Which upgrades?

Hello,

I have a PIII 800 intel system, Asus cuv4x 4agp motherboard, 520+mb ram,
Asus Geforce4Ti 128mb card, Win2k, SB Live card, 40G HD 7200rpm 8mb cache,
15inch Sony trinitron monitor, T1 connection.

I don't have the money yet to get a whole new system; but I thought of doing
an upgrade on my 4 year old processor, motherboard and ram - maybe not
getting a top end P4 but something that can power the current games I play
like Medieval Total War, battlefield1942, mechcommander2, homeworld2 etc..

They suffer from weak framerates - the screen gets a bit slow, when multiple
targets appear.

Next year, I'll be upgrading to a whole new system. And I'll be using the
old one as a secondary system for work and networking.

What sort of P4 and motherboard should I get?

Cheers,

Crimson

_____________________________
"Modern literature masterpieces"
http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail64.html

"Crimson" <pleasesendnospamatallperiod_crimson_castle@hotmail.com> wrote in
message news:aawcc.500$8P2.295@news-server.bigpond.net.au...
> Hello,
>
> I have a PIII 800 intel system, Asus cuv4x 4agp motherboard, 520+mb ram,
> Asus Geforce4Ti 128mb card, Win2k, SB Live card, 40G HD 7200rpm 8mb cache,
> 15inch Sony trinitron monitor, T1 connection.
>
> I don't have the money yet to get a whole new system; but I thought of
doing
> an upgrade on my 4 year old processor, motherboard and ram - maybe not
> getting a top end P4 but something that can power the current games I play
> like Medieval Total War, battlefield1942, mechcommander2, homeworld2 etc..
>
> They suffer from weak framerates - the screen gets a bit slow, when
multiple
> targets appear.
>
> Next year, I'll be upgrading to a whole new system. And I'll be using the
> old one as a secondary system for work and networking.
>
> What sort of P4 and motherboard should I get?

Couple of options...

P4 2.4C, any board with an i865 chipset, and a couple of sticks of PC400
DDR...

or... for less money...

AXP2500+, any nforce2 board (shuttle makes a nice one at a good price), and
the same memory.

A mobile AXP2500+ runs about $100USD, the shuttle AN35Ultra is under
$100USD, pump up the FSB on the Mobile AXP2500+ to 400Mhz (200Mhz SDR) and
you get AXP3200+ peformance on the cheap.

The ti4200 keeps you in the game for the moment, save your pennies for a
FX5700 later on, and you have a pretty decent box...

Tim

> I have a PIII 800 intel system, Asus cuv4x 4agp motherboard, 520+mb ram,
> Asus Geforce4Ti 128mb card, Win2k, SB Live card, 40G HD 7200rpm 8mb cache,
> 15inch Sony trinitron monitor, T1 connection.

I should have mentioned that the ASUS Geforce4Ti is a Ti4800 V9480 model.

I also have a secondary HD which I use for data storage.

The system runs OK but for Medieval Total War, Mechcommander2, Homeworld2 -
the graphics go slow and become jerky when multiple units appear. I assume
its a processor issue and will look to upgrade the 4 year old motherboard
and chip - just wondering whats a good combo to put inside...

Next year I'll get a whole new system.