5900 Ultra + Audigy 2 Sound Problem?

Recently installed a Gainward 5900 Ultra. I have an creative audigy 2 sound
card. Worked ok for a few days. Then in the middle of playing UT 2003 sound went
out. Now I have no sound at all on the computer.

I wiped creative drivers and reinstalled. Updated to the latest. Using the 5672
Nvida driver for the 5900.

Creative tech support want me to update bios on mother board. They also
suggested that the wiring inside my box might be interfering with the Audigy
(sounds far-fetched to me). Don't want to start fiddling unless I have a better
understanding of what might be the problem

My question is: Is it somehow possible that the Audigy board got damaged by the
heat or some other operation of the 5900? I should add that I'm using the 1394
on the Audigy to run some external firewire drives and there is no problem
there. Also the audigy board is in the PCI slot next to the last away from the
5900 so it is not physically close.

Other than this (perhaps far-fetched idea) does anyone have a clue what might be
the problem?

By the way I have an ASUS P4-T Mobo and a 450 watt power supply. Using XP pro.

Sorry if this is a more appropriate question for a sound card group but I
haven't found an active Creative sound card newsgroup.

Thanks,
Perrera

Perrera <Perrera_member@newsguy.com> wrote in

> Recently installed a Gainward 5900 Ultra. I have an creative audigy 2
> sound card. Worked ok for a few days. Then in the middle of playing UT
> 2003 sound went out. Now I have no sound at all on the computer.
I know you have installed and uninstalled drivers already, but can you just
try muting and unmuting all your sound inputs and outputs. I read in a
forum somewhere a problem just like yours and by doing that he managed to
fix it. You may also want to change the location (PCI slot) of the audigy
to get windows to re-recognise it again. That may help.

>From: Perrera Perrera_member@newsguy.com

>Other than this (perhaps far-fetched idea) does anyone have a clue what might
>be
>the problem?

I also have a 5900 Ultra and an Audigy sound card and have experienced no
problems. Did you update the Audigy drivers, both the Audigy driver and the
EAX driver? Maybe there is some conflict with the 56.72's? I would try using
the 53.03's instead, as these seem to be solid. But first I would use
something like Driver Cleaner 3: http://www.driverheaven.net/cleaner/
then install the 53.03's.

Perrera wrote:

> Recently installed a Gainward 5900 Ultra. I have an creative audigy 2 sound
> card. Worked ok for a few days. Then in the middle of playing UT 2003 sound went
> out. Now I have no sound at all on the computer.
>
> I wiped creative drivers and reinstalled. Updated to the latest. Using the 5672
> Nvida driver for the 5900.
>
> Creative tech support want me to update bios on mother board. They also
> suggested that the wiring inside my box might be interfering with the Audigy
> (sounds far-fetched to me). Don't want to start fiddling unless I have a better
> understanding of what might be the problem
>
> My question is: Is it somehow possible that the Audigy board got damaged by the
> heat or some other operation of the 5900? I should add that I'm using the 1394
> on the Audigy to run some external firewire drives and there is no problem
> there. Also the audigy board is in the PCI slot next to the last away from the
> 5900 so it is not physically close.
>
> Other than this (perhaps far-fetched idea) does anyone have a clue what might be
> the problem?
>
> By the way I have an ASUS P4-T Mobo and a 450 watt power supply. Using XP pro.
>
> Sorry if this is a more appropriate question for a sound card group but I
> haven't found an active Creative sound card newsgroup.
>
> Thanks,
> Perrera

Check your windows directory and see if there is a file named PUP.EXE.
If so google it and follow instructions on how to remove it from your
system. Apparently it takes out the Windows Media Player and sound along
with it sometimes.