NV40 > R420 12,000+ 3dmark03 score, twice as fast as my 98..

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

"rms" <rsquires@flashREMOVE.net> wrote in message

> http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=15169
>
> rms

I'll wait to see the benchmarks for the released version of the R420 and
the NV40, but it's both encouraging and not a surprise that these two
GPU's will pull in terrific benchmark numbers compared to anything
available today. Chances are that I will wait for a product refresh to
happen around Christmas and hope to pick up the first-gen R420 or NV40
at half their initial release price.

"maniac" <maniac@spam.sux.chello.pl> wrote in message
> rms <rsquires@flashREMOVE.net> nie ma racji, ale pisze, ¿e:
>
> > http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=15169
>
> Yeah sure... NV40 just rendered wire frames only. Or there was no
textures.

> --
> maniac
> maniac(at)chello.pl
> http://www.tweak.pl/ Staff

Fortunately, or unfortunately, this speculation on preproduction
boards, means nothing about how a board we can actually buy
will perform.

Luck;
Ken

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

On Mon, 5 Apr 2004 16:54:37 -0500, "Ken Maltby"
<kmaltby@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>"maniac" <maniac@spam.sux.chello.pl> wrote in message
>> rms <rsquires@flashREMOVE.net> nie ma racji, ale pisze, ¿e:
>>
>> > http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=15169
>>
>> Yeah sure... NV40 just rendered wire frames only. Or there was no
>textures.
>>
>> --
>> maniac
>> maniac(at)chello.pl
>> http://www.tweak.pl/ Staff
>
> Fortunately, or unfortunately, this speculation on preproduction
>boards, means nothing about how a board we can actually buy
>will perform.
>
>Luck;
> Ken

Will this Vboard come out with ddr3 cause in this case it will come
out only in 2006 so...

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

If a 5950U is $400+, what will one of the "twice as fast" boards cost?

MIKE

On Tue, 6 Apr 2004 07:11:04 -0500, "Mike B" <mikebutler33@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>If a 5950U is $400+, what will one of the "twice as fast" boards cost?

~ $500, at initial release.

It is a matter of profit-margin and what the "enthusiast"market will
bear, not silicon/board manufacturing costs. Prices above $500
cause even "foaming-at-the-mouth" enthusiasts to think twice
before opening their pocket-books.

John Lewis

>MIKE
>
>"NightSky 421" <nightsky421@no-mail-please.com> wrote in message
>> "rms" <rsquires@flashREMOVE.net> wrote in message
>> >
>> > http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=15169
>> >
>> > rms
>> >

>> I'll wait to see the benchmarks for the released version of the R420 and
>> the NV40, but it's both encouraging and not a surprise that these two
>> GPU's will pull in terrific benchmark numbers compared to anything
>> available today. Chances are that I will wait for a product refresh to
>> happen around Christmas and hope to pick up the first-gen R420 or NV40
>> at half their initial release price.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

more proof of how GPU-depedenent 3DMark03 is.

minotaur

Ken Maltby wrote:
> "maniac" <maniac@spam.sux.chello.pl> wrote in message
>
>>rms <rsquires@flashREMOVE.net> nie ma racji, ale pisze, ¿e:
>>

>>>http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=15169
>>
>>Yeah sure... NV40 just rendered wire frames only. Or there was no
>
> textures.
>
>>--
>>maniac
>>maniac(at)chello.pl
>>http://www.tweak.pl/ Staff
>

> Fortunately, or unfortunately, this speculation on preproduction
> boards, means nothing about how a board we can actually buy
> will perform.
>
> Luck;
> Ken

Remember the speculation on the FX? I hope it pans out the same LOL

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

On Mon, 05 Apr 2004 21:09:01 GMT, "rms" <rsquires@flashREMOVE.net>
wrote:

>http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=15169
>
>rms

I wouldn't worry about it...

www.anandtech.com has done a good review of the Nvidia 6800

Its about 30~60% faster than the 9800Pro... The ATI X800 isn't out
yet...

Nvidia can't claim VICTORY yet... product isn't shipping yet... and
with the R420 so close to release... many people who blow $500 on a
video card will wait a few weeks before deciding.

And how many games really bring down their 9800Pros and 5900Ultras?

The 8600 is HUGE and requires a 550watt PSU in your computer...

If the ATI X800 still powers fine with your 300watt PSUs like the 9800
- then even if its 5% slower (we don't know) it will get more sales.

Remember... a HUGE video card like the 6800 with TWO power connectors
is also dumping a LOT OF HEAT into your system,

When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!

I wouldn't worry about it...

www.anandtech.com has done a good review of the Nvidia 6800

Its about 30~60% faster than the 9800Pro... The ATI X800 isn't out
yet...

Nvidia can't claim VICTORY yet... product isn't shipping yet... and
with the R420 so close to release... many people who blow $500 on a
video card will wait a few weeks before deciding.

And how many games really bring down their 9800Pros and 5900Ultras?

The 8600 is HUGE and requires a 550watt PSU in your computer...

If the ATI X800 still powers fine with your 300watt PSUs like the 9800
- then even if its 5% slower (we don't know) it will get more sales.

Remember... a HUGE video card like the 6800 with TWO power connectors
is also dumping a LOT OF HEAT into your system,

When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

550watt PS,really. where did you read that?

On 4/15/2004 7:03 PM Courseyauto brightened our day with:

Mein gott that's a terrible quoting/reply system you've got there at aol.

--
"Cocaine's a hell of a drug" - Rick James

Steve [Inglo]

Wow! Twice as fast.... thanks to buggy/tweaked beta drivers.
Strange that NVidia's driver bugs always seem to help rather than hurt
their 3DMark performance.

Here is an excerpt from a DriverHeaven article:

"Its very clear to me that the 6800Ultra is not rendering the
reference image as desired by 3Dmark, regardless of any performance
impact and therefore isnt comparable to any other card. This in result
is no different to the optimisations in previous drivers which
Futuremark have frowned upon. "

You can read more here:
http://www.driverheaven.net/articles/driverIQ/index.htm

Just for the record, I'm not an ATI fanboy. I own cards by both ATI &
NVidia, and I'll be first in line to purchase the BEST next-gen
card... I just wish that NVidia would stop cheating with tweaked
drivers and misleading comparisons (e.g. Farcry pixel shaders).

--
James Frith j.frith@comcast.net