Verizon/GSM/Used Phone

Last response: in Network Providers
August 16, 2005 5:53:28 PM

I'm trying to buy a cheap used GSM phone on ebay that I can take
travelling with me. I'm confused, however. If I buy an "unlocked"
phone, that is GSM 900/1800/1900 capable, will it work with Verizon's
simcard? Is there something else I should know?

More about : verizon gsm phone

August 16, 2005 9:37:31 PM

On 16 Aug 2005 13:53:28 -0700, inpa64@hotmail.com wrote:

>I'm trying to buy a cheap used GSM phone on ebay that I can take
>travelling with me. I'm confused, however. If I buy an "unlocked"
>phone, that is GSM 900/1800/1900 capable, will it work with Verizon's
>simcard? Is there something else I should know?

If you're using it with your Verizon service it will only work when
you are overseas. The GSM "1900" which is North American frequency
will only work with carriers such as cingular and T-Mobile. If you're
using it with Verizon you'll have to get a special SIM from Verizon to
use when you go overseas. There is a monthly "feature" charge to use
this service. Actually you really don't need a triband phone. All
you need is a phone that will use 900 or 1800 Mhz GSM. 1900 is not
needed or used in Europe or Asia. Such phones used can likely be
gotten on eBay for $20 - $50 for used not "state-of-the-art" units.

- -
Anonymous
August 16, 2005 10:10:32 PM

inpa64@hotmail.com wrote:

>I'm trying to buy a cheap used GSM phone on ebay that I can take
>travelling with me. I'm confused, however. If I buy an "unlocked"
>phone, that is GSM 900/1800/1900 capable, will it work with Verizon's
>simcard? Is there something else I should know?

You will be better off buying a prepaid SIM for the country you wish to
visit if the phone is fully unlocked. You would be able to use a
Verizon SIM, but you should only do so if it's very important that
people call you directly while you're there, as it will be more
expensive to be an international roamer than a domestic prepaid.

TH
August 17, 2005 10:35:00 AM

I guess my basic question is -- if I get a cheap used dual/triband
phone on the appropriate frequencies for Europe, Africa, Asia, and the
US (although the latter is the least important), will I be able to
connect it to my Verizon service (which I know will be much more
expensive than local prepaid) so that calls to my US number will ring
in Egypt (which is where this current trip is taking me). Last time
I'd traveled to Greece, I'd gotten a rental Verizon phone, which
forwarded all my calls as if I was in the US. It was expensive -- but
great to keep in touch with. I'm trying to duplicate this without
having to rent a phone.
August 17, 2005 12:13:03 PM

On 17 Aug 2005 06:35:00 -0700, inpa64@hotmail.com wrote:

>I guess my basic question is -- if I get a cheap used dual/triband
>phone on the appropriate frequencies for Europe, Africa, Asia, and the
>US (although the latter is the least important), will I be able to
>connect it to my Verizon service (which I know will be much more
>expensive than local prepaid) so that calls to my US number will ring
>in Egypt (which is where this current trip is taking me). Last time
>I'd traveled to Greece, I'd gotten a rental Verizon phone, which
>forwarded all my calls as if I was in the US. It was expensive -- but
>great to keep in touch with. I'm trying to duplicate this without
>having to rent a phone.

It still won't be cheap. I believe Verizon charges around $7 or so
per month for this SIM "feature" plus actual roaming charges. If you
plan on making other overseas trips just buying a phone outright is a
much better deal for you. Renting a phone is almost always a bad deal
and you'll likely spend more on a rental than you would actually
buying second hand equipment. You can get a prepaid SIM in Egypt when
you arrive.
- -
August 19, 2005 5:08:06 AM

On
>I'm trying to buy a cheap used GSM phone on ebay that I can take
>travelling with me. I'm confused, however. If I buy an "unlocked"
>phone, that is GSM 900/1800/1900 capable, will it work with Verizon's
>simcard? Is there something else I should know?

Verizon uses CDMA phones, so any GSM phone wouldn't work with Verizon's network.
Anonymous
August 19, 2005 4:18:52 PM

Sean wrote:

>On
>

>>I'm trying to buy a cheap used GSM phone on ebay that I can take
>>travelling with me. I'm confused, however. If I buy an "unlocked"
>>phone, that is GSM 900/1800/1900 capable, will it work with Verizon's
>>simcard? Is there something else I should know?
>>

>Verizon uses CDMA phones, so any GSM phone wouldn't work with Verizon's network.

The OP was referring to Verizon's international mobile service, where
you are issued a Verizon Wireless SIM card to use on foreign GSM
networks (namely Vodafone, Verizon Wireless's parent company).

TH
August 19, 2005 8:28:26 PM

On
>Sean wrote:
>
>>On
>>

>>>I'm trying to buy a cheap used GSM phone on ebay that I can take
>>>travelling with me. I'm confused, however. If I buy an "unlocked"
>>>phone, that is GSM 900/1800/1900 capable, will it work with Verizon's
>>>simcard? Is there something else I should know?
>>>

>>Verizon uses CDMA phones, so any GSM phone wouldn't work with Verizon's
network.

>The OP was referring to Verizon's international mobile service, where
>you are issued a Verizon Wireless SIM card to use on foreign GSM
>networks (namely Vodafone, Verizon Wireless's parent company).
>
>TH

Oh, sorry.
August 19, 2005 8:45:13 PM

On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 12:18:52 -0400, Tropical Haven <email@example.net>
wrote:

>The OP was referring to Verizon's international mobile service, where
>you are issued a Verizon Wireless SIM card to use on foreign GSM
>networks (namely Vodafone, Verizon Wireless's parent company).

Vodafone is *hardly* Verizon Wireless' parent company seeing as how
they only have a 45% interest in Verizon (the wireline company
included.) Verizon Wireless' "parent" company is Verizon. And there
are other foreign GSM networks besides Vodafone.

- -
Anonymous
August 20, 2005 2:54:27 AM

Joseph wrote:

>On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 12:18:52 -0400, Tropical Haven <email@example.net>
>wrote:
>

>>The OP was referring to Verizon's international mobile service, where
>>you are issued a Verizon Wireless SIM card to use on foreign GSM
>>networks (namely Vodafone, Verizon Wireless's parent company).
>>

>Vodafone is *hardly* Verizon Wireless' parent company seeing as how
>they only have a 45% interest in Verizon (the wireline company
>included.) Verizon Wireless' "parent" company is Verizon. And there
>are other foreign GSM networks besides Vodafone.
>
>- -

No less than BellSouth is Cingular's parent company. Yes, there are
other foreign GSM networks. However, it is to Verizon Wireless's
advantage to roam on Vodafone, as it has company connections.

I'm a little confused...are you saying that Vodafone has a 45% interest
in Verizon Communications, or a 45% interest in Verizon Wireless? There
is a HUGE difference.

TH
August 20, 2005 3:04:45 AM

In article <EXwNe.464$rp.119@lakeread08>, Tropical Haven
<email@example.net> wrote:

> I'm a little confused...are you saying that Vodafone has a 45% interest
> in Verizon Communications, or a 45% interest in Verizon Wireless? There
> is a HUGE difference.

Vodaphone has a 45% interest in Verizon Wireless. Verizon
Communications has a 55% interest.

--
Charles
August 20, 2005 11:42:28 AM

On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 22:54:27 -0400, Tropical Haven <email@example.net>
wrote:

>No less than BellSouth is Cingular's parent company. Yes, there are
>other foreign GSM networks. However, it is to Verizon Wireless's
>advantage to roam on Vodafone, as it has company connections.

Again, Vodafone does not have foreign networks everywhere. They have
networks in a lot of places such as the UK, NL, Italy, Germany, etc.
but they are far from everywhere.

>I'm a little confused...are you saying that Vodafone has a 45% interest
>in Verizon Communications, or a 45% interest in Verizon Wireless? There
>is a HUGE difference.

Vodafone has a 45% interest in *Verizon* not Verizon Wireless.
Verizon Wireless is of course part of Verizon.
- -
Anonymous
August 20, 2005 10:22:10 PM

Joseph wrote:
> Vodafone has a 45% interest in *Verizon* not Verizon Wireless.
> Verizon Wireless is of course part of Verizon.

Verizon Wireless is a partnership between Verizon Communications (55%)
and Vodaphone (45%). It is not "part" of Verizon Communications.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/aboutUs/index.jsp?cm...
Anonymous
August 21, 2005 4:03:19 PM

Joseph wrote:

> Vodafone has a 45% interest in *Verizon* not Verizon Wireless.

Since when?

Vodafone has a 45% interest in Cellco Partnership, the joint venture
operating as Verizon Wireless.

> Verizon Wireless is of course part of Verizon.

It's only "part of" Verizon inasmuch as Verizon owns part of the joint
venture. Verizon is not 100% owner of Verizon Wireless; never was.

I'm not sure how the FCC would look upon a foreign-owned telco. I do know
that radio and TV stations are required to be owned by American companies,
but I'm not sure about telcos.

Company website: http://JustThe.net/
E: sjsobol@JustThe.net Snail: 22674 Motnocab Road, Apple Valley, CA 92307
August 23, 2005 12:47:36 AM

news:D eaic4$m97$1@ratbert.glorb.com...

> I'm not sure how the FCC would look upon a foreign-owned telco. I do know
> that radio and TV stations are required to be owned by American companies,
> but I'm not sure about telcos.

Hey Steve- we already know the answer to this one. T-Mobile.

Anonymous
August 23, 2005 1:15:47 AM

Scott replied to me:

>>I'm not sure how the FCC would look upon a foreign-owned telco. I do know
>>that radio and TV stations are required to be owned by American companies,
>>but I'm not sure about telcos.
>
> Hey Steve- we already know the answer to this one. T-Mobile.

Duh. And I'm a T-Mo customer. I should have known better. :)

Company website: http://JustThe.net/
E: sjsobol@JustThe.net Snail: 22674 Motnocab Road, Apple Valley, CA 92307
Anonymous
August 23, 2005 2:40:39 AM

Steve Sobol wrote:

> Joseph wrote:
>
>> Vodafone has a 45% interest in *Verizon* not Verizon Wireless.
>

> Since when?
>
> Vodafone has a 45% interest in Cellco Partnership, the joint venture
> operating as Verizon Wireless.
>
>> Verizon Wireless is of course part of Verizon.
>

> It's only "part of" Verizon inasmuch as Verizon owns part of the joint
> venture. Verizon is not 100% owner of Verizon Wireless; never was.
>
> I'm not sure how the FCC would look upon a foreign-owned telco. I do
> know that radio and TV stations are required to be owned by American
> companies, but I'm not sure about telcos.

This is what I thought, but I've been known to be wrong before.

TH
!