5900SE...how to display 1600X1200on my hdtv

I have an hdtv and I would like to display (at least) 1600X1200 through my
s-video out to the TV...but the card only goes to 1024 X 768. How do I get
it to go higher? It should do this with my hdtv. It says it goes to
2048X1536@85Hz. What up?

On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 05:35:20 GMT, "Irrat8ed" <nomail@nomail.com>
wrote:

>I have an hdtv and I would like to display (at least) 1600X1200 through my
>s-video out to the TV...but the card only goes to 1024 X 768. How do I get
>it to go higher?

> It should do this with my hdtv.

Why ?

Your HDVT receiver supports only 480p, 720p (progressive)
or 1080i (interlaced ) scanning. The 768 in 1024x768 is actually 768p,
which is greater than 720p if my elementary math still holds up.

Also, the scan rate of your HDTV is 60Hz fixed.

>2048X1536@85Hz. What up?

Nothing. Get a large screen computer monitor, use your TV for watching
the Super-bowl on expensive cable or satellite and you should be very
happy.

John Lewis

teqguy

John Lewis wrote:

> On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 05:35:20 GMT, "Irrat8ed" <nomail@nomail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > I have an hdtv and I would like to display (at least) 1600X1200
> > through my s-video out to the TV...but the card only goes to 1024 X
> > 768. How do I get it to go higher?
>

> > It should do this with my hdtv.
>
> Why ?
>
> Your HDVT receiver supports only 480p, 720p (progressive)
> or 1080i (interlaced ) scanning. The 768 in 1024x768 is actually 768p,
> which is greater than 720p if my elementary math still holds up.
>
> Also, the scan rate of your HDTV is 60Hz fixed.
>
> > 2048X1536@85Hz. What up?
> >

> Nothing. Get a large screen computer monitor, use your TV for watching
> the Super-bowl on expensive cable or satellite and you should be very
> happy.
>
> John Lewis

John, not true......

Most high definition TVs feature a DVI connector that will allow you to
get 2048x1536.

There's an alternative though.. so you're in luck.

ATI offers a DVI to Component adapter. You won't get the full
resolution of HDDVI, but you'll get the full resolution of component,
which will give you 1080i support and definitely good quality.

If you have the money, get an up-converter, which will upgrade the
resolution of component to DVI resolutions.

The up-converter costs $200 though....... so not your best bet.

On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 06:25:30 GMT, "teqguy" <teqguy@techie.com> wrote:

>John Lewis wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 05:35:20 GMT, "Irrat8ed" <nomail@nomail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> > I have an hdtv and I would like to display (at least) 1600X1200
>> > through my s-video out to the TV...but the card only goes to 1024 X
>> > 768. How do I get it to go higher?
>>

>> > It should do this with my hdtv.
>>
>> Why ?
>>
>> Your HDVT receiver supports only 480p, 720p (progressive)
>> or 1080i (interlaced ) scanning. The 768 in 1024x768 is actually 768p,
>> which is greater than 720p if my elementary math still holds up.
>>
>> Also, the scan rate of your HDTV is 60Hz fixed.
>>
>> > 2048X1536@85Hz. What up?
>> >

>> Nothing. Get a large screen computer monitor, use your TV for watching
>> the Super-bowl on expensive cable or satellite and you should be very
>> happy.
>>
>> John Lewis
>>

>John, not true......

Ah. but he mentioned s-video.......... My HDTV receiver also has a
DVI connector but only supports up to 720p horizontal ..........

>Most high definition TVs feature a DVI connector that will allow you to
>get 2048x1536.

Really ? Which ones? Or do they just downsample for the display ?

I have not seen any monitors designed for HDTV that natively
support anywhere near the above resolution in the discrete pixels
available on the display device.

John Lewis

teqguy

John Lewis wrote:

> On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 06:25:30 GMT, "teqguy" <teqguy@techie.com> wrote:
>
> > John Lewis wrote:

> 1024 X >> > 768. How do I get it to go higher?

> >> Why ?
> >>
> >> Your HDVT receiver supports only 480p, 720p (progressive)
> >> or 1080i (interlaced ) scanning. The 768 in 1024x768 is actually
> 768p, >> which is greater than 720p if my elementary math still holds
> up. >>
> >> Also, the scan rate of your HDTV is 60Hz fixed.

> >> Nothing. Get a large screen computer monitor, use your TV for
> watching >> the Super-bowl on expensive cable or satellite and you
> should be very >> happy.
> >>
> >> John Lewis
> >>

> > John, not true......
> >

> Ah. but he mentioned s-video.......... My HDTV receiver also has a
> DVI connector but only supports up to 720p horizontal ..........
>

> > Most high definition TVs feature a DVI connector that will allow
> > you to get 2048x1536.
> >

> Really ? Which ones? Or do they just downsample for the display ?
>
> I have not seen any monitors designed for HDTV that natively
> support anywhere near the above resolution in the discrete pixels
> available on the display device.
>
> John Lewis

The problem with HD right now is the input, not the output.

There is just nothing that can display full resolution.... except for
graphics cards.

There is no downsampling, unless you go from DVI>>Component

If you go DVI>>DVI, there is no downsampling.

It goes to that high resolution on a COMPUTER MONITOR. Not the s-video out
to a TV.

--
DaveW

"Irrat8ed" <nomail@nomail.com> wrote in message
> I have an hdtv and I would like to display (at least) 1600X1200 through my
> s-video out to the TV...but the card only goes to 1024 X 768. How do I
get
> it to go higher? It should do this with my hdtv. It says it goes to
> 2048X1536@85Hz. What up?

teqguy

DaveW wrote:

> It goes to that high resolution on a COMPUTER MONITOR. Not the
> s-video out to a TV.

We aren't talking about S-video anymore... his card has a DVI out.

He might not realize that his HD TV has the same DVI connector.

I realize SVIDEO is only able to display a 1024 x 768 resolution, but
HD tv's downconvert everything anyways.