Drivers will not install

I am using the GeForce2 MX 400. I have a dual boot system with Win2K and Win
98SE on separate partitions. The Win2K drivers install and work just fine. They
are v 53.03. In the case of 98 SE, I am unable to install the drivers at all and am
stuck with a 640X480 resolution. I get the following error message from setup:

Setup Error, "Setup was unable to locate any NVIDIA graphics chips on
this system. The installation will be terminated."

I have tried at least a dozen different driver versions from the newest down to
about version 7, and all refuse to install exiting with the same error message. Any
help with this problem will be appreciated.

Sonny

With that older card and OS try using the 45.23 driver for stability.

--
DaveW

"Sonnsa Beechis" <beechis@aol.com> wrote in message
> I am using the GeForce2 MX 400. I have a dual boot system with Win2K and
Win
> 98SE on separate partitions. The Win2K drivers install and work just
fine. They
> are v 53.03. In the case of 98 SE, I am unable to install the drivers at
all and am
> stuck with a 640X480 resolution. I get the following error message from
setup:

> Setup Error, "Setup was unable to locate any NVIDIA graphics chips on
> this system. The installation will be terminated."
>
> I have tried at least a dozen different driver versions from the newest
down to
> about version 7, and all refuse to install exiting with the same error
message. Any
> help with this problem will be appreciated.
>
> Sonny

homer

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Make sure you downloaded the ones for windows 98. If you try to install the
wrong ones it will look like it finished the install but nothing happens. I
watch my son try to load 98 drivers on a xp box and each time the computer
started up it didn't have the drivers loaded. Go to nvidia and download the
drivers again and start over.

Homer

"Sonnsa Beechis" <beechis@aol.com> wrote in message
> I am using the GeForce2 MX 400. I have a dual boot system with Win2K and
Win
> 98SE on separate partitions. The Win2K drivers install and work just
fine. They
> are v 53.03. In the case of 98 SE, I am unable to install the drivers at
all and am
> stuck with a 640X480 resolution. I get the following error message from
setup:

> Setup Error, "Setup was unable to locate any NVIDIA graphics chips on
> this system. The installation will be terminated."
>
> I have tried at least a dozen different driver versions from the newest
down to
> about version 7, and all refuse to install exiting with the same error
message. Any
> help with this problem will be appreciated.
>
> Sonny

I have a P4R800-VM motherboard and have questions as to why it won't post.
Green light comes on then goes off and wont post. Nor will it supply power
to the HDD, Floppy or CDRW. Everything is brand new. The CPU is supported by
this board and is an Intel P4 2.8EGHz Prescott. The power supply and all
drives have been tested and work in another machine. I sent the motherboard
back to the manufacturer for repair and will be reinstalling this in a few
days. I am also using two Apacer 256MB single-sided chips in the blue slots,
part # 77.10636.19G.
Nvidia states the Part# 77.10636.18G has been tested to work on this board.
I contacted Apacer and the said these chips should work with this board.
Apacer quoted; "Thanks for contacting Apacer, The memory components for .18g
is Infinoen-winbond parts,
..19g is infinoen-SMIC parts. and that should work both".

Any help would be much appreciated!

"Sonnsa Beechis" <beechis@aol.com> wrote in message
> I am using the GeForce2 MX 400. I have a dual boot system with Win2K and
Win
> 98SE on separate partitions. The Win2K drivers install and work just
fine. They
> are v 53.03. In the case of 98 SE, I am unable to install the drivers at
all and am
> stuck with a 640X480 resolution. I get the following error message from
setup:

> Setup Error, "Setup was unable to locate any NVIDIA graphics chips on
> this system. The installation will be terminated."
>
> I have tried at least a dozen different driver versions from the newest
down to
> about version 7, and all refuse to install exiting with the same error
message. Any
> help with this problem will be appreciated.
>
> Sonny

DaveL

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2001

That's not an Nvidia motherboard. Nvidia has never even made a chipset for
an Intel processor. Your motherboard is from Asus and has an ATI IGP
chipset. Try posting to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

DaveL

"Jeffs PC" <jeffspc@mn.rr.com> wrote in message
> I have a P4R800-VM motherboard and have questions as to why it won't post.
> Green light comes on then goes off and wont post. Nor will it supply power
> to the HDD, Floppy or CDRW. Everything is brand new. The CPU is supported
by
> this board and is an Intel P4 2.8EGHz Prescott. The power supply and all
> drives have been tested and work in another machine. I sent the
motherboard
> back to the manufacturer for repair and will be reinstalling this in a few
> days. I am also using two Apacer 256MB single-sided chips in the blue
slots,
> part # 77.10636.19G.
> Nvidia states the Part# 77.10636.18G has been tested to work on this
board.
> I contacted Apacer and the said these chips should work with this board.
> Apacer quoted; "Thanks for contacting Apacer, The memory components for
..18g
> is Infinoen-winbond parts,
> .19g is infinoen-SMIC parts. and that should work both".
>
> Any help would be much appreciated!
>
> "Sonnsa Beechis" <beechis@aol.com> wrote in message
> > I am using the GeForce2 MX 400. I have a dual boot system with Win2K
and
> Win
> > 98SE on separate partitions. The Win2K drivers install and work just
> fine. They
> > are v 53.03. In the case of 98 SE, I am unable to install the drivers
at
> all and am
> > stuck with a 640X480 resolution. I get the following error message from
> setup:
> >
> > Setup Error, "Setup was unable to locate any NVIDIA graphics chips on
> > this system. The installation will be terminated."
> >
> > I have tried at least a dozen different driver versions from the newest
> down to
> > about version 7, and all refuse to install exiting with the same error
> message. Any
> > help with this problem will be appreciated.
> >
> > Sonny

DaveL

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2001

Well, I thought I'd take a crack at it anyway since I have nothing better to
do right now.

Do you have the cpu fan plugged into the correct header? Some mobos act
that way when you don't.

Maybe the power supply is not cut out for the power demanded of it. What
brand and power rating?

You could have something shorted. Try booting the motherboard outside of
the case with minimum configuration.

DaveL

"Jeffs PC" <jeffspc@mn.rr.com> wrote in message
> I have a P4R800-VM motherboard and have questions as to why it won't post.
> Green light comes on then goes off and wont post. Nor will it supply power
> to the HDD, Floppy or CDRW. Everything is brand new. The CPU is supported
by
> this board and is an Intel P4 2.8EGHz Prescott. The power supply and all
> drives have been tested and work in another machine. I sent the
motherboard
> back to the manufacturer for repair and will be reinstalling this in a few
> days. I am also using two Apacer 256MB single-sided chips in the blue
slots,
> part # 77.10636.19G.
> Nvidia states the Part# 77.10636.18G has been tested to work on this
board.
> I contacted Apacer and the said these chips should work with this board.
> Apacer quoted; "Thanks for contacting Apacer, The memory components for
..18g
> is Infinoen-winbond parts,
> .19g is infinoen-SMIC parts. and that should work both".
>
> Any help would be much appreciated!
>
> "Sonnsa Beechis" <beechis@aol.com> wrote in message
> > I am using the GeForce2 MX 400. I have a dual boot system with Win2K
and
> Win
> > 98SE on separate partitions. The Win2K drivers install and work just
> fine. They
> > are v 53.03. In the case of 98 SE, I am unable to install the drivers
at
> all and am
> > stuck with a 640X480 resolution. I get the following error message from
> setup:
> >
> > Setup Error, "Setup was unable to locate any NVIDIA graphics chips on
> > this system. The installation will be terminated."
> >
> > I have tried at least a dozen different driver versions from the newest
> down to
> > about version 7, and all refuse to install exiting with the same error
> message. Any
> > help with this problem will be appreciated.
> >
> > Sonny

DaveL

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2001

Before someone flames me, I forgot about the Xbox.

DaveL