Dabs Aopen FX5900 has dissapeared... D'Oh!

I bought one of the Aopen FX5900 128MB cards from Dabs about a month ago for
£140. I noticed they dropped to £129 last week. Mine overlcoked easily to
59050 uoltra speeds out of the box and plays Far Cry at "Very High" settings
easily so I just went to order one for my son's PC and they have dissapeared
from the product listing.

Does anyone know if they have been discontinued and replaced with another
model or do you know of another supplier?

Thanks,
Gra.

On Thu, 8 Apr 2004 17:22:20 +0100, "The Old Man" <spam@spam.com>
wrote:

>I bought one of the Aopen FX5900 128MB cards from Dabs about a month ago for
>£140. I noticed they dropped to £129 last week. Mine overlcoked easily to
>59050 uoltra speeds out of the box and plays Far Cry at "Very High" settings
>easily so I just went to order one for my son's PC and they have dissapeared
>from the product listing.
>
>Does anyone know if they have been discontinued and replaced with another
>model or do you know of another supplier?

Out of stock. Never to be replaced. Value for money for too good....
Manufacturers have moved to the much-cheaper-to-produce XT versions.
Same here in the US. Any remaining 5900nU have inflated prices.

You will probably have to resign yourself to a 5900XT....

Beware, there are many 5900XT in 5900 non-XT clothing ( nomenclature )
Check the specs. If there are no memory-clock specs, suspect XT.
Aopen 5900 was the only exception to that rule; however, the giveaway
that the Aopen 5900 was a genuine non-Ultra was the 5900-reference
heat-sink design. All the XT versions have 1-slot-high GPU heat-sinks
and many have no memory-heatsinks.

john Lewis

> On Thu, 8 Apr 2004 17:22:20 +0100, "The Old Man" <spam@spam.com>
> wrote:
>
> >I bought one of the Aopen FX5900 128MB cards from Dabs about a month ago
for
> >£140. I noticed they dropped to £129 last week. Mine overlcoked easily to
> >59050 uoltra speeds out of the box and plays Far Cry at "Very High"
settings
> >easily so I just went to order one for my son's PC and they have
dissapeared
> >from the product listing.
> >
> >Does anyone know if they have been discontinued and replaced with another
> >model or do you know of another supplier?
> >

> Out of stock. Never to be replaced. Value for money for too good....
> Manufacturers have moved to the much-cheaper-to-produce XT versions.
> Same here in the US. Any remaining 5900nU have inflated prices.
>
> You will probably have to resign yourself to a 5900XT....
>
> Beware, there are many 5900XT in 5900 non-XT clothing ( nomenclature )
> Check the specs. If there are no memory-clock specs, suspect XT.
> Aopen 5900 was the only exception to that rule; however, the giveaway
> that the Aopen 5900 was a genuine non-Ultra was the 5900-reference
> heat-sink design. All the XT versions have 1-slot-high GPU heat-sinks
> and many have no memory-heatsinks.
>
> john Lewis
>

> >Thanks,
> >Gra.

Thanks John for that rather gloomy news!

On Fri, 9 Apr 2004 12:14:17 +0100, "The Old Man" <spam@spam.com>
wrote:

>"John Lewis" <john.dsl@verizon.net> wrote in message
>> On Thu, 8 Apr 2004 17:22:20 +0100, "The Old Man" <spam@spam.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >I bought one of the Aopen FX5900 128MB cards from Dabs about a month ago
>for
>> >£140. I noticed they dropped to £129 last week. Mine overlcoked easily to
>> >59050 uoltra speeds out of the box and plays Far Cry at "Very High"
>settings
>> >easily so I just went to order one for my son's PC and they have
>dissapeared
>> >from the product listing.
>> >
>> >Does anyone know if they have been discontinued and replaced with another
>> >model or do you know of another supplier?
>> >

>> Out of stock. Never to be replaced. Value for money for too good....
>> Manufacturers have moved to the much-cheaper-to-produce XT versions.
>> Same here in the US. Any remaining 5900nU have inflated prices.
>>
>> You will probably have to resign yourself to a 5900XT....
>>
>> Beware, there are many 5900XT in 5900 non-XT clothing ( nomenclature )
>> Check the specs. If there are no memory-clock specs, suspect XT.
>> Aopen 5900 was the only exception to that rule; however, the giveaway
>> that the Aopen 5900 was a genuine non-Ultra was the 5900-reference
>> heat-sink design. All the XT versions have 1-slot-high GPU heat-sinks
>> and many have no memory-heatsinks.
>>
>> john Lewis
>>

>> >Thanks,
>> >Gra.
>> >

>Thanks John for that rather gloomy news!

Since I was aware of the shortage in the US a few weeks ago and
people looking for genuine FX5900 ( I have 2 of them already in 2 of
my machines) , for curiosity I started poking around in Google and
found the Aopen at Dabs -- however, it was not immediately obvious
that it was a genuine 5900 and the Aopen website did not spec the
memory speed. However, the picture of the product was the giveaway, so
I generated a posting to this newsgroup pointing to Dabs @ 128 pounds
and asking if anybody had one already and could they confirm
my suspicion. One person did.

At the time of my posting Dabs had about 60 in stock... maybe
it is due to my posting that they have run out now ? Sorry about
that... shall I write to Dabs and ask for a sales commission ?

If I spot a genuine 5900nU elsewhere at a reasonable price
(UK or US) I will post again, but I think that the pickings will
be slim.

BTW, since the NV40 and R420 are to be announced this month,
and shipping before Summer, expect to see the price of 5900 Ultra
and 5950 Ultra fall rapidly during the Summer months.

John Lewis

> On Fri, 9 Apr 2004 12:14:17 +0100, "The Old Man" <spam@spam.com>
> wrote:
>

> >"John Lewis" <john.dsl@verizon.net> wrote in message

> >for
> >settings
> >dissapeared

> >> Out of stock. Never to be replaced. Value for money for too good....
> >> Manufacturers have moved to the much-cheaper-to-produce XT versions.
> >> Same here in the US. Any remaining 5900nU have inflated prices.
> >>
> >> You will probably have to resign yourself to a 5900XT....
> >>
> >> Beware, there are many 5900XT in 5900 non-XT clothing ( nomenclature )
> >> Check the specs. If there are no memory-clock specs, suspect XT.
> >> Aopen 5900 was the only exception to that rule; however, the giveaway
> >> that the Aopen 5900 was a genuine non-Ultra was the 5900-reference
> >> heat-sink design. All the XT versions have 1-slot-high GPU heat-sinks
> >> and many have no memory-heatsinks.
> >>
> >> john Lewis

> >Thanks John for that rather gloomy news!
> >

> Since I was aware of the shortage in the US a few weeks ago and
> people looking for genuine FX5900 ( I have 2 of them already in 2 of
> my machines) , for curiosity I started poking around in Google and
> found the Aopen at Dabs -- however, it was not immediately obvious
> that it was a genuine 5900 and the Aopen website did not spec the
> memory speed. However, the picture of the product was the giveaway, so
> I generated a posting to this newsgroup pointing to Dabs @ 128 pounds
> and asking if anybody had one already and could they confirm
> my suspicion. One person did.
>
> At the time of my posting Dabs had about 60 in stock... maybe
> it is due to my posting that they have run out now ? Sorry about
> that... shall I write to Dabs and ask for a sales commission ?
>
> If I spot a genuine 5900nU elsewhere at a reasonable price
> (UK or US) I will post again, but I think that the pickings will
> be slim.
>
> BTW, since the NV40 and R420 are to be announced this month,
> and shipping before Summer, expect to see the price of 5900 Ultra
> and 5950 Ultra fall rapidly during the Summer months.
>
> John Lewis

Thanks John, the 5900 Aopen sure was a bargain even at the orginal £145!
Looking forward to the next announcements for the GeForce 6800 Ultra and
GeForce 6800!

Regards,
Graha,