A 6800 performance thought

Daniel

From what I have read so far, the 6800 looks VERY good.
But there appears to be room for nVidia to crank it up later
as necessary. MUCH faster ram is coming, and we saw with the
5900s, more memory speed always helped. Secondly, if there is
a die shrink at some point, the GPU could go higher also.

Good times for performance all around

Daniel

On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 01:36:09 GMT, "Daniel"
<daniel@vanguard-computers.com> wrote:

>From what I have read so far, the 6800 looks VERY good.
>But there appears to be room for nVidia to crank it up later
>as necessary. MUCH faster ram is coming, and we saw with the
>5900s, more memory speed always helped. Secondly, if there is
>a die shrink at some point, the GPU could go higher also.
>
>Good times for performance all around
>
> Daniel

Agreed. The architecture seems excellent and forward-looking.
I do not know how far along IBM is with process shrinks.
I know that AMD is intending to use their .065u process
for their processors when it is ready. IBM may be skipping .09u.
6800 sure would run fast ( and cool ) on the .065u process.
Plus 4x the number of die per wafer too.

John Lewis

Its die shrinkage your buying with upgrades cpu or video.

> On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 01:36:09 GMT, "Daniel"
> <daniel@vanguard-computers.com> wrote:
>
> >From what I have read so far, the 6800 looks VERY good.
> >But there appears to be room for nVidia to crank it up later
> >as necessary. MUCH faster ram is coming, and we saw with the
> >5900s, more memory speed always helped. Secondly, if there is
> >a die shrink at some point, the GPU could go higher also.
> >
> >Good times for performance all around
> >
> > Daniel
> >

> Agreed. The architecture seems excellent and forward-looking.
> I do not know how far along IBM is with process shrinks.
> I know that AMD is intending to use their .065u process
> for their processors when it is ready. IBM may be skipping .09u.
> 6800 sure would run fast ( and cool ) on the .065u process.
> Plus 4x the number of die per wafer too.
>
> John Lewis

NaDa

john.dsl@verizon.net (John Lewis) wrote:
> Have you read the reviews ?
> Especially the Xbit Labs one ?
> Xbit Labs are normally not too sympathetic to nVidia.
> BTW, there is no evidence of cheating with the
> 60.72 driver. Some of the Video processing Unit
> functions are not implemented in this driver.
>
> John Lewis

I was impressed with the driver quality and the overall performance
even if they said they were slightly buggy. The jaggies and
lego-effects in games and benchmarks were almost non-existent.