FX5600 XT 256MB v ATI 9600 256MB

smith

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2003

right, i have finally norrowed it down to these cards, which shonk is the
best ??
as far as i know the FX has a higher default clock rate of 400 whereas the
ATI is 375 i beleive, also they both support DX9 for Doom 3 and HL2 and
UT2004. which would u suggest i get, as i have found them for both £77

cheers shonk and who else inputs to this

:)

Smith

<snip>

>I'm sick of people getting worried about Doom III and HalfLife 2....
>these games are not entirely graphics dependent.
>

>You also need a fast processor, a decent amount of memory, a nice EAX
>Surround sound supporting sound card, a large capacity hard drive and a
>fast internet connection.
>

>If your processor is 2.5Ghz or lower, upgrade that first.

Wrong.

>If you have 512mb of ram or lower, upgrade that first.

Kinda depends, but for now 75% wrong.

>If you have an Intel setup that doesn't support hyperthreading, upgrade
>that first because these games support hyperthreading.

Way, way wrong.

>If you have a sound card that is unable to process DirectX9, EAX, or 32
>voices at a time... upgrade that.

that's personal preference

>If you guys upgrade your graphics card and have a low performing system
>overall, don't expect to run these games in high quality.
>

>Both support multiplayer, so if you're still on budget broadband or
>dialup, don't expect to play online.

Depends on the "budget broadband" 128k (both way) and greater would
be fine.
Dialup=no good.

>These games aren't the pinnacle of gaming either... they're entirely
>over-hyped.

How would you know. They aren't even out.

<snip>

I don't really like to correct people, but with this much
misinformation being spewed forth I felt it was needed.

You could put together a 2.5Ghz system with 512 megs
of ram and an OEM SB card and pair it with a 9800xt
and it would beat the pants off any 3.4Ghz w/HT system with
1 gig of memory and an ATI 9600.

Joe

smith

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2003

ok fair enough i can see your point and yes i prolly have been caught up in
the "get a cool card for my BUDGET that will run the games"

just so you know, my PC spec is

AMD 64bit 3000+
512MB PC3200 DDR 400
120GB Maxtor
Creative Soundblaster Live 5.1
5.1 Surround sound system

i want to know which card out of those 2 i mentioned are the best to stick
with that system as i will not be upgrading for a long while after i choose
a card