New Card Ideas

I am narrowing my choice to the new card I am going to get. I am a big time
gamer who plays 90% 3D based games.

1. Which card would be the best for my applications?
2. What is the difference between

FX5900
FX5900SE
FX5900XT

3. Where does the FX 5700 Ultra stack up with all the 5900 series cards?

"CCK" <mr_mustang01gt@sbcglobal.net> schreef in bericht
> I am narrowing my choice to the new card I am going to get. I am a big
time
> gamer who plays 90% 3D based games.
>
> 1. Which card would be the best for my applications?
> 2. What is the difference between
>
> FX5900
> FX5900SE
> FX5900XT
>
> 3. Where does the FX 5700 Ultra stack up with all the 5900 series cards?

Se=XT, 5900 non ultra has faster memory than xt's .
5700 is not good, considered the xt is only a bit more expensive and alot
faster.
You might be tempted to go for an 256mb version, but IMHO thats a bit of a
waste, though other might say otherwise (i think it is a waste cause this
card wont be really fast enough to play 256mb requiring games when they will
be there ( i expect them to be there in 1.5 years from now orso at
earliest)).

sleepy

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2001

You need 256mb NOW with new games IF you like to play
at high resloutions with AA on. (Personally I'm happy with 1024x768x32 and
no AA)

"Sleepy" <nospam@here.com> schreef in bericht
> You need 256mb NOW with new games IF you like to play
> at high resloutions with AA on. (Personally I'm happy with 1024x768x32 and
> no AA)

Sure, as if FarCry on a 5900 on 1600 x8AF plus AA gives playable framerates,
i am sure it doesn't . In UT 2004 you might be right though.

So the concenses is that the game programs are starting to exceede the
graphic card capibilities?

> "Sleepy" <nospam@here.com> schreef in bericht
> > You need 256mb NOW with new games IF you like to play
> > at high resloutions with AA on. (Personally I'm happy with 1024x768x32
and
> > no AA)
>
> Sure, as if FarCry on a 5900 on 1600 x8AF plus AA gives playable
framerates,
> i am sure it doesn't . In UT 2004 you might be right though.

The 5900 is slightly clocked faster than the XT or SE. All three of these
are slightly faster than the 5700 cards, because the 5700's use only a 128
Mb memory bus.

--
DaveW

> So the concenses is that the game programs are starting to exceede the
> graphic card capibilities?

Yes that is right, but only for this one Far Cry till now, but soon Doom3
and HL2 and that sort of graphic crack will follow.

teqguy

Jelle wrote:

> "CCK" <mr_mustang01gt@sbcglobal.net> schreef in bericht
> > So the concenses is that the game programs are starting to exceede
> > the graphic card capibilities?
>
> Yes that is right, but only for this one Far Cry till now, but soon
> Doom3 and HL2 and that sort of graphic crack will follow.

I've checked out the latest release of DIII, and I'm honestly going to
tell you guys don't get your hopes up...

It's starting to look like the Unreal Tournament 2k3/2k4 engine, which
is good.... but it isn't great.

As far as memory capacities go, don't worry if you have a 128mb or even
a 64mb card.

Developers aren't going to go and screw their lower-end customers.

Although it would push development further than ever, developers focus
on making an approximation of what they expect their target system to
be.

You guys seem kinda confused about the way video card memory works...

It doesn't exactly function the same way system memory does.

Video card memory is only used if the application calls for it... and
with most advanced games more textures are stored in system memory than
video memory, because the textures are stored supercompressed, then
uncompressed by the gpu.

Through that transition, the supercompressed textures are fed to video
memory, but even then the capacity isn't high enough to store every
single texture used.

So even if you have a 256mb... or even 512mb card (check the Matrox
cards)... it isn't necessarily going to help performance as much as you
think it would.

"Jelle" <mazzel@veel.plezier> wrote in message news:<Py_dc.8256$EV2.68956@amstwist00>...
> "CCK" <mr_mustang01gt@sbcglobal.net> schreef in bericht
> > So the concenses is that the game programs are starting to exceede the
> > graphic card capibilities?
>
> Yes that is right, but only for this one Far Cry till now, but soon Doom3
> and HL2 and that sort of graphic crack will follow.

Doom III is coming..yeah... for already 2 years we hear that it's
coming..and it's still coming..yeah...

Sorry but this is sounding like Eau de Vaporware! Ya know that they
began making the game when the GF3 was just out..... and still no sign
of the game!

Not to forget that 3drealms only other project is Duke Nukem: Forever.
Wich could be pre-ordered already in 1997 and still isn't on the
market!

I think we won't see any of both games coming out on the market!

teqguy

Dark Avenger wrote:

> "Jelle" <mazzel@veel.plezier> wrote in message
> > "CCK" <mr_mustang01gt@sbcglobal.net> schreef in bericht
> > > So the concenses is that the game programs are starting to
> > > exceede the graphic card capibilities?
> >
> > Yes that is right, but only for this one Far Cry till now, but soon
> > Doom3 and HL2 and that sort of graphic crack will follow.
>
> Doom III is coming..yeah... for already 2 years we hear that it's
> coming..and it's still coming..yeah...
>
> Sorry but this is sounding like Eau de Vaporware! Ya know that they
> began making the game when the GF3 was just out..... and still no sign
> of the game!
>
> Not to forget that 3drealms only other project is Duke Nukem: Forever.
> Wich could be pre-ordered already in 1997 and still isn't on the
> market!
>
> I think we won't see any of both games coming out on the market!

The game is done, the engines aren't...

ID and Carmack keep holding off... because the FX was a flop.

So they're just waiting for the NV40, which is supposed to be promising.

The engines aren't even near how well they could be, but theres still a
lot of hype on these games.