Flashing the 5900XT to a 5950U

I'm sure someone can give me some pointers here...

I'm looking to flash my Leadtek 5900XT with the Leadtek A380 bios. My
XT does have the 2.2ns ram (hynix brand). I used the Leadtek/Winfox
utility to read and save my A350 bios, but when I open the A380 bios,
there's no button to flash it to the card. Anyone ever done it with
that app?

With the A380 flash, the DOS stuff came with it... but if I can do it
in XP with the Leadtek utility, I'd rather do so.

Thanks!

morgan

Out of curiosity why would you want to do this, even if it doesn't fup the
card up what can be gained that can't be done by increasing the overclocking
speed.
Soft modding or flashing an ATI card I could understand as it would enable
features disabled to gain a speed increase but does this also apply to what
you want to do or would it just enable the card to be recognised as being a
different model...?

--
Regards

Morgan

No more noisy hard drive for me...

www.flyinglizard.freeserve.co.uk

Morgan wrote:
> Out of curiosity why would you want to do this, even if it doesn't
> fup the card up what can be gained that can't be done by increasing
> the overclocking speed.
> Soft modding or flashing an ATI card I could understand as it would
> enable features disabled to gain a speed increase but does this also
> apply to what you want to do or would it just enable the card to be
> recognised as being a different model...?

The faster bios upp's the core voltage .1v and the memory timings are looser
enabling higher top speeds. Even with 2.2ns ram on an XT I still wouldn't
do it though. I did it to my 5900nu though without problems.

On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 00:35:19 -0400, Judge <> wrote:

>I'm sure someone can give me some pointers here...
>
>I'm looking to flash my Leadtek 5900XT with the Leadtek A380 bios. My
>XT does have the 2.2ns ram (hynix brand). I used the Leadtek/Winfox
>utility to read and save my A350 bios, but when I open the A380 bios,
>there's no button to flash it to the card. Anyone ever done it with
>that app?
>
>With the A380 flash, the DOS stuff came with it... but if I can do it
>in XP with the Leadtek utility, I'd rather do so.
>
>Thanks!

It can't be done the GPU is a Faulty one selected to run at low speeds..

Plus no Ram heat sinks fitted..

ITS A BIG NO...

This isn't true, the 5950 bios increases voltage to the GPU and the RAM and
adding heatsinks to the memory is easily done.

Go to www.nvnews.net and read in the forums there, all the info on
converting the 5900XT to 5950 Ultra's is there.

RF

<puss@purrpurr.com> wrote in message
> On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 00:35:19 -0400, Judge <> wrote:
>
> >I'm sure someone can give me some pointers here...
> >
> >I'm looking to flash my Leadtek 5900XT with the Leadtek A380 bios. My
> >XT does have the 2.2ns ram (hynix brand). I used the Leadtek/Winfox
> >utility to read and save my A350 bios, but when I open the A380 bios,
> >there's no button to flash it to the card. Anyone ever done it with
> >that app?
> >
> >With the A380 flash, the DOS stuff came with it... but if I can do it
> >in XP with the Leadtek utility, I'd rather do so.
> >
> >Thanks!
>

> It can't be done the GPU is a Faulty one selected to run at low speeds..
>
> Plus no Ram heat sinks fitted..
>
> ITS A BIG NO...

--------------------------
> Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments
that take our breath away. (George Carlin)

graham

Phew took ages reading all the threads at nvnews.net - fascinating stuff.
The biggest suprise was the fact(?) that the NV38 is actually an NV35 . I
assume it is analogous to the way that CPU makers rate their chip speeds
differently - make 'em all the same but then test and rate the speeds
accordiing to results. It certainly seems that most who have flashed to 5950
are very happy with the results, though there are some exceptions such as
the loss of TV-out. Most however have flashed 5900 non-ultra to 5950 - the
5900XT is more problematic due to the 2.8ns memory. If you have 2.2ns memory
though then it should work - just need to get some heatsinks for the
memory..

On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 20:09:58 +0100, "Graham" <gts123@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>Phew took ages reading all the threads at nvnews.net - fascinating stuff.
>The biggest suprise was the fact(?) that the NV38 is actually an NV35 . I
>assume it is analogous to the way that CPU makers rate their chip speeds
>differently - make 'em all the same but then test and rate the speeds
>accordiing to results. It certainly seems that most who have flashed to 5950
>are very happy with the results, though there are some exceptions such as
>the loss of TV-out. Most however have flashed 5900 non-ultra to 5950 - the
>5900XT is more problematic due to the 2.8ns memory. If you have 2.2ns memory
>though then it should work - just need to get some heatsinks for the
>memory..

And a few weeks later the card burns out, it does not have the cooling to run
at that speed..

puss@purrpurr.com wrote:
> On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 20:09:58 +0100, "Graham" <gts123@ntlworld.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Phew took ages reading all the threads at nvnews.net - fascinating
>> stuff. The biggest suprise was the fact(?) that the NV38 is actually
>> an NV35 . I assume it is analogous to the way that CPU makers rate
>> their chip speeds differently - make 'em all the same but then test
>> and rate the speeds accordiing to results. It certainly seems that
>> most who have flashed to 5950 are very happy with the results,
>> though there are some exceptions such as the loss of TV-out. Most
>> however have flashed 5900 non-ultra to 5950 - the 5900XT is more
>> problematic due to the 2.8ns memory. If you have 2.2ns memory though
>> then it should work - just need to get some heatsinks for the
>> memory..
>

> And a few weeks later the card burns out, it does not have the
> cooling to run
> at that speed..

Shutup fool