Hardware video filtering with FX series?

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

I'm very soon going to choose between similarly priced Sapphire 9600SE and
Gainward Fx5500 cards, mostly for watching movies, surfing VERY rare gaming
etc.
Right now I'm leaning towards nvidia's because of somewhat better
performance.

So I know that ATI cards support some special hardware filtering (in
DivxPlayer) that enables much smoother, sharper and clear video playback at
very little cpu-cost. What is that called?

I'm wondering if Nvidia's Fx series (Fx5500, NV34) also uses similar
technology? If so, then what player support this?

teqguy

Asestar wrote:

> I'm very soon going to choose between similarly priced Sapphire
> 9600SE and Gainward Fx5500 cards, mostly for watching movies, surfing
> VERY rare gaming etc.
> Right now I'm leaning towards nvidia's because of somewhat better
> performance.
>

> So I know that ATI cards support some special hardware filtering (in
> DivxPlayer) that enables much smoother, sharper and clear video
> playback at very little cpu-cost. What is that called?
>
> I'm wondering if Nvidia's Fx series (Fx5500, NV34) also uses similar
> technology? If so, then what player support this?

Actually, the Geforce series has always been better for hardware
accelerated video.

The overlay quality is much sharper and more vibrant.

Nvidia's newest forceware drivers have featured an option called Image
Sharpening, which basically adds antialiasing to everything through
hardware acceleration.

It makes every application look crisp and clean, not just the video
overlay and full screen video.

As far as software DVD players, I recommend Intervideo's WinDVD, simply
because of all the features it has.

NVDVD has a few optimizations for the Geforce, but it doesn't match the
video quality of WinDVD.

You can check it out for yourself, but here's some of the features I
appreciate:

o Hardware acceleration and overlay support built in

o 24bit/96khz support for audio cards

o LFE support (adds two virtual side speakers by combining a droppler
effect from the front and rear speakers

o SRS Labs virtual surround sound via two speakers..... go to
www.srslabs.com and try out some of the demos.... this sounds awesome

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

> Actually, the Geforce series has always been better for hardware
> accelerated video. The overlay quality is much sharper and more vibrant.

So you are saying that I'll get improved video overlay quality than the old
gf2 gts i once had (which was same as current radeon8500LE)

> Nvidia's newest forceware drivers have featured an option called Image
> Sharpening, which basically adds antialiasing to everything through
> hardware acceleration.
>
> It makes every application look crisp and clean, not just the video
> overlay and full screen video.

When talking about movies, i was reffering to mostly .avi and .mpg files,
both divx and xvid. So will they be better than divxplayer using ati
optimisations?

> As far as software DVD players, I recommend Intervideo's WinDVD, simply
> because of all the features it has.
> NVDVD has a few optimizations for the Geforce, but it doesn't match the
> video quality of WinDVD.

I mostly use powerDvd. However, i don't watch many dvd on my pc, but on
hometheater )sad it can't play divx).

> You can check it out for yourself, but here's some of the features I
> appreciate:
> o Hardware acceleration and overlay support built in
> o 24bit/96khz support for audio cards
> o LFE support (adds two virtual side speakers by combining a droppler
> effect from the front and rear speakers
> o SRS Labs virtual surround sound via two speakers..... go to
> www.srslabs.com and try out some of the demos.... this sounds awesome
Thanks, i'll try that when needed.

teqguy

"teqguy" <teqguy@techie.com> wrote in message news:<A84fc.6618$hg1.1376@nwrddc02.gnilink.net>...
> Asestar wrote:
>
> > I'm very soon going to choose between similarly priced Sapphire
> > 9600SE and Gainward Fx5500 cards, mostly for watching movies, surfing
> > VERY rare gaming etc.
> > Right now I'm leaning towards nvidia's because of somewhat better
> > performance.
> >

> o SRS Labs virtual surround sound via two speakers..... go to
> www.srslabs.com and try out some of the demos.... this sounds awesome

Ati has fullstream... :) :) :) :)

And the best 2d output quality of the gaming cards :p

And DivX Player will work together with ati hardware to accelerate the
video. While.. well that is just an upcoming feature in the new GF,

GF is pretty slow, ati had already acceleration and that nice
anti-aliasing while GF FX still had to do with old technologies!

teqguy

Dark Avenger wrote:

> "teqguy" <teqguy@techie.com> wrote in message
> > Asestar wrote:
> >
> > > I'm very soon going to choose between similarly priced Sapphire
> > > 9600SE and Gainward Fx5500 cards, mostly for watching movies,
> > > surfing VERY rare gaming etc.
> > > Right now I'm leaning towards nvidia's because of somewhat better
> > > performance.
> > >

> > o SRS Labs virtual surround sound via two speakers..... go to
> > www.srslabs.com and try out some of the demos.... this sounds
> > awesome
>
> Ati has fullstream... :) :) :) :)
>
> And the best 2d output quality of the gaming cards :p
>
> And DivX Player will work together with ati hardware to accelerate the
> video. While.. well that is just an upcoming feature in the new GF,
>
> GF is pretty slow, ati had already acceleration and that nice
> anti-aliasing while GF FX still had to do with old technologies!

I beg to differ.

Shall I post some DVD screencaps?

Maybe HD screencaps too?

"teqguy" <teqguy@techie.com> wrote in message news:<TWofc.8898$hg1.5755@nwrddc02.gnilink.net>...
> Dark Avenger wrote:
>
> > "teqguy" <teqguy@techie.com> wrote in message

> > > o SRS Labs virtual surround sound via two speakers..... go to
> > > www.srslabs.com and try out some of the demos.... this sounds
> > > awesome
> >
> > Ati has fullstream... :) :) :) :)
> >
> > And the best 2d output quality of the gaming cards :p
> >
> > And DivX Player will work together with ati hardware to accelerate the
> > video. While.. well that is just an upcoming feature in the new GF,
> >
> > GF is pretty slow, ati had already acceleration and that nice
> > anti-aliasing while GF FX still had to do with old technologies!
>

> I beg to differ.
>

> Shall I post some DVD screencaps?
>

> Maybe HD screencaps too?

Well, get it on :p

Oh know that the new cards are coming in town and as we know... they
are stuffed with new toys!

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

Guess that fullstream saved ati in the end. It's far supperior watching my
favorite anime series on Dvixplayer with radeon's Fullstream enabled then it
is on any other combo of hard/software.
thanks for your time

"Asestar" <a s e s t a r @ s t a r t . n o> wrote in message news:<9vtfc.79629$BD3.9243633@juliett.dax.net>...
> Guess that fullstream saved ati in the end. It's far supperior watching my
> favorite anime series on Dvixplayer with radeon's Fullstream enabled then it
> is on any other combo of hard/software.
> thanks for your time

Maybe it's however one of the better features on the card ( besides
gaming features ) since indeed..it lowers CPU usage while watching
DivX to a piont that putting a nice cheap ati card in a Celeron 600
system just can make it a great DivX player!

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

"Dark Avenger" was wearing a T-shirt printed with..

> Maybe it's however one of the better features on the card ( besides
> gaming features ) since indeed..it lowers CPU usage while watching
> DivX to a piont that putting a nice cheap ati card in a Celeron 600
> system just can make it a great DivX player!

Agree, but my rig is not a celeron600 :) It's a Duron1600, close in price,
yet very far in performance.