PC problem - Need help

I have a Gateway Performance 800 with 800MHz P3 inside....'and a problem
maybe.

Every time I press the button on the base to turn the machine ON, the light
on the front comes on and it makes the usual sounds, but after 2 or 3
seconds, it switches itself OFF.

It just keeps doing this until I take the plug out at the back for app., 10
seconds and re-insert it.
Then it does the same routine as described all over again.

Can anyone help me with this?
Thanks.
Geo.

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I'd check the power supply.
Bob

"Eos" <FreeSoft@(SkipTheBrakets)Tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
> I have a Gateway Performance 800 with 800MHz P3 inside....'and a problem
> maybe.
>
> Every time I press the button on the base to turn the machine ON, the
light
> on the front comes on and it makes the usual sounds, but after 2 or 3
> seconds, it switches itself OFF.
>
> It just keeps doing this until I take the plug out at the back for app.,
10
> seconds and re-insert it.
> Then it does the same routine as described all over again.
>
> Can anyone help me with this?
> Thanks.
> Geo.

Weird! It all seems to be working fine now (I hope!), but all I did was to
follow the wires from the switch on the front of the base to where it plugs
into the mobo....'then I disconnected this plug for a few seconds and
re-connected it.
The PC fired up right away! Anyone have any explanations for me as to what
might have caused all this?
Is it significant in anyway? Would this indicate a fault?
Thanks.
Geo.

"Bob" <bobdawn1@verizon.net> wrote in message
> I'd check the power supply.
> Bob

One explanation is that plugs come loose....it's a fact of life :)

ANother explanation is that you are just having some moments of luck right
now, and the power supply is still faulty. I have seen this happen in the
past - computer randomly rebooting itself, booting up for an hour and then
shutting down, etc. :) So I wouldn't say you are totally out of the woods
yet :)

> Weird! It all seems to be working fine now (I hope!), but all I did was to
> follow the wires from the switch on the front of the base to where it
plugs
> into the mobo....'then I disconnected this plug for a few seconds and
> re-connected it.
> The PC fired up right away! Anyone have any explanations for me as to what
> might have caused all this?
> Is it significant in anyway? Would this indicate a fault?
> Thanks.
> Geo.
>

> "Bob" <bobdawn1@verizon.net> wrote in message
> > I'd check the power supply.
> > Bob

Leslie

:
: Every time I press the button on the base to turn the machine ON, the light
: on the front comes on and it makes the usual sounds, but after 2 or 3
: seconds, it switches itself OFF.
:
: It just keeps doing this until I take the plug out at the back for app., 10
: seconds and re-insert it.
: Then it does the same routine as described all over again.
:
: Can anyone help me with this?
: Thanks.
: Geo.
:

Check for leaking capacitors, such as the photo included in this article:

http://www.spectrum.ieee.org/WEBONLY/resource/feb03/ncap.html
News & Analysis

Here's an article about the problem:

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=5878
Dodgy components threaten mobos, modems

and a letter to the editor I wrote about the problem:

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=18574
Plague of dodgy capacitors starts to bite

This site mentions that the problem has been seen on Gateway motherboards:

http://www.motherboardrepair.com/
MotherBoardRepair.com :: Mother Board Repair At A Component Level.

--Jerry Leslie
Note: leslie@jrlvax.houston.rr.com is invalid for email