nVidia GF4 Ti4200 Corrupted ??

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

Hey,
I've had this problem for about a month now but before then the card has
been fine. I can't remember anything I did that would cause it to be
corrupted, no driver updates or anything. So heres the story:

Whenever I load my computer, when its botting up or in DOS mode there is
scrambled text all over the shop, like a white matrix code : - )
When playing video's or certain games the computer freezes or doesnt display
anything (shows black)
Other times my computer still runs however my monitor turns off and wont
respond.
Numerous images displayed on Websites and in the XP environment itself have
blue or orange lines running down them
Certain games textures are all weird

but most importantly it crashes and its a bad crash any file that has been
modified recently gets lost so thats like downloads ! !
Also most of my preferences get deleted (MSN messenger display pics and
backgrounds get lost, cookies sometimes etc.)

I've updated my drivers to the latest version, however once updated when it
reboots instead of showing the login screen it only shows a blue background
and monitor flickers on and off, so i start in safe mode and roll back my
drivers to the initial one i got with the card and that works fine except
for the above problems ! !

Sometimes after crashes winxp displays an error saying it is the GF4 Ti4200
graphic drivers that are causing the instability but i downloaded them from
the nvidia site : - (

Do you think my GFX card is corrupted? How come it worked fine for about 6
months then. . .

Final Note: Too run my computer through its onboard video card do I have o
actually take out the nVidia card because I try to just disable it and
change the monitor cable and it doesnt respond (I'm relucant to open up
tower because last time my monitor turned off forever so i took it to a
techy and he said he fixed gfx problem but he obviously didnt0

Thanks a whole heap for reading this.

BigJim

the boot up in dos is the sign that the card is bad
"Steve" <dont_spam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hey,
> I've had this problem for about a month now but before then the card has
> been fine. I can't remember anything I did that would cause it to be
> corrupted, no driver updates or anything. So heres the story:
>
> Whenever I load my computer, when its botting up or in DOS mode there is
> scrambled text all over the shop, like a white matrix code : - )
> When playing video's or certain games the computer freezes or doesnt
display
> anything (shows black)
> Other times my computer still runs however my monitor turns off and wont
> respond.
> Numerous images displayed on Websites and in the XP environment itself
have
> blue or orange lines running down them
> Certain games textures are all weird
>
> but most importantly it crashes and its a bad crash any file that has been
> modified recently gets lost so thats like downloads ! !
> Also most of my preferences get deleted (MSN messenger display pics and
> backgrounds get lost, cookies sometimes etc.)
>
> I've updated my drivers to the latest version, however once updated when
it
> reboots instead of showing the login screen it only shows a blue
background
> and monitor flickers on and off, so i start in safe mode and roll back my
> drivers to the initial one i got with the card and that works fine except
> for the above problems ! !
>
> Sometimes after crashes winxp displays an error saying it is the GF4
Ti4200
> graphic drivers that are causing the instability but i downloaded them
from
> the nvidia site : - (
>
> Do you think my GFX card is corrupted? How come it worked fine for about 6
> months then. . .
>
> Final Note: Too run my computer through its onboard video card do I have o
> actually take out the nVidia card because I try to just disable it and
> change the monitor cable and it doesnt respond (I'm relucant to open up
> tower because last time my monitor turned off forever so i took it to a
> techy and he said he fixed gfx problem but he obviously didnt0
>

> Thanks a whole heap for reading this.

sleepy

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2001

have you been overclocking the card ? has its fan stopped working ? if the
answer is no to both questions then look at the motherboard and PSU. try
opening the case and removing other cards to reduce power consumption - boot
up with just the graphics card and see if its better. check whether any of
the capacitors on the motherboard are domed.

Steve wrote:

> Hey,
> I've had this problem for about a month now but before then the card has
> been fine. I can't remember anything I did that would cause it to be
> corrupted, no driver updates or anything. So heres the story:
>
> Whenever I load my computer, when its botting up or in DOS mode there is
> scrambled text all over the shop, like a white matrix code : - )
> When playing video's or certain games the computer freezes or doesnt display
> anything (shows black)
> Other times my computer still runs however my monitor turns off and wont
> respond.
> Numerous images displayed on Websites and in the XP environment itself have
> blue or orange lines running down them
> Certain games textures are all weird
>
> but most importantly it crashes and its a bad crash any file that has been
> modified recently gets lost so thats like downloads ! !
> Also most of my preferences get deleted (MSN messenger display pics and
> backgrounds get lost, cookies sometimes etc.)
>
> I've updated my drivers to the latest version, however once updated when it
> reboots instead of showing the login screen it only shows a blue background
> and monitor flickers on and off, so i start in safe mode and roll back my
> drivers to the initial one i got with the card and that works fine except
> for the above problems ! !
>
> Sometimes after crashes winxp displays an error saying it is the GF4 Ti4200
> graphic drivers that are causing the instability but i downloaded them from
> the nvidia site : - (
>
> Do you think my GFX card is corrupted? How come it worked fine for about 6
> months then. . .
>
> Final Note: Too run my computer through its onboard video card do I have o
> actually take out the nVidia card because I try to just disable it and
> change the monitor cable and it doesnt respond (I'm relucant to open up
> tower because last time my monitor turned off forever so i took it to a
> techy and he said he fixed gfx problem but he obviously didnt0
>

> Thanks a whole heap for reading this.

The card may be bad (overheating probably), the computer power supply
inadequate, or the wrong drivers installed. Why don't you post some
details of your equipment?

Bingo

Hey guys,

Did anyone read about Gainward Ti 4200 problems.

http://forums.amdmb.com/showthread.php?s=1159571a83bf53d6e0d357b4850e9337&th
readid=166031&highlight=gainward

To me it seems that most of the manufacturers are using the same
standard NVidia design so were all the problems are coming.

Cheers.

"Steve" <dont_spam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hey,
> I've had this problem for about a month now but before then the card has
> been fine. I can't remember anything I did that would cause it to be
> corrupted, no driver updates or anything. So heres the story:
>
> Whenever I load my computer, when its botting up or in DOS mode there is
> scrambled text all over the shop, like a white matrix code : - )
> When playing video's or certain games the computer freezes or doesnt
display
> anything (shows black)
> Other times my computer still runs however my monitor turns off and wont
> respond.
> Numerous images displayed on Websites and in the XP environment itself
have
> blue or orange lines running down them
> Certain games textures are all weird
>
> but most importantly it crashes and its a bad crash any file that has been
> modified recently gets lost so thats like downloads ! !
> Also most of my preferences get deleted (MSN messenger display pics and
> backgrounds get lost, cookies sometimes etc.)
>
> I've updated my drivers to the latest version, however once updated when
it
> reboots instead of showing the login screen it only shows a blue
background
> and monitor flickers on and off, so i start in safe mode and roll back my
> drivers to the initial one i got with the card and that works fine except
> for the above problems ! !
>
> Sometimes after crashes winxp displays an error saying it is the GF4
Ti4200
> graphic drivers that are causing the instability but i downloaded them
from
> the nvidia site : - (
>
> Do you think my GFX card is corrupted? How come it worked fine for about 6
> months then. . .
>
> Final Note: Too run my computer through its onboard video card do I have o
> actually take out the nVidia card because I try to just disable it and
> change the monitor cable and it doesnt respond (I'm relucant to open up
> tower because last time my monitor turned off forever so i took it to a
> techy and he said he fixed gfx problem but he obviously didnt0
>

> Thanks a whole heap for reading this.

Your card is NOT stable with the latest 5x.xx drivers, which are for the FX
series cards. For stability with your older card use the 45.23 driver.

--
DaveW

"Steve" <dont_spam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hey,
> I've had this problem for about a month now but before then the card has
> been fine. I can't remember anything I did that would cause it to be
> corrupted, no driver updates or anything. So heres the story:
>
> Whenever I load my computer, when its botting up or in DOS mode there is
> scrambled text all over the shop, like a white matrix code : - )
> When playing video's or certain games the computer freezes or doesnt
display
> anything (shows black)
> Other times my computer still runs however my monitor turns off and wont
> respond.
> Numerous images displayed on Websites and in the XP environment itself
have
> blue or orange lines running down them
> Certain games textures are all weird
>
> but most importantly it crashes and its a bad crash any file that has been
> modified recently gets lost so thats like downloads ! !
> Also most of my preferences get deleted (MSN messenger display pics and
> backgrounds get lost, cookies sometimes etc.)
>
> I've updated my drivers to the latest version, however once updated when
it
> reboots instead of showing the login screen it only shows a blue
background
> and monitor flickers on and off, so i start in safe mode and roll back my
> drivers to the initial one i got with the card and that works fine except
> for the above problems ! !
>
> Sometimes after crashes winxp displays an error saying it is the GF4
Ti4200
> graphic drivers that are causing the instability but i downloaded them
from
> the nvidia site : - (
>
> Do you think my GFX card is corrupted? How come it worked fine for about 6
> months then. . .
>
> Final Note: Too run my computer through its onboard video card do I have o
> actually take out the nVidia card because I try to just disable it and
> change the monitor cable and it doesnt respond (I'm relucant to open up
> tower because last time my monitor turned off forever so i took it to a
> techy and he said he fixed gfx problem but he obviously didnt0
>

> Thanks a whole heap for reading this.

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

DaveW, installed 45.23 drivers, same issue. I was running 5x.xx as it
originally came with the card for a few months without hassles.

Sleepy, havent overclocked and fan is still running.

Rob, overheating may be an issue but it occurs as soon as I turn on my
computer in the morning, hence it would be at its coolest state then. I
didnt add any new hardware so it wuold be strange for the power supply to be
adequate one day and inadequate the next ??

System Specs:
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Home
Edition
CPU Type Intel Pentium 4A,
1800 MHz
Motherboard Name MSI MS-6533G (3 PCI, 1 AGP,
1 CNR, 2 DIMM, Audio, Video)
Motherboard Chipset SiS 650
System Memory 512 MB (DDR SDRAM)
Monitor ViewSonic E70-7
(24G022051102)

Video Adapter/3d Accelerator Properties:
Device Description NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti
4200 with AGP8X
Adapter String GeForce4 Ti 4200
with AGP8X
BIOS String Version
4.28.20.16.AC
Chip Type GeForce4 Ti 4200
with AGP8X
DAC Type Integrated RAMDAC
Installed Drivers nv4_disp
(6.14.10.4523 - nVIDIA Detonator 45.23)
Memory Size 128 MB

Graphics Processor Properties:
Video Adapter nVIDIA GeForce4 Ti
4200 with AGP8X
GPU Code Name NV28
PCI Device 10DE / 0281
Transistors 63 million
Process Technology 0.15u
Bus Type AGP
Memory Size 128 MB
GPU Clock 250 MHz
RAMDAC Clock 350 MHz
Pixel Pipelines 4
TMU Per Pipeline 2
Vertex Shaders 2 (v1.1)
Pixel Shaders 1 (v1.3)
DirectX Hardware Support DirectX v8.1
Pixel Fillrate 1000 MPixel/s
Texel Fillrate 2000 MTexel/s

Memory Bus Properties:
Bus Type DDR
Bus Width 128-bit
Real Clock 256 MHz (DDR)
Effective Clock 513 MHz
Bandwidth 8208 MB/s

Graphics Processor Manufacturer:
Company Name NVIDIA Corporation
Product Information
http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?PAGE=products
Driver Download
http://www.nvidia.com/drivers

nVIDIA Registers:
nv-100000 00000000
nv-100200 000F0003
nv-10020C 08000000
nv-101000 98C45187
nv-680500 00012502
nv-680504 00001301
nv-680570 00000000
nv-680574 00000000
nv-68057C 00000000

Current driver installed is 45.23 have tried the latest driver and the
original one that came with the CD. All same problem.

> Your card is NOT stable with the latest 5x.xx drivers, which are for the
FX
> series cards. For stability with your older card use the 45.23 driver.
>
> --
> DaveW
>

> "Steve" <dont_spam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Hey,
> > I've had this problem for about a month now but before then the card has
> > been fine. I can't remember anything I did that would cause it to be
> > corrupted, no driver updates or anything. So heres the story:
> >
> > Whenever I load my computer, when its botting up or in DOS mode there is
> > scrambled text all over the shop, like a white matrix code : - )
> > When playing video's or certain games the computer freezes or doesnt
> display
> > anything (shows black)
> > Other times my computer still runs however my monitor turns off and wont
> > respond.
> > Numerous images displayed on Websites and in the XP environment itself
> have
> > blue or orange lines running down them
> > Certain games textures are all weird
> >
> > but most importantly it crashes and its a bad crash any file that has
been
> > modified recently gets lost so thats like downloads ! !
> > Also most of my preferences get deleted (MSN messenger display pics and
> > backgrounds get lost, cookies sometimes etc.)
> >
> > I've updated my drivers to the latest version, however once updated when
> it
> > reboots instead of showing the login screen it only shows a blue
> background
> > and monitor flickers on and off, so i start in safe mode and roll back
my
> > drivers to the initial one i got with the card and that works fine
except
> > for the above problems ! !
> >
> > Sometimes after crashes winxp displays an error saying it is the GF4
> Ti4200
> > graphic drivers that are causing the instability but i downloaded them
> from
> > the nvidia site : - (
> >
> > Do you think my GFX card is corrupted? How come it worked fine for about
6
> > months then. . .
> >
> > Final Note: Too run my computer through its onboard video card do I have
> > actually take out the nVidia card because I try to just disable it and
> > change the monitor cable and it doesnt respond (I'm relucant to open up
> > tower because last time my monitor turned off forever so i took it to a
> > techy and he said he fixed gfx problem but he obviously didnt0
> >

> > Thanks a whole heap for reading this.

I have never had a problem with the 44.03 Detonators. Even with DX9.0b now.
It isnt broke, so Im not fixing it, by trying to upgrade drivers.

My motherboard says it is 8x agp, and so is my MSI 4200ti , but I get
texture corruption in some games with the BIOS set to 8x, so I run at 4x
(not like anything is slower at 4x with this card).

Steve wrote:

><snip>

> didnt add any new hardware so it wuold be strange for the power supply to be
> adequate one day and inadequate the next ??
><snip>

Electronic parts get can get stressed and fail with time. Look on the
TI-4200 card for capacitor cans with slightly rounded ends. If found,
the bad caps failed with usage. Try to get another graphics card for
test purposes to see if the problems go away after swapping cards. If
that happens, your card is bad. If not, some other hardware failed which
would normally be the power supply or related parts on the motherboard.

>I have never had a problem with the 44.03 Detonators. Even with DX9.0b now.
>It isnt broke, so Im not fixing it, by trying to upgrade drivers.
>
>My motherboard says it is 8x agp, and so is my MSI 4200ti , but I get
>texture corruption in some games with the BIOS set to 8x, so I run at 4x
>(not like anything is slower at 4x with this card).

I also use the 44.03's and never had a single problem, and they seem to be the
fastest for the 4200 IMO.

I also run my 4200 at 4X instead of 8X, not because of texture corruption
though. I run it at 4X because for some reason the card gets better benchmark
scores at 4X instead of 8X with my Abit NF7-S motherboard.