actually read the VentureBeat article before writing this link bait.

From VentureBeat: A number of Star Wars Galaxies players have written to VentureBeat and said they want to file a lawsuit against Sony Online Entertainment. But there’s zero chance that will happen.

They "WANT" to file a lawsuit. Someone needs a crash course in journalism.

techguy911

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
The people that want it closed far exceed the ones that don't because of the CU and changes afterwards more players quit than total players that joined or played the game since.
I was one of those and i know 50 personally they ruined a great game at expense of loosing a huge player base it deserves to be shut down, maybe swgemu will get off the ground since they won't have sony breathing down their necks.

DawnTreader

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2009
HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

these people have no idea how a business works.

f-14

Distinguished
don't you just love the cloud!
i know it's only technically a cloud, but i hate online games because of this b.s. and refuse to play them if you have to pay for it.
this is where hackers would be considered gods if they hacked SOE's servers and kept the game hidden from SOE within Star Wars: The Old Republic servers and kept the game alive, but no, they choose to steal personal info from all the gamers instead and thus live a life of condemnation. how's that for lulz and anonymity. worthless hackers can't do anything right, even the government is more competent then they are.

G

Just play World of Warcraft and get over SWG. it was crap when it came out, its crap in 2005 before the CU upgrade, and now, big surprise, its ending. Crap Crap Crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.