Frequent crashing with FX5600

Having some frequent crashing issues with a FX5600 and looking for a
bit of help.

First off, the system is an Athlon/Barton 3200+ on a Shuttle
AN35NUltra motherboard (nForce2 chipset), 1GB RAM (2x512 3200DDR), BFG
FX5600 (256MB) video, SB Audigy audio, DX9.0B, Windows XP Pro SP1.

Basically what's happening is at random times the system will crash,
hard. Screen goes black (no BSOD), and I need to hit the reset button
to restart. It's *only* ever doing this in 3D apps (and it's pretty
much any application, either windowed or full screen, doesn't matter.)
It'll run for days on end if nothing is using 3D.

I've done the "obvious" things to try and narrow it down, but no luck.
DXDiag reports no problems. The system and card is not overclocked
in any way. I've run a full memory diagnostic for a few hours,
everything's good. I've turned off 8X AGP and fastwrites, didn't make
a difference so turned them back on. I've slowed down the FSB speed,
also didn't help any (knocked it back up again to full speed) There
are no IRQ conflicts being reported in the device manager; the card is
all by itself on IRQ 19. The card's not overheating that I can tell;
plenty of fans in the case plus the one on the video card itself, the
heatsink seems comfortably warm.

I've gone thru various versions of the drivers too. (Including the
newest 56.72's) All the 5x.xx's flavors crash rather quickly (again,
it doesn't matter what game/application.. does it across the board)
I've had the "best" results (IE doesn't crash anywhere near as
quickly) with 44.03, but it still will do it sooner or later.

I've also messed with the AGP aperature size settings (I've read all
sorts of different answers on that one.. from keep it as small as
possible to half the card's RAM etc etc) the smallest setting is 64MB,
that one seems too run a bit longer, but a noticable performance hit.
Kicked it up to 256MB, runs a lot smoother but bombing a lot faster
too.

So basically, I'm looking for any suggestions you guys might have. I
used to run a ti4200 and it never crashed (same system otherwise).
I'm at a loss with this one. Any recommendations on which version of
the driver? Is the a patch for XP I'm missing somewhere? (The AGP
aperature size affecting how fast its crashing for some reason is
bothering me..)

Thanks all

I have FX5700 256MB and have had a few crashes as you describe. I deleted
the installed drivers 56.55 and reinstalled the downloaded 53.03 drivers.
Seems to be better but not perfect.

I have nearly same setup as you except shuttle AK32a board with 5600 Ultra
card... What fixed mine was upgrading the power supply. Went from a generic
300 watt to a 450 watt, has been rock-solid ever since.

"NotLikely" <max_norris@msn.com> wrote in message
> Having some frequent crashing issues with a FX5600 and looking for a
> bit of help.
>
> First off, the system is an Athlon/Barton 3200+ on a Shuttle
> AN35NUltra motherboard (nForce2 chipset), 1GB RAM (2x512 3200DDR), BFG
> FX5600 (256MB) video, SB Audigy audio, DX9.0B, Windows XP Pro SP1.
>
> Basically what's happening is at random times the system will crash,
> hard. Screen goes black (no BSOD), and I need to hit the reset button
> to restart. It's *only* ever doing this in 3D apps (and it's pretty
> much any application, either windowed or full screen, doesn't matter.)
> It'll run for days on end if nothing is using 3D.
>
> I've done the "obvious" things to try and narrow it down, but no luck.
> DXDiag reports no problems. The system and card is not overclocked
> in any way. I've run a full memory diagnostic for a few hours,
> everything's good. I've turned off 8X AGP and fastwrites, didn't make
> a difference so turned them back on. I've slowed down the FSB speed,
> also didn't help any (knocked it back up again to full speed) There
> are no IRQ conflicts being reported in the device manager; the card is
> all by itself on IRQ 19. The card's not overheating that I can tell;
> plenty of fans in the case plus the one on the video card itself, the
> heatsink seems comfortably warm.
>
> I've gone thru various versions of the drivers too. (Including the
> newest 56.72's) All the 5x.xx's flavors crash rather quickly (again,
> it doesn't matter what game/application.. does it across the board)
> I've had the "best" results (IE doesn't crash anywhere near as
> quickly) with 44.03, but it still will do it sooner or later.
>
> I've also messed with the AGP aperature size settings (I've read all
> sorts of different answers on that one.. from keep it as small as
> possible to half the card's RAM etc etc) the smallest setting is 64MB,
> that one seems too run a bit longer, but a noticable performance hit.
> Kicked it up to 256MB, runs a lot smoother but bombing a lot faster
> too.
>
> So basically, I'm looking for any suggestions you guys might have. I
> used to run a ti4200 and it never crashed (same system otherwise).
> I'm at a loss with this one. Any recommendations on which version of
> the driver? Is the a patch for XP I'm missing somewhere? (The AGP
> aperature size affecting how fast its crashing for some reason is
> bothering me..)
>
> Thanks all

I was considering the same after I installed the FX 5700. My reasoning was
there was a slight odour coming from the exhaust fans while playing one of
the bundled games. I assumed it was the FX card 'breaking in' however
noticed the PS was significantly warmer than usual. I thoroughlly cleaned
the PS with air and the problem has almost disappeared.

Stu

Hi

i'm having more or less the same problem as you ,

my system is
msi k7n2 delta (n force 2 chip set) latest bios
amd athlon/barton 3200 xp
2* 256mb kingston ram ddr 400
msi 5900 xt driver 53 03
soundblaster audigy
yamaha sw1000xg
weston dig 80 gig h/d
maxtor 40 gig h/d
q-tec 450w psu dual fan

i have tried every available driver for graphics card, but no joy
i even started out with a msi 5600 xt graphics card and it was
doing exactly the same thing so i ditched it for the 5900xt
only to find it doing the bloody same thing .

so i think i need the same help as you
"NotLikely" <max_norris@msn.com> wrote in message
> Having some frequent crashing issues with a FX5600 and looking for a
> bit of help.
>
> First off, the system is an Athlon/Barton 3200+ on a Shuttle
> AN35NUltra motherboard (nForce2 chipset), 1GB RAM (2x512 3200DDR), BFG
> FX5600 (256MB) video, SB Audigy audio, DX9.0B, Windows XP Pro SP1.
>
> Basically what's happening is at random times the system will crash,
> hard. Screen goes black (no BSOD), and I need to hit the reset button
> to restart. It's *only* ever doing this in 3D apps (and it's pretty
> much any application, either windowed or full screen, doesn't matter.)
> It'll run for days on end if nothing is using 3D.
>
> I've done the "obvious" things to try and narrow it down, but no luck.
> DXDiag reports no problems. The system and card is not overclocked
> in any way. I've run a full memory diagnostic for a few hours,
> everything's good. I've turned off 8X AGP and fastwrites, didn't make
> a difference so turned them back on. I've slowed down the FSB speed,
> also didn't help any (knocked it back up again to full speed) There
> are no IRQ conflicts being reported in the device manager; the card is
> all by itself on IRQ 19. The card's not overheating that I can tell;
> plenty of fans in the case plus the one on the video card itself, the
> heatsink seems comfortably warm.
>
> I've gone thru various versions of the drivers too. (Including the
> newest 56.72's) All the 5x.xx's flavors crash rather quickly (again,
> it doesn't matter what game/application.. does it across the board)
> I've had the "best" results (IE doesn't crash anywhere near as
> quickly) with 44.03, but it still will do it sooner or later.
>
> I've also messed with the AGP aperature size settings (I've read all
> sorts of different answers on that one.. from keep it as small as
> possible to half the card's RAM etc etc) the smallest setting is 64MB,
> that one seems too run a bit longer, but a noticable performance hit.
> Kicked it up to 256MB, runs a lot smoother but bombing a lot faster
> too.
>
> So basically, I'm looking for any suggestions you guys might have. I
> used to run a ti4200 and it never crashed (same system otherwise).
> I'm at a loss with this one. Any recommendations on which version of
> the driver? Is the a patch for XP I'm missing somewhere? (The AGP
> aperature size affecting how fast its crashing for some reason is
> bothering me..)
>
> Thanks all

I reviewed my system BIOS settings and set AGP Aperature to 128MB.
Everything seems fine how.

All the recommended optimum AGP Aperature settings seem to be within 1/4 to
1/2 of your system RAM. Some say 1/4 to 1/2 of the available system RAM. My
guess is to try settings to get the sweet spot.

Stu

ok so I've done abit more research into my problem and this is what I get.

if I set my cpu in my bios to run at 200mhz and run 3d mark on demo
and loop it ,it usually crashes back to my desktop before the end of the
first loop.

so I then change my bios to run at 166mhz and run 3d mark again in
demo and loop it , guess what ? it ran all night , 9 hours without crashing
to my desktop.

so could this mean one of two things , either I have been ripped off with
my cpu , ( it's a 2500 xp instead of a 3200 xp which it should be)
or my motherboard is at fault . that is the question ????????????????