external graphics card

Considering the evolution of the graphics card.... How soon can we expect to
see external graphic cards with its own seperate power supply and aircon
cooling unit.>????

--
_____________________________
"Modern literature masterpieces"

"Crimson" <pleasesendnospamatallperiod_crimson_castle@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<xiMcc.1751$8P2.1341@news-server.bigpond.net.au>...
> Considering the evolution of the graphics card.... How soon can we expect to
> see external graphic cards with its own seperate power supply and aircon
> cooling unit.>????

It's a nice idea..definitly since videocards run very hot lately and
cooling them is....

There is one problem... latency.... on nowadays videocards they try to
keep the lines of communication as short as possible... because how
lower the latency how better the card can perform.

So what is your idea? To battle the latency of External Boxing.

I know that Firewire is capable of PUMPING allot of information over
it's line and fast..but..its not a harddisk we speak about... it's a
videocard... there is a reason why it's communication lines are so
short .....

Crimson wrote:
> Considering the evolution of the graphics card.... How soon can we expect to
> see external graphic cards with its own seperate power supply and aircon
> cooling unit.>????

I think there already is such a thing - go to quantum3d.com......

> I know that Firewire is capable of PUMPING allot of information over
> it's line and fast..but..its not a harddisk we speak about... it's a
> videocard... there is a reason why it's communication lines are so
> short .....

I don't know much about the computer mechanics. I'm just speculating about
the direction of the design - I guess if the comms aspect was somehow
improved - and standarized - it might make work

If gamers think it Then we should be designing cards that do it.