Is my card an XT or not?

Hi,
After a short trip to the World of ATI ( card blew up) i am back in the
welcome folds of nvidia, i just got a Club 3d Geforce FX 5900 XT, but in my
system properties and aida 32 it is shown as a "normal" 5900, my question
therefore is which is it?

regards
Rob

sleepy

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2001

check this chart
http://www.tomshardware.com/graphic/20031229/index.html
and you'll see a 5900XT runs at 300/700 - just use any overclocking program
(coolbits will do) to check current speeds and you don't need to do any
tampering with your card (and risking warranty).

"RobundConny" <vodkadrinkers@t-online.de> wrote in message
> Hi,
> After a short trip to the World of ATI ( card blew up) i am back in the
> welcome folds of nvidia, i just got a Club 3d Geforce FX 5900 XT, but in
my
> system properties and aida 32 it is shown as a "normal" 5900, my question
> therefore is which is it?
>
> regards
> Rob

teqguy

RobundConny wrote:

> Hi,
> After a short trip to the World of ATI ( card blew up) i am back in
> the welcome folds of nvidia, i just got a Club 3d Geforce FX 5900 XT,
> but in my system properties and aida 32 it is shown as a "normal"
> 5900, my question therefore is which is it?
>
> regards
> Rob

The driver's might be displaying a normal 5900. If you want to be
sure, pull out the card, remove the heatsink, wipe off the thermal
grease, and check in the corner of the card.

It'll say plain and clear whether it's an XT or not.

When you go to re-apply the heatsink, I suggest replacing the thermal
grease you wiped off with some XTC or Arctic Silver 5, you'll get
significantly lower temps.

On Thu, 8 Apr 2004 19:18:40 +0200, "RobundConny"
<vodkadrinkers@t-online.de> wrote:

>Hi,
>After a short trip to the World of ATI ( card blew up) i am back in the
>welcome folds of nvidia, i just got a Club 3d Geforce FX 5900 XT, but in my
>system properties and aida 32 it is shown as a "normal" 5900, my question
>therefore is which is it?

the GPU on a 5900 and a 5900XT are functionally identical.

Load Coolbits.reg and take a look at the default clock specs
in the driver UI (visible after loading coolbits).

In 3D mode the defaults are as follows:-

Genuine 5900 : GPU:400MHz; Memory 850MHz
5900XT: GPU 390/400MHz; Memory: 700MHz.

If you have an XT, you can of course try overclocking, but do not
overclock memory without adding heatsinks if they are not already
present. You can irreversibly damage the memory by overheating.
If the parts happen to have good timing margins, they may get
thermally damaged before any video artifacts show.

John Lewis

>regards
>Rob

teqguy

John Lewis wrote:

> On Thu, 8 Apr 2004 19:18:40 +0200, "RobundConny"
> <vodkadrinkers@t-online.de> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > After a short trip to the World of ATI ( card blew up) i am back in
> > the welcome folds of nvidia, i just got a Club 3d Geforce FX 5900
> > XT, but in my system properties and aida 32 it is shown as a
> > "normal" 5900, my question therefore is which is it?
> >

> the GPU on a 5900 and a 5900XT are functionally identical.
>
> Load Coolbits.reg and take a look at the default clock specs
> in the driver UI (visible after loading coolbits).
>
> In 3D mode the defaults are as follows:-
>
> Genuine 5900 : GPU:400MHz; Memory 850MHz
> 5900XT: GPU 390/400MHz; Memory: 700MHz.
>
> If you have an XT, you can of course try overclocking, but do not
> overclock memory without adding heatsinks if they are not already
> present. You can irreversibly damage the memory by overheating.
> If the parts happen to have good timing margins, they may get
> thermally damaged before any video artifacts show.
>
> John Lewis
>
> > regards
> > Rob

Although the memory doesn't have a failsafe method of either restarting
the system or slowing down it's clock when the temps get too high, I've
never had an issue with overclocking the memory too far and it damaging
anything.

You just don't want to leave it overclocked if it won't work right...
not without getting some viable cooling at least.

ALSO! Keep in mind: Your card's temps raise when it's stressed in 3D
applications and using video overlay, even when the card isn't
overclocked.

So the best method of getting an accurate overclock is running a 3D
application and gradually overclocking as the card starts to heat up.

The best way to do this is to run the Nvidia demos in window mode at
480x320, so that you can adjust the clock speed without leaving the
application. To do this, go to the folder of the demo, the config
should be in the "bin" folder.

The best and probably quickest way to determine which card it is would
probably be to get Nvidia X-bios Editor and open your current BIOS, it
will tell you all the information you need to know:

www.guru3d.com/xbios