Sign in with
Your question

Ethernet Connection Dropping Randomly while internet is still working

Last response: in Windows 7
November 17, 2010 1:42:46 AM

I am currently connected to my university's internet via ethernet connection in my dorm.

The problem is that randomly the connection will drop randomly, which is very frustration if I am streaming something or in the middle of an online game. I know that the internet is still working, because my friend's laptop is still working when this happens.

I find that it fixes the problem temporarily if I disable my networking controller and then re-enable it in the device manager.

I have made sure that the IPV 4 and IPV6 have the addresses and DNS obtained automatically and turned off the options on my network controllers that allows the computer to turn them off to save power.

When the connection craps out, I hover my mouse over the connection in the system tray and it still says the name of the university's connection, but underneath it says no internet access. I have also noticed that the system try icon randomly switches inbetween the symbol for ethernet (the little computer monitor) and the bars for when you are using wireless, but no matter which it is, it always has a red "X" over it which is confusing, that is whether it is or isn't connected to the internet.

I have no idea what is wrong so any help would be greatly appreciated. I am going to update my motherboard's drivers quick to see if that solves the problem and if it does, I will post back here.

I am running Windows 7, 64 bit, and my motherboard is the Nvidia 790i.
a b $ Windows 7
November 17, 2010 2:43:54 AM

Yes, I was going to suggest updating the drivers to see if that solves the issue. Let us know how it goes.
m
l
November 17, 2010 2:53:46 AM

+1 to the above, update drivers. If that does not work, you might look at the network cord, try a different one, could have a short in yours. Also, if these options do not work, try getting a pci NIC card, you can get a cheap 100 mb card for15-20 bucks.
m
l
November 18, 2010 5:08:25 AM

buwish said:
Yes, I was going to suggest updating the drivers to see if that solves the issue. Let us know how it goes.

Seems to have solved the problem. :) 
m
l
!